IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Grub Worms

DippyD

Just curious to if anyone has had any dealing with grub worms which aparently are larva from june bugs. i recently had a couple palms stuggle and was curious if this could be my problem. Is there something that will kill them without hurting my plants. From what i read they do eat roots which would explain why a couple palms went sour. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Palmfreek

There are lawn products such as Grubex for killing grubs. Do a web search on "grubs lawn". Don't know if grubs eat palm roots, but the manufacturer's specs would probably tell you if their product hurts certain types plants. I doubt these products would hurt any plant since plants are often planted in the middle of lawns or on the edge of lawns. These products are effective, but are only really efffective if applied at the right time of year.

You could have the raccoons come in and look for them like they do at my house....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

These are common if you mulch heavily. I've never had a problem with them hurting any plants as far as I know.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yep.

I've got those here too.

Ortho makes something like GrubMax or something...

It's in a black glossy bag...

I was wondering the same...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

We have them here in the Desert. I find many of them in every plant I dig up, or transplant, and occasionally in pots I pot up. But I did not know they eat roots. That concerns me.... :blink:

These are common if you mulch heavily. I've never had a problem with them hurting any plants as far as I know.

I haven't had any problem with those bugs. I have most of my garden profusely mulched and is easy to found both larvae, and adult form. There are larvae form of a rhino beetle. In my country there are only Oryctes nasicornis, and as far I know there are not bad boys.

There is another beetle very close to Oryctes nasicornis, it is called Oryctes rhinocerus and it is very dangerous to young palms.

rgh1241690286h.jpg

bfi1241690329o.jpg

I really don't know where can be found those, but not in my country, this is for sure.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Just dig thru your mulch or compost areas and collect them. Heard that they were a high protein food (eaten by certain cultures), delicious when fried to a golden brown. There will always be a few that will turn into those big beautiful green June Bugs which are fun to tie a long thin string to and fly them around the yard. Didn't you ever do that as kids?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!