IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Photos of Allagoptera species.

edbrown_III

Does any one grow other species of Allagoptera beside A. arenaria? I have a few photos of one I saw in Minais Gerais but poor quality. Does anyone have photos of other species that they could share?

I would be much obliged if would post any or others that you have. Much obliged for any following commentary.

Best regards

Ed

Ed,

PACSOA has some nice pictures of Allagoptera. I have an A. leucocalyx and A. arenaria, both in containers. With my cool night temps. the arenaria grows at a snail's pace, about 1 and 1/2 fronds a year, while the smaller leucocalyx grows much faster. Presumeably A. leuocalyx which grows further inland is more cold hardy. My A leucocalyx has a heavy texture and a nice deep green color.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 4 weeks later...

Last I was walking with my dog in the remaining´´campo´´that I have here and got some pics of plants and flowers.

Here are some A.leucocalyx. They are small because this part of the property has shallow soil,so that was the reason the campos weren´t destroyed... :hmm: :hmm: :blink:

post-465-1259857063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Pingo looks hungry :)

post-465-1259857235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

little flowering plant

post-465-1259857329_thumb.jpg

spatha / infl.

post-465-1259857414_thumb.jpg

closer

post-465-1259857539_thumb.jpg

close up

post-465-1259857589_thumb.jpg

Rock outcropings.

post-465-1259857883_thumb.jpg

Notocactus

post-465-1259857951_thumb.jpg

Aechmea distichanta

post-465-1259858013_thumb.jpg

Another VERY rare native palm... :lol:

post-465-1259858315_thumb.jpg

Alberto, please tell me the name of this palm? It looks like a Syagrus.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Alberto,

What is the last species? It looks like a Queen. You are lucky to have all those native palms growing on your property. I'm thinking A. leucocalix crossed with Butia would be an interesting hybrid. A. leucocalix seems to be much hardier than A. areneria, for me at least.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto, please tell me the name of this palm? It looks like a Syagrus.

Well, it´s names here are jerivá , baba-de-boi, coco catarro, coquinho, coqueiro-gerivá, gerivá or jeribá and the botanical books call it Syagrus romanzoffiana and in north America it´s called queen palm! :blink: I said it is a very rare palm! :lol:

A little better cultivated A.leucocalyx:

post-465-1259869774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto

Nice A. leucocalyx Alberto. Is it easy to get ripe seeds of this species? Never found them for sale before...is this palm adaptable for sandy soils?

PS: We all know you're the king of hybrids... but this dog Pingo is something else...he really looks like a cross involving a sagüi (mico leão dourado) :lol::lol: Better save me some of these seeds before Pingo thinks it's corn on the cob :drool:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Alberto,

Thanks for the photos --- its a big help -- you just dont see too many Allagoptera species in the US

I have some of the Geonoma seeds you sent a few years back they are large plants now-- I lost many of them but still have 6 large ones

Best regards

Ed

Gileno,I´ll try to collect some seeds!

Pingo isn´t a hybrid with a mico-leão but a pure Daschund :winkie:

Nice to hear there are survivors amongst the Geonomas. What caused the the dead of the others...it wasn´t the cold , was it? They die easier with hot and dry conditions.....

Nice to hear there are survivors amongst the Geonomas. What caused the the dead of the others...it wasn´t the cold , was it? They die easier with hot and dry conditions.....

Alberto, it seems that your climate is among the frostier places where the queen palm occurs naturally, yes? The nursery grown queens here in central California are cosmetically damaged below about 24 degrees. What happens to your native "high-altitude" inland queens when your temps hit 24? Could palms from your part of Parana be the key to getting tougher queens around the world? Or do you never get that cold?

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

Alberto, it seems that your climate is among the frostier places where the queen palm occurs naturally, yes? The nursery grown queens here in central California are cosmetically damaged below about 24 degrees. What happens to your native "high-altitude" inland queens when your temps hit 24? Could palms from your part of Parana be the key to getting tougher queens around the world? Or do you never get that cold?

24F that is -4.4´C, a cold but normal winter temperature here. The coldest it was said to be nearly -10´C :huh::hmm::blink:

Thanks Alberto...Allagoptera is not an easy genus for me here, except Polyandrococos...

Even A. arenaria takes forever to establish after germination.

Sorry I'm not familiar with Daschund dogs...I thought they all had black ears?? Pingo looks nice but these blonde ears reminded me of a mico leão. I hope he didn't really enjoy the taste of the Allagoptera infructescense though... :winkie:

Thanks Alberto...Allagoptera is not an easy genus for me here, except Polyandrococos...

Even A. arenaria takes forever to establish after germination.

That is strange,because my A.arenaria from seeds are bigger than that A.lecocalyx on the campos.

They are growing in sandy soil and receives fertilizers of course. But in your climate......near the sea (A.arenaria is a restinga palm!!!) It must grow like a weed. In fact I consider it strange that it grows so good here.... Maybe it need a mychorriza that my soil has because of the native A.leucocalyx????? Take some soil from that Euterpe edulis pot (the one you told that died) and water it in the soil of your arenarias. Maybe it will help.....

Oi gileno,

Please post a pic of your best A.arenaria and I´ll do the same. How old are yours?

Alberto,

Have you tried crossing Butia with A. leucocalix? Butias seem to be the prostitutes of the Cocoid world and seem to cross eaisly with just about anything. For me, A leucocalix grows much faster than A. arenaria and it must be much more cold tollerent. You are lucky to have them growing on your property. They are rare in the USA.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

Have you tried crossing Butia with A. leucocalix? Butias seem to be the prostitutes of the Cocoid world and seem to cross eaisly with just about anything. For me, A leucocalix grows much faster than A. arenaria and it must be much more cold tollerent. You are lucky to have them growing on your property. They are rare in the USA.

Dick

I tried Butia pollen on my Allagoptera without succes. Maybe the reverse will be more succesfull...?

I have have Allagoptera leucocalyx and someone in Florida have plenty of Serenoa´s and doesn´t care....

BTW What are Serenoas sloooowwwwwwwwww!!!!!! Lack of a Mychorriza?

Some of my +-5 years old A.arenaria from seed,planted out on a sandy acid soil close to the house protected from freeze winds

post-465-1260388819_thumb.jpg

Other angle (3 plants)

And pic-my best plant

post-465-1260388958_thumb.jpg

post-465-1260388991_thumb.jpg

The slowest of my A.arenaria planted on a more exposed spot.

post-465-1260389096_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

Serenoas are slow even here in their native habitat. They are nearly indestructible but are slow as molasses.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Also do you have any hints for germinating Allagoptera seeds? Mine just seem to want to sit there and do nothing.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Also do you have any hints for germinating Allagoptera seeds? Mine just seem to want to sit there and do nothing.

-Krishna

The viability of Allagoptera seeds is generally very short! Fresh seeds germinate fast..........

That is probably my problem then :hmm: Thanks for the info!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Gileno, I want to see your arenarias! :rolleyes::winkie:

If they want grow well at your place and climate,there MUST be a reason!

Hey Brother,

It's a shame my arenarias perform so poorly up here in the Northeast...it's probably a matter of mycorhiza as you think...

PS: I'm glad you and Nelly are both going to attend the Biennial in Rio. :greenthumb: What other people from the South are coming this time, besides Lorenzi and Junior from São Paulo? From up here I know Liana and Hoover have already registered and maybe Rufino is also coming along...Carlos Alex from Bahia said he was coming to Rio as well...you want some more coconut polen that I could take with me in April?