IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

List of Aquatic Palms

www.dadluvsu.com

A much longer list than expected.......still very short for palms I can grow....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

No, John; say it 'aint so!!!!!!

Sigh.......

Try the C. cataractum.

Pat

A much longer list than expected.......still very short for palms I can grow....

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Thanks for the links.....it will be useful for my next project.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

No, John; say it 'aint so!!!!!!

Sigh.......

Try the C. cataractum.

Pat

So, sorry....its so.... (sigh)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

• 2 months later...

Aquatic?

No, I don't think so. I think a better name is a list of palms that will take flooding.

Aquatic is wholly different.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...

There could have been some more on that list. Livistona benthamii and L. rigida grow standing in water. (Also out of water.)

• 1 year later...

Dave hit the nail on the head. Though an interesting read, I agree that most of those palms on the list can't take sustained soaking or have to have a certain portion of their faculties above the water line. When I think aquatic, I don't think Copernicia alba...

Oddly enough, in habitat many Copernicia live in seasonal flood plains. Many individuals can and do live with submerged rootballs for extended eriods of time... Check out these albas!!! :greenthumb:

CoperniciaAlbainundacion.jpg

Certainly not aquatic as fish, but maybe along the lines of mudskippers? :hmm:

mudskipper.jpg

Bill, I have my Miraguamas and a Bismarckia sitting in 10" of water the whole summer with tadpoles and the occasional mosquito larvae(tadpole food), but I wouldn't say either of these palms are "aquatic"... Kiddie pools really save on watering plus they add makeshift habitat for the aforementioned.

GREAT IDEA on the kiddie pools - I really need to do something like this :) (Those pools are super cheap, too!)

Edited by santoury

• 3 weeks later...