IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trip to Central Paraná.

Alberto

Two weeks ago there was a holiday here and i got two more days vacation. My family, my parents and all my sisters families,went to a warm water resort in Jurema , Central Paraná. The climate there is a lot warmer than here on the second tableland, because of the low altitude and it´s also located northern from here.

The distance from Carambeí to Jurema is +- 300 km.

I didn´t saw so many palms on the road,(mostly queens) but I photographed some of them. I saw Acrocomia totai,a Butiagrus,a Sabal species(?) and most interesting of all: Euterpe edulis growing in the warm region of Jurema but also a few trees in the araucaria forest ,in a region that officialy isn´t the home of this species!!! In fact I saw only a few specimens in the county of Reserva,+ - 120 km from here.This region is a little bit warmer than my region,but this trees probably saw several frosts in the past!

I want to return this saturday to Reserva to see if i can find seeds or seedlings of this palms..... (a crazy palmnut)

State Paraná  in Brazil:

280px-Brazil_State_Parana.svg.png " target="_blank">http://www.iapar.br/Sma....MG]

post-465-1161653005_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Acrocomia totai (non native tree in my region-2nd tableland)

post-465-1161653202_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

XButiagrus ( B.eriospatha x Queen)

post-465-1161653549_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fronds

post-465-1161653681_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Trunk detail

post-465-1161653780_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Vieuw.

post-465-1161654004_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sabal species(???) - very rare here!

post-465-1161654284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Big fronds.

post-465-1161654445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Crown with inflorescences

post-465-1161654669_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Native Euterpe edulis at the Jurema resort

post-465-1161654852_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

More palmitos:

post-465-1161654967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Warm water pools-Dyppis lutescens

post-465-1161655138_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another vieuw

post-465-1161655308_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Climate regions in Paraná.

I live near Ponta Grossa and Jurema resort is near Campo Mourão:                                                                        ClassCli.jpg

• Like 1

Map showing the regions were Euterpe edulis is native:Light green ( very abundant at dark green-region near the sea)

(I found some native growing in the ´´central white region´´between -25 / -26 and -51 / -50, in Araucaria angustifolia forest,that means higher altitude,fresher and with frosts in winter)

kirchners%20f2a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those photos, Alberto. It is nice having a member in the area that Araucaria angustifolia grows wild.  I loved seeing a few in those pics. The XButiagrus looks nice as well, as does the Sabal. Not sure which one that is.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Yes, thanks for sharing these photos from your area of Brasil.  I remember seeing a few Euterpe edulis in the wild in the forest near Foz do Iguasu when my wife & I visited those incredibly beautiful waterfalls some years ago.  Hopefully you might be able to find a form of Euterpe edulis that can grow for you and can even survive some frost.  It is a handsome palm.  Keep us informed on your experience with it.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hai Alberato  :)

those pictures were very nice. and i often said

that this forum has the reputation of beaming

stills & lovely pictures from around the globe_

as seen in national geography channel,discovery

channel & at times giving information like_BBC(

panaroma or Earth file).

so your pictures just proved my point right !  :)

thanks/love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Alberto, as always I really enjoyed those pics.

A Euterpe edulis that can take a little frost is very interesting. It was particularly noticeable the way they disappeared as you climbed the tableland, so if you found some with hardiness then thats amazing.

If you find a few seeds dont forget me !!

muito obrigado e ate logo meu amigo

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Hi,

Euterpes are really nice and elegant! Thank you very much for the photos and the information. I have a doubt, is Butiagrus a natural hybrid?

Regards,

Carlos

A hardy Euterpe really would be a find.  I always thought of them as very tropical looking, so a hardy, tropical looking palm would answer the dreams of many colder climate growers.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

All, you can find Foz do Iguaçú at the West of the of the climatic map. The climate there is frostfree ,so Euterpe can be seen in big numbers at some places.

Carlos,this palm is a natural hybrid since I have never seen one in a nursery.

For all the brits,I´ll not give hope..... I think that at least it will grow here.... I cannot imagine them growing outside in the UK.....! Nigel,your portuguese is very good!

(I hope you can always understand my poor English)

Thank your Kris for your kind words.

If it´s not rainy this Saturday, I will return to Reserva county!!!!!!

On this brazilian sites I found intersting info (in portuguese  :(   ) Min.temp.:-5.8 in Orleães!....

http://www.ckagricola.com/ckagric....ara.doc

http://geodesia.ufsc.br/Geodesi....116.htm

• Upvote 1

Cool pics Alberto! Thanks.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Thanks for the photos.

Do you have any of the Araucaria forest?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 4 weeks later...

Today i finally returned to this place (850 m altitude!)with a cousin and his wife. We collected some seeds and seedlings. The following days I´ll post photos and show you this very interesting trip!

Alberto,

Thanks for all the nice pictures!  I especially enjoy the Euterpe edulis.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Alberto,

Thanks for the pictures of life down south.  It is a long time since I have been around your neck of the woods, and when I was I really was not paying much attention to palm trees.  Your Euterpe looks great, they look a lot like their cousins around here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That Koppen Cfa climate is a reasonable match to Florida.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I wonder where my E.edulis came from ???   I am  a cool 10a and they have grown quite well,  if slowly in pots .   4 leaves a year maximum.  I think its time to plant them.   So they will be going in as a group.   Unfortunately,  its only after I bought the 4 palms 3 years ago that I heard there were clumping forms and saw my first E. precaroria.   Alberto.   Is the E. precaroria more tropical in its requirements,  or are there also varieties with high elevation   provenance ?

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

The only Euterpe that sees frost in habitat is E.edulis!

This one that I found growing in Araucaria angustifolia forest (something that don´t match in my brain....Araucaria and palmitos growing together!)  at 850m altitude, probably are one of the cold hardiest strains(?) The palmito is very common near the sea (west)in a humid practically frostfree region,and also around the tablelands (North and East> Foz do Iguaçú) in warmer lowlands.

• Upvote 1

Pines grow in frost free areas of the Caribbean and the Florida Keys, so it figures that their southern hemisphere (actually, Gondwanan) counterparts the Araucarias do, too.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

In south Brazil ,Araucarias only grow at elevations above 700 m. (in southeast only at higher altitudes: +-1000-2000m)They need a colder and fresher climate to look a ´´normal´´tree. Sometimes I see cultivated trees near the sea but they generally look strange and sick.

Araucarias with Euterpes........STRANGE!

Chris,

I would say that the E. precatoria is strictly an amazonian palm of the humid tropical forest region.  It would be interesting to see where the palms limit is as regards to mountains though.  The highest point in Brazil is here in Amazonas, 3014 meters (Pico da Neblina) and a lot of the area that leads up to the peak is covered in forest.  As the elevation rises  there would undoubtedly be  changes in species composition.  It is a 2 to 5 day hike (depending on the persons ability) through the forest to get to the peak. To get to the trail head it is a trip of 125 kms by road and 2 days by boat. This is one of the most isolated and wild places in Brazil and would probably be an interesting trip.  Although the E. precatoria is very common around here I still find it one of the most attractive native trees.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I ´ve sent seeds several times to USA. No problems!

Oh ok. I have the small lots of Seed import permit thingy so I can get up to 50 seeds per plant. I am glad you dont ever have issues with sending things here.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 3 weeks later...

The provenance of this ´´palmitos´´(Araucaria forest) suggests  it is hardier than the ´´regular´´ palmitos that come from the Atlantic Forest. I´ll plant a lot of this seeds in my araucaria forest!!!.... And I´d like to swap seeds of cold hardy palms.....

PS generally there is little interest in Swaping seeds....I don´t know why?

Last year I cleaned a lot of Attalea dubia seeds ( a very tough work) that I found in a neighbor county and didn´t receive an E-mail of somebody interested..... Why??......................?

The pictures were great Alberto Iwas aroud the same area last year traveling from Argentina to Rio. I live in Loma Linda California and the Wintee rnights can get quite cold. my friend Bill and I are both into palms and we will love to swap some seeds with you.Take care SHALOM

• 2 weeks later...

Alberto,

Thanks for posting.  It is hard to find a more rewarding palm to grow than Acrocomia.  It grows so quickly that the rewards come sooner than later.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B