IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2 Huge xButyagrus

GreenIslandPalms

I just got these two beauties. I was hoping to see if anyone on this forum could help to give me a little history of where these might have originally come from. All I know is that they were in the ground at a nursery (I believe it was an orchid nursery) in Half Moon Bay, CA. From what I was told, when the nursery owner past away, his daughter had them dug up and put in these large plywood boxes where they have sat at an orchard in Morgan Hill, CA for the last 4-5 years. They look similar in size and shape to the large xButyagrus at the Oakland Palmatum and I was wondering if there was some connection there. I was just wondering if anyone might have known where these originally came from, who might have done the cross, or how they ended up in Half Moon Bay, CA? They are beautiful palms, and I hope to get them in the ground somewhere soon! Here are a few pics unloading from the truck to their temporary home.

post-3311-1254682574_thumb.jpg

post-3311-1254682627_thumb.jpg

post-3311-1254682675_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great looking palms indeed! I do hope someone can add to the story... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

It almost looks like it has some Jubea in there....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very nice.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Wow Mike!

What a find and in N. Calif. too. I bet the only way you can find out where they came from is to track down the daughter who had them moved into boxes and she might know their origan. I haven't a clue where they might have come from.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

It almost looks like it has some Jubea in there....

I agree, they definately show some Jubaea like characteristics. That is another reason why I was hoping to get some history on these guys, to maybe help clarify what kind of parental genes were contributed.

Mike,

Those palms look to "stretched out" to have Jubaea in them. The spathes are smooth and green and my Bujubaea has rust tomentum on the spathes. Some mules can grow to be very robust and large.

There used to be a guy named Bartley Swartz who lived in Walnut Creek who was interested in palms, and I remember he had quite a few large potted ones, but I forget what kind. I heard he moved to Half Moon Bay and was hybridizing cold hardy orchids. I wonder if there could be any connection there with your palms?

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I don't see any Jubaea in those, other than they're huge. But mature Syagrus and Butia are very large palms, so there ya go.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Nice palms, but no Jubaea for sure. They look like classic xButyagrus.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I was thinking the smooth trunk was the Jubea part, but I defer to all the experts!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'd wager they were from Bartley Schwartz's collection. He also had some Parajubaeas and Rhopalostylis and Ceroxylon in containers. He never wanted to plant anything in the ground. His orchid greenhouses were incredible -- seas of Masdevallias, like tiny kites, in a humid meat-locker atmosphere. He also created many Abutilon hybrids. Quite the plantsman.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Mike,

Do you plan to keeps the hybrids for yourself, of sell them? They must be worth a small fortune and particulary in N. Calif. I bet those are the only large specimens that are boxed in N. Calif.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I'd wager they were from Bartley Schwartz's collection. He also had some Parajubaeas and Rhopalostylis and Ceroxylon in containers. He never wanted to plant anything in the ground. His orchid greenhouses were incredible -- seas of Masdevallias, like tiny kites, in a humid meat-locker atmosphere. He also created many Abutilon hybrids. Quite the plantsman.

Jason and Dick,

I think you may be right about them being from Bartly Schwartz´s collection. After doing some research (basically googleing his name) it turns out he had a big orchid nursery in Half Moon Bay called Highland Tropicals. He was also quite the hybridizer too, as he had several hybrid orchids he created and were named after him. When he passed away in 2004, it said that his children sold most of his collection and were in the process of selling the nursery. This seems like it pretty much fits the same timeframe and senario of the limited information I got when bought them. Now I just need to find out if he did the cross himself to create these beautiful palms, or if he got them from somewhere/someone else?

Mike,

Do you plan to keeps the hybrids for yourself, of sell them? They must be worth a small fortune and particulary in N. Calif. I bet those are the only large specimens that are boxed in N. Calif.

Dick

Dick,

I'm not sure what I am going to do, I originally bought them to sell. But since they have been here I have grown quite attached to them. They are definately a rare find, and I think you are right, they are probably the largest boxed xButyagrus's in the state! I think what I am leaning towards is holding on to them and using them as a dispaly for my nursery. I have been slowly acquiring xButyagrus and other interesting cocoid hybrids in large numbers with the intention of being a much needed west coast outlet for these beautiful palms. Some very talented hybridizers from all over the country have been very generous with their time, knowledge, and palms in order to help me with this project. So we will see how it goes.

Kris and Kathryn,

Thanks for the comments, I will keep any progress posted.

Mike

• 8 years later...

Whatever happened to these palms? :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B