IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis marojejyi

ellidro

Now that we are in the fall season in SoCal its getting cooler and I've noticed a few palms like it. Rusty and I were talking and both felt our Mad Foxes and Dypsis ambositraes are growing better now than they did in the middle of summer. Anyone else notice this with their palms?

Dypsis marojejyi surrounded by chicken wire to keep the dog out!

photo-12.jpg

• Upvote 2

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I don't grow either knowingly (are my D. kindreo really ambositrae?) but it looks like neither will make it here if they prefer cool weather. Too bad. I really like Mad Fox and the one in the photo is a beauty.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I understand for the chicken wire :

you have a blind dog not guide dog :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (French humor I can not help myself)

nb:

nevertheless you have a great Dypsis marojejyi.

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Nick, I agree that D. marojeyji hates the heat. The loss of mine this summer during a heat wave confirms it. But I'm not too sure about D. ambositrae. Both of mine in the ground seem to have powered right through the summer in full all day sun and never skipped a beat. If they love the cool also then all the better. One thing I have noticed is that some plants will grow better now that it's cooling down not necessarily because of the cool weather directly, but due to the soil being more evenly moist and not drying out so quickly.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Nick, I agree that D. marojeyji hates the heat. The loss of mine this summer during a heat wave confirms it. But I'm not too sure about D. ambositrae. Both of mine in the ground seem to have powered right through the summer in full all day sun and never skipped a beat. If they love the cool also then all the better.

Matty I agree with the ambositrae not skipping a beat with the heat. What I've noticed is it really greening up and the red colors really starting to show in the cooler temps. Also the white on the crown is getting more prominant. I think the ambositraes are a great plant for SoCal and will perform in all sorts of growing conditions.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Funny you mention that Nick as I was noticing my ambos were looking not too bad the other day. Yes they did fine in full sun this summer, but you're right; they just look a little better right now than in August.

Here's my biggest-still quite small compared to some other growers, but coming along. 2 years from a Phil Bergman liner.

DSC_0688.jpg

Edited by Peter
  • Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

That's good to know about D marojejyi. I've just put my two seedlings into the cooler darker part of my shadehouse for summer. D ambositrae tends to just keep on chugging away regardless but I did notice a slow down for seedlings in very hot weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My Dypsis decipiens have picked up the the pace since it has cooled.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Nick!

Thats too weird. I worked a block away from Rustys a couple days back and stopped to look and noticed his D. marojeyji was looking great. Enough that it reminded mine was overdue to water, etc.

It seemed to grow real slow during the height of summer and seems happier now. Mine looked good enough to take a pic and I even moved it out too, then decided I should keep watering.

Then I came in to see this thread and had to run back out and snap some pix.

1 gallon paint can for size reference and its in a 7 gal pot.

post-27-1258160012_thumb.jpg

post-27-1258160114_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Now that you mention it, I've noticed my D. ambostrae seedlings have moved more this last week with the weather cooling down here in West Central FL... They must be partial to the cooler weather too...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

How old do you think it is Bill? Ed

4-5 years old?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 8 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2009‎ ‎1‎:‎07‎:‎18‎, MattyB said:

Nick, I agree that D. marojeyji hates the heat. The loss of mine this summer during a heat wave confirms it. But I'm not too sure about D. ambositrae. Both of mine in the ground seem to have powered right through the summer in full all day sun and never skipped a beat. If they love the cool also then all the better. One thing I have noticed is that some plants will grow better now that it's cooling down not necessarily because of the cool weather directly, but due to the soil being more evenly moist and not drying out so quickly.

Don't care for Florida conditions. :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

How tall does it grow?

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

4 hours ago, SoulofthePlace said:

How tall does it grow?

Even the seeding ones in Hawaii seem to not be much taller than 6 feet, just broad. 

4 hours ago, Moose said:

Don't care for Florida conditions. :(

My three love the cool weather and never seem to get any winter damage. I got some 4" plants from Floribunda in late February. We got a late near-frost here and I lost a bunch of stuff from that shipment. The tiny D. marojejyi are all still alive and thriving, ready to be potted up.

edit: And because I can't resist sharing.

IMG_1433.JPG

• Upvote 8

Fantastique foto.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

I still have a (different) one in a pot.. someday I'll plant another..

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎24‎:‎00‎, BS Man about Palms said:

I still have a (different) one in a pot.. someday I'll plant another..

Don't give up, you will eventually unlock the secret. :winkie:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here's mine.

In ground at least 5 Winters, maybe 6 or 7.

Clay soil, constantly moist, dappled light. Has seen 30 degrees, and triple did-gets. LOVES WATER.

Concrete pavers are around the base because my chickens love to dig there.

P6250736 (Large).jpeg

P6250738 (Large).jpeg

P6250740 (Large).jpeg

• Upvote 2

Absolutely concur with Tom's cultural observations. Something else I just remembered: one of my kids fell on mine (pictured above) when it was relatively small in the ground and it seems to have not been affected. There was talk a while back about how these might want to be staked to prevent the sudden death syndrome these get, but I'm not sure that is true.

One other curiosity I forgot to include in my post:

I know two different growers who are by far more knowledgeable than myself who have lost much bigger specimens than mine after setting seed. Both said plants looked healthy and have no explanation for their sudden demise except setting seed.

Anybody else hear this?

On 6/24/2018, 7:34:15, Moose said:

Don't give up, you will eventually unlock the secret. :winkie:

When Bill finds the secret, please get a duplicate key made for me!  I killed two a while back, so obviously I was using the wrong technique.  Matt in the OC and Tom J in Vista seem to have come up with something though.  It certainly is an attractive Dypsis!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

When the secret gets out......please share!

I have managed to kill 3 of these to date, 2 in the ground and 1 in a pot. 

I grew this palm from a seedling to a large 5 gallon in my greenhouse.  After ground planting it died promptly ! :mrlooney:

San Francisco, California

13 hours ago, neoflora said:

Nice Tom! Where did you get it?

Dat be you Ron.... Don't let it set seed

Edited by TomJ

I keep forgetting about this one. It's probably around the same age as the one I shared above, but I pot planted it and it's been covered by Pritchardia leaves. I'm actually pretty impressed that it's still "alive!" 

IMG_1494.jpg

• 2 months later...

Over the last year my palm has been in more shade because of Cana Lily and a newly planted Red Abyssinian Banana.  I’ve noticed the leaves have a more two toned Variegation look.

P9260755 (Large).jpeg

P9260756 (Large).jpeg

P9260757 (Large).jpeg

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Matt,

Your Madfox looks even better in person.  Great job growing it.  

Thanks Joe! Great meeting you today.