IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brazil 2009 - a prelude to the 2010 Biennial

Licuala

Mahalo for sharing the great photos - the Areca vestiaria is a personal favorite palm for me - I'm glad we can look forward to seeing more of these beauties in Brazil.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Mahalo for sharing the great photos - the Areca vestiaria is a personal favorite palm for me - I'm glad we can look forward to seeing more of these beauties in Brazil.

Aloha Dan!

Seems like you could get your fill of Areca vestiaria on the Big Island by just going over to Bo's! :lol:

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Thus far, I have covered 3 days of activities. The day most people will arrive is Saturday, April 17. As always, there will be a welcoming dinner at the hotel that evening. On Sunday, April 18, we will take the trip toward Teresopolis and the visit to Serra dos Orgaos National Park followed by the visit to see the large population of Attaleas. On Monday, April 19, is the visit to the Rio Botanical Garden. Tuesday, April 20, we will go to the Roberto Burle Marx Garden, Prainha National Park, and Herminio’s nursery and Garden. Although not quite in order here, these are the events so far covered.

As has been customary for the last several Biennial, we have one day that is a free day for people to do what they please or take optional tours that the tour operator provides. That day will be on Wednesday, April 21. There is much to see in the city of Rio as well as touristy things that people may want to see. Some may want to revisit the Rio Garden as there is just so much to see there. Others may want to just take a day sitting by the pool or head for Copacabana Beach. Wednesday to be a day to do whatever attendees would like to do that cannot be done during the rest of the Biennial.

On Thursday, April 22, we will stay close to home and visit the Tijuca Forest and go up to the Christ the Redeemer monument on Corcovado Mountain.

Christ the Redeemer monument from the city.

ChristtheRedeemerBrasil119.jpg

Christ the Redeemer monument. Photo borrowed from the internet.

283px-Cristo_Redentor_Rio_de_Janeir.jpg

The once cleared area that constitutes the 8000 acre Tijuca Forest was re-planted over 140 years ago and supports a large number of native plant species. While time constraints did not allow as an opportunity to visit the Tijuca Forest or Corcovado Mountain this past trip, we talked to many who said it would be a wonderful opportunity to see native palms and other plants. There are walking trails and we will take minibuses on some of the roads through the forest allowing us to see as much as possible.

At 2300 feet above the city, the view from the Christ the Redeemer monument should be simply amazing. It stands on top of Corcovado Mountain which can be seen from all of Rio.

The view from Christ the Redeemer monument. Photo borrowed from the internet.

800px-Rio_de_Janeiro_Helicoptero_47.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

In the afternoon, we will go to Aterro do Flamengo Park that is situated on the bay-front of Rio. This park was designed by Roberto Burle Marx and constructed in the 1950s. It has many mature palms and unusual trees planted in large groupings throughout the park. People can wander or just take it easy amongst the park’s beautiful setting.

AterrodoFlamengoBrazil091.jpg

Some older Hyophorbe lagenicaulis planted in the park

HyophorbelagenicsaulisdAterrodoFlam.jpg

A large grouping of Pritchardias next to the roadway in the park.

PritchardiaspAterrodoFlamengoBrazil.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla looking very healthy

SyagrusschizophyllaAterrodoFlamengo.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

A magnificent grouping of cannonball trees

CannonBallTreeAterrodoFlamengoBrazi.jpg

Dypsis decaryi makes quite the statement when planted en masse

DypsisdecaryiAterrodoFlamengoBrazil.jpg

It is always a treat to see a Corypha umbraculifera in flower :mrlooney:

CoryphaumbraculiferaAterrodoFlam-1.jpg

Seeing four Corypha in a row in flower is virtually mind-blowing! :drool: There were a total of 8 in flower, all close to each other. This will still be quite a sight in April as they should all be in seed by then. Definitely astounding to see.

CoryphaumbraculiferaAterrodoFlameng.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

During the afternoon the Sugarloaf Mountain cable car ride will be offered to those interested. Sugarloaf Mountain is another high vantage point to see all of Rio from.

The lower section of the cable car ride

SugarloafcablecarRio074.jpg

The upper section of the cable car ride up to Sugarloaf Mountain

SugarloafcablecarRio089.jpg

At the end of the day, we will head for the adjoining Porcao restaurant, a famous Brazilian churrascaria where we will get a chance to eat excellent Brazilian beef and drink a caipirinha or two.

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Friday, April 23 is the last full day of the Biennial and it should turn out to be a memorable day in all aspects of the trip!

We will travel to Jill Menzel’s ranch, about an hour and a half from the hotel, where we will spend the day and into the night for the farewell dinner. Many surprises will be in store for the attendees and it will be a day no one will want to miss.

On the way to Fazenda Boa Esperanca, the name of Jill’s ranch, we will see some palms in habitat. One that is not native here, but has certainly made this area its home is Raphia farinifera. It has naturalized in some areas and now grows in large stands.

RaphiafariniferaBrazil088.jpg

Raphia farinifera next to the road

RaphiafariniferaBrazil087.jpg

There are 2 different Attalea species near Jill’s. One is a short trunkless species and then there is this large trunked species. I promise by April to have names for all these palms.

AttaleaspbyJill085.jpg

This is another Astrocaryum species growing near the ranch.

AstrocaryumspbyJill094.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Fazenda Boa Esperanca is a working cattle ranch with 1100 head of cattle.

CowsJillsRanch083.jpg

There are areas of the ranch that are heavily wooded and trails will be cut through some of them so that attendees can do some hiking and see palms and other plants in habitat. Some of these areas are isolated and Jill has been working to link them together by planting native trees, palms, and shrubs to create pathways for animals and birds to travel between them.

In just 5 years, it has already made a difference in the amount of wildlife that can be seen throughout the ranch. The Golden Lion Tamarin monkey is an endangered species that lives in areas of the ranch. We may get a chance to see some of them if we are lucky.

The entrance to the ranch is rather non-descript and at the end of a road. On the way up to the main house there are many palms growing on either side of the driveway.

A beautiful specimen of Allagoptera caudescens

AllagopteracaudescensJill044.jpg

The flower spike of Allagoptera caudescens in full flower

AllagopteracaudescenJill057.jpg

Mauritia flexuosa growing directly in water

MauritiaflexuosaJill051.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

One of several handsome Butia capitatas

ButiacapitataJill062.jpg

This is a view of the ranch taken near the house. It is a large ranch, to put it mildly.

JillsRanch050.jpg

There are many palms to see here, both native and exotic species planted over a large area. Near the main house are some beautiful palms such as this Verschaffeltia splendida that is at that most photogenic size.

VerschaffeltiasplendidaJills016.jpg

This is the newest leaf of Phoenicophorium borsignianum demanding a photo be taken.

PhoenicophoriumborsignianumJill027.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

This is an orange crownshaft Euterpe, that they call simply orange crownshaft Euterpe edulis. It reminded me a bit of the Euterpe catinga growing in Pauleen Sullivan’s garden in Kapoho, Hawaii. The difference is this is a solitary palm and the orange is more vibrant on this one. It is a beauty regardless. :mrlooney:

EuterpeedulisorangeJill006.jpg

A close-up of the crownshaft

EuterpeedulisorangeJill040.jpg

Lytocaryum weddelianum growing together in a grouping

LytocaryumweddelianumJill022.jpg

The fruit is unique in the way it splits open exposing the seed sections when the seed is ripe. This often happens while the fruit is still attached to the palm.

LytocaryumweddelianumJill037.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Mauritiella armata growing by the pond near the house.

MauritiellaarmataJills037.jpg

Nani is a pet black cayman that lives in the pond. It appeared about 5 years ago and has taken up residence here while growing vup. He is now 7 feet or perhaps more. Nani knows his name and comes when called right to the water’s edge. One of his favorite snacks is fresh French bread. This is him grabbing a piece. I would imagine he will be seen by all who attend the day’s festivities. Keep any small dogs home …………. :rolleyes:

NaniJills003.jpg

Dypsis rivularis, which is a palm that simply will not grow in South Florida

DypsisrivularisJills018.jpg

A close-up of the crownshaft

DypsisrivularisJills021.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

And of course the obligatory photo of Cyrtostachys renda, always a must see!

CyrtostachysrendaJills044.jpg

CyrtostachysrendaJills046.jpg

Calyptrocalyx albertisiana with a newly emerging red leaf

CalyptrocalyxalbertisianusJill002.jpg

Asterogyne martiana

AsterogynemartianaJill024.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Further out in the ranch are areas being developed such as a Japanese Garden and African Garden. Along the way is a covered bridge, like you would find in Vermont, but with Syagrus flexuosa growing in large clumps next to it. This area features all the Brazilian native palm species

SyagrusflexuosaJills053.jpg

SyagrusflexuosaJills054.jpg

Well, I think you start getting the picture that there is lots to see here. :mrlooney: I have only touched on the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. People can do as much exploring or as little as they see fit. There is plenty of area to relax and just take in the beauty of the ranch for those who wish, but for the real explorer and absolute palm nut, it will be difficult to see all there is to see.

During the course of the day, people can go to a palm heart factory that is very close by for a tour of how palm hearts are processed. It is quite an interesting thing to see and I highly recommend going.

Entrance to Aguas Claras de Maratua, The palm heart factory

PalmHeartFactorybyJill101.jpg

These are some of the products made. They will be made available to anyone who would like some.

PalmHeartFactorybyJill108.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

The palm hearts are harvested from Bactris gasiapaes. These are palms ready for harvest. As stems get large enough, they are harvested making room for more stems to grow for later harvest. These are the spineless variety of Bactris gasipaes, which makes it much easier to handle.

PalmHeartFactorybyJill102.jpg

This is a field of young Bactris recently planted. It takes 3-5 years for them to develop stems large enough to harvest.

PalmHeartFactorybyJill112.jpg

Later in the afternoon the festivities will begin with a full Brazilian barbecue with all the fixings. This is where the surprises will begin and this promises to be one of the best farewell sendoffs of any biennial. Buses will start taking people back to the hotel after dinner, but for those who stay a while longer, the party will last as long as …………… :rolleyes::wacko:

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Well, I have reached the end of this adventure. I hope it has helped enlighten y’all as to what is in store for attendees of the 2010 Biennial. It will be a good one and I would encourage you to attend. Let’s make it one of the best ever, if not the very best!

See you there! :)

Pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Right outside the Garden office was this beautiful plant, which I am still trying to figure out. I know I have seen it before ………. somewhere, but clueless what it is. Anyone have an idea? :hmm:

BurleMarx027.jpg

They are Pentagonia... something that I have given up growing.... Maybe one day I will try again...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Paul,

Thanks for all the amazing photos! And it's not everybody who get to enjoy and appreciate all this twice! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Right outside the Garden office was this beautiful plant, which I am still trying to figure out. I know I have seen it before ………. somewhere, but clueless what it is. Anyone have an idea? :hmm:

BurleMarx027.jpg

They are Pentagonia... something that I have given up growing.... Maybe one day I will try again...

Regards, Ari :)

Thanks for the ID Ari! It certainly is a kool plant.

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

RE Post # 38: Aloha Dan! Seems like you could get your fill of Areca vestiaria on the Big Island by just going over to Bo's!

Aloha Paul – yes, I never miss a garden tour opportunity over at Bo’s palm palace in Leilani Estates. Bo and his lovely wife Karolyn are always wonderful and gracious hosts for our local Hawai’i Island Palm Society member events. For me, I can never get my fill of seeing tall stands of Areca vestiaria palms with their glowing orange and red crown shafts.

RE Post #51: Dypsis rivularis, which is a palm that simply will not grow in South Florida

Aloha Paul – Donald Sanders and I recently took a cross-island day drive over to see Jeff & Suchin Marcus. As usual, Jeff took a lot of time to lead us through the Floribunda “palm jungle” to show us new and exciting palms as well as palms that might appeal to our individual palm preferences. Jeff knows that I have a fondness for colorful palms, especially those with some red or orange colorations. So, Jeff went in search of a rare treasure that he had hidden away for safekeeping. He had hidden it so well that it took him about 30 minutes of searching to find it. The result of Jeff’s efforts: I now have a beautiful Dypsis rivularis palm growing in a favored irrigated location next to my palm hale!

I look forward to seeing those Dypsis rivularis palms growing in Brazil.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Paulo, (as they will call you in Brazil),

Thanks for the preview. I hope to be able to participate. Over the years I have spent a lot of time in Rio and lived there in the late 80´s. It will be great to get back again and be with many people to learn from. Although I get a daily diet of life in Rio on TV, it is always a pleasure to be there. I love the mountains and coast.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Paulo, (as they will call you in Brazil),

Thanks for the preview. I hope to be able to participate. Over the years I have spent a lot of time in Rio and lived there in the late 80´s. It will be great to get back again and be with many people to learn from. Although I get a daily diet of life in Rio on TV, it is always a pleasure to be there. I love the mountains and coast.

dk

Don,

I hope you can attend as well. I am really looking forward to going back as I did not see everything becuase of our limited time. I plan on visiting more of the country as well when I return.

Hope to see you in April! :)

Paul, Pablo, Paulo, ................. I will answer to just about anything :lol:

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Paul,

Just a small minor correction, Dypsis rivularis is growing quite well here in South Florida.I've personally seen a few pushing 5' now and looking quite good. One was planted as far north as Melbourne,Fl. Another is here growing in Mike Harris's garden in Davie. Mine are doing well, but not as big.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Paul,

Just a small minor correction, Dypsis rivularis is growing quite well here in South Florida.I've personally seen a few pushing 5' now and looking quite good. One was planted as far north as Melbourne,Fl. Another is here growing in Mike Harris's garden in Davie. Mine are doing well, but not as big.

Hey Jeff,

wow, that is excellent news. I never did have any luck with them, and I know others that had difficulty getting them past 3 or 4 years old. It must be something in that Davie and Melbourne soil!

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

• 2 months later...

Paul thanks for taking all the photo's for all of us who cannot attend. I imagine when my little girls get bigger we can leave them to be able to go to one of these ......or they may want to come as well. Anyway thanks again for the tour.....ya'll have a great time.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil