IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Cycads for Sale

Phil

Floridacollector,

Kinky is a word plant people use to refer to rare, really cool things. But, what is rare and cool to one person may not be to another. I showed a picture above of a Brahea edulis, far from rare out here. But, to someone in Mississippi, this could be a real gem. And a rare Zamia would hold no interest to them. So, in this thread, I have to play a bit of a guessing game as to what would appeal to people. I try to mix it up a bit. One of the hardest things is trying to remember if I sold a particular plant that I photographed a month or two ago. Fortunately, we usually have backups.

Below is an interesting Ceratozamia species. You might jump on and say this is a mexicana. But the leaflets are so long and fairly wide. I think Loran Whitelock would admit that his book doesn't attempt to really describe all the "species" of CZ's there are in Mexico and Central America. After all, they hadn't even been described yet. Since he published, multiple species have emerged. Once I went through our greenhouse and pulled at least 25 different looking Ceratozamias. All would agree: different. But, this is more than the number of described species.

Ceratozamia%205g%20unknown%20sp.%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Below is a plant that I would call mexicana.

Ceratozamia%20mexicana%20(Large).jpg

And, below is another. I will admit that identifying plants from leaf and petiole appearance can be risky. ID depends on the reproductive parts in plants, and with cycads that is their cone. Some would argue it's just like your kids: they all appear a bit different. Regardless, all three plants are a bit different and all beautiful.

Ceratozamia%20mexicana%20another%2015g%206%20inch%20(Large).JPG

Here's a Ceratozamia kuesteriana, a thin leafed species. Twenty years ago these were more available, but harder to find nowadays.

Ceratozamia%20kuesteriana%206%20inches%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Now here's a smaller but very different Ceratozamia. Look at the red petiole. And the leaves are thin and go straight out. I have this "species" as "tlachinol hidalgo". If these were Dypsis, people would be going crazy with comments.

Ceratozamia%20tlachinol%20hidalgo%20leaf.JPG

Compare this to another CZ with a red petiole and obviously a wider, shorter leaflet. So, what is this? We call it "Ceratozamia species".

Ceratozamia%20sp.%20red%20petiole%20leaflets.JPG

I can't remember which Ceroxylon I showed before, but, to prevent palm withdrawal, I'll post a few more pics.

Ceroxylon alpinum, 15g

Ceroxylon%20alpinum%205g%20(Large).JPG

and Ceroxylon amazonia, 5g

Ceroxylon%20amazoniana%205g%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Yesterday I took some photos of plants that I consider "kinky" and that you probably won't see elsewhere.

First, some photos of a Rhapis hybrid made by Louie Hooper from So Cal. For some reason, Louie took it upon himself to hybridize Rhapis humilus with some other species to see what the offspring looked like. Well, he came up with some real winnners.

Below is Rhapis humilus X laoensis. This plant is probably about 10 years old. It is a 15g container and ten feet tall.

Rhapis%20humilus%20X%20laoensis%2015g%20(Large).JPG

It is indeed a gorgeous palm. Take a look at the leaflets with their thin segments and also at the stem. The problem with Rhapis excelsa are the shaggy, pretty much ugly stems. Look at how clean these stems are.

Rhapis%20humilus%20X%20laoensis%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Rhapis%20humilus%20X%20laoensis%20stem%20(Large).JPG

You can see how the canes above are tightly woven with green tissue showing. Compare these with the scrappy R. excelsa below and you make the call.

Rhapis%20excelsa%20cane3%20(Large).JPG

Continued

Phil

Continued:

There are two Dioons that are quite rare and many of you have never seen. I really adore these two species. They have become two of my favorites. You typically won't find these anywhere.

The first is Dioon tomasellii. This species is from western Mexico in the Puerto Vallarta area.

This plant is in a 15g container

Dioon%20tomasellii%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

Below is a closeup of the leaflets of this plant. You will note that these leaflets are falcate downward, a hallmark of this species. This means that the leaflets are slightly sickle shape and the ends point down.

Dioon%20tomasellii%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

Below is a picture of the leaflets of a newer and different specimen of Dioon tomasellii. You'll note that they are falcate as well, but because this is a smewhat younger plant, you see a little bit of fine spination on the leaflets.

Dioon%20tomasellii2%20(Large).JPG

And below is a picture of a very old specimen. Very cool.

dioon_tomasellii_002.GIF

Continue to the next post for another favorite of mine.

Philt

Continued:

The other Dioon species I really like is Dioon Califanoi. From Mexico, it has a thin leaf and a really alluring appearance.

Dioon%20califanoi%2015g%204%20inch%20caudex1%20(Large).JPG

Dioon%20califanoi%204%20inch%20caudex%2015g2%20(Large).JPG

Below is a picture of a plant in habitat that is most likely centuries old.

DioonCalifanoi0827.jpg

Here's one in a domestic garden. You can see how, in sun, it can take on a blue-green color.

dioon_califanoi_003.gif

Phil

I thought today I'd show 3 Cycas species that should interest growers in Southern California.

Cycas megarcarpa is a thin trunked Cycas sp. from Australia. Although it can get over 15 feet tall, it has a rather thin trunk. I mention it here because it has some frost tolerance and can be grown by many of my customers. It has an arch to the leaves and dark green leaflets.

Cycas%20megacarpa%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Cycas panzhihuaensis is a Cycas species from Panzhihua, China. It doesn't get that tall, typically under ten feet (sometimes taller) and has gray-green leaves and a full, lush appearance. It is surprising frost tolerant. Below is a boxed specimen and a 15g plant. It is a real winner for people who like cycads.

Cycas%20pansihuaensis%20(Small).JPG

Cycas%20pansihuaensis%2015g%205%20inch%20caudex%20(Large).JPG

Another species below is simply known as "Cycas species silver". Years ago seeeds came from Asia labeled as such. They have proven to be easy growers with some frost tolerance. I have yet to see the "silver" in the leaves, but apparently they eventually throw silver leaves.

Cycas%20sp%20silver%20(Small).JPG

Phil

Some more photos of stock:

Allogoptera arenaria, 5g:

Allogoptera%20arenaria%20(Large).JPG

Butia eriospathe 5g

Butia%20eriospatha%205g1%20(Large).JPG

Ceratozamia pacifica in a cit pot

Ceratozamia%20pacifica%20(Small).JPG

Another interesting and different Ceratozamia sp.

Ceratozamia%20sp.%2015g%204%20inch%20caudex%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Group,

I have a question for readers. It's more my style to run a continious thread about lots of species like I've been doing. Do you prefer posts where it's just about one species and ends at that? In other words, post "A different Ceratozamia" and then post another on "Madigascar Foxtail"? etc. etc. I see most people seem to do the latter. But, it would make this For Sale section run on endlessly if we all took that approach. Let me know. As you recall, about 6 months ago I had a very long thread where I told stories about each of the species presented. I've decided this time to just add pictures with minimal comments. I'd appreciate feedback of what people like. Thanks.

Phil

As a buyer, I've found it easier to have a seperate thread for each species. That way I don't have to scroll though endless amounts of info before I find the plant I am searching for.

As a reader, I enjoy the lengthy threads and the stories. :)

As a seller, I feel the need to constantly bump you out of the top spot in the Palm Exchange so my title ends up on the main page of the forum! :lol:

I like the different stuff and stories

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

William and Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. William, as we're growing about 1000 species, if I took the individual species approach, it would lead to a lot of posts. So, with my present form of posting, there's only one of me and I'm easy to bump down so someone else could jump to the top of the page. I see others that have 3 or 4 posts running on the same paqe. That's just not my style. Also, I find the single species approach a bit boring. It doesn't tell or show folks much about the nursery. And for you, Bill Man About Palms, I just don't have the time presently to get too wordy and tell all the stories. Perhaps another time. I do appreciate you guys' comments. Would love to hear from others. I am more than willing to provide what most people like to see or read about.

Phil

Good morning Phil,

I would like to see prices to go with the pictures.

The thread started that way but it would be good to have prices on what you call some of the "kinky" plants.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Ditto on the above. When one goes to your site to find a price of a cycad you have posted (granted you do have a price list), it's almost always like this...75+ (the dreaded plus sign) or even worse, the feared "inquire." At your nursery, it's not until one takes the plant up front and you declare a price that one actually knows the cost. Here, it would be nice to see the cost.

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I really don't have it in me to make a new post on every species I show, so I'll continue this for a bit more as is. I apologize if this bothers other growers. I've not posted for the past several months as many of you know, so perhaps this string will just let the newbies know we exist.

I thought I'd first show a series of band plants. This is our smallest size, but often these plants are several feet tall and four to five years old. All of these are presently $24 to this group.

Dypsis cabadae, about 2 feet tall and 4 yo.

Dypsis%20cabadae%20band%20(Large).JPG

Roystonea regia, 3 feet tall, 3yo

Roystonea%20regia%20band%20(Large).JPG

Trithrinax campestris, a little stretched out from not enough light, 3yo

Trithrinax%20campestris%20band%20(Large).JPG

Pritchardia affinis, 4 yo old, about 2 feet, on about it's tenth leaf.

Pritchardia%20affinis%20band%20(Large).JPG

Continued,

Phil

Continued:

Now, to a bit more of the kink.

Geonoma shottiana, a 15g plant about 8 feet wide but very wide. We've been growing this plant for at least seven or eight years and it's seen 35 degrees. Price is $140.

Geonoma%20shottiana%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Syagrus picrophylla, 15g, about 6 yo and 8 to 10 feet tall. Price $140

Syagrus%20picrophylla%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Balaka seemanii, 15g, about 7 feet tall, very different, has seen 35 degrees, probably 8 yo

Balaka%20seemanii%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Because some of you might not have ever seen the above species, I thought I'd show a few more pictures here and on the next post. Below is a picture looking up at the leaf from below. Overall height of this plant is about 8 feet.

Balaka%20seemanii%2015g%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

Balaka seemanii, early formation of the flower. Yup, it's flowering for us in San Diego.

Balaka%20seemanii%2015g%20blossom%20(Large).JPG

If you only looked at the stem you might think it was a Dypsis.

The palm below, Archontophoenix purpurea, certainly wouldn't qualify as "kink". But, people ask for them and therefore we grow them. This ones about 9 feet tall is a 15g, $140, and has seen the same cold weather as all our plants. It's just starting to show some purple and has a bit of wood. Remember, you can always prove that it's an A. purpurea by doing two things: check if the underneath of the leaf is silver. And, look for ramenta. It's the only silver one with the hairs. (You do remember "ramenta" don't you?) If an Archonotphoenix has ramenta but isn't silver, which one is it?

Archontophoenix%20purpurea%2015g%20single%20(Large).JPG

More later.

Phil

It was nice to see a few of you yesterday. Dave from La Habra and I had a good chance to chat about everything from palms to the workings of our local Society. We both agreed that the big advantage to joining your local palm society is the opportunity to not only see cool gardens but also to meet all the folks you chat with here. I missed not having the opportunity to see his famous red tennis shoes; he wore blue-gray ones this time.

Now for a few that might qualify as kinky and a few others.

Chamaeforea neurochlamys, 15g, about 8 feet tallor more, a double. Price $140. Age about 6 years or so. Please note the second shot which shows the characteristic white markings on the stem: very pretty.

Chamaedorea%20neurochlamys%2015g%20double%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea%20neurochlamys%2015g%20double%20trunk%20(Large).JPG

Below a larger Calyptronoma rivalis in a 20g. It's perhaps 6 feet but getting chunky. If you remember, 6 months ago I showed a photo of a large on down in Pacific Beach, about 12 feet tall in full sun. I'd sell this one for $225 and have at least six or seven years into it.

Calyptronoma%20rivalis%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Calyptronoma%20rivalis%2020g%20base%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

For you Chamaedorea enthusiasts, here's another one. It's label was lost, but I think it's a Chamaedorea warscewiczii, about 8 to 9 feet in a 15g. Price $140. Very different leaflets. Note the simple terminal leaflet, with both sides fused together. This is what makes me think it's a warscewiczii.

Cham.%20sp.%20poss%20warscewiczii%20(Large).JPG

Cham.%20sp.%20poss%20warscewiczii2%20(Large).JPG

Cham.%20sp.%20poss%20warscewiczii3%20(Large).JPG

And a 15g Carpoxylon.

Carpoxylon%20macrosperma%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Good morning,

I showed a Balaka above. Below I'll post a photos of a Normanbya normanbyi, which has a similar feel to the Balaka at this stage. In time, however, it will look totally different. This plant is 8 feet tall and $140. It's taken about 6 or 7 years to get it to this stage from seed.

Normambya.JPG

Normanbya%20n.2%20(Large).JPG

Normanbya%20n.%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Continued:

I feel that Phoenix rupicola is probably the pretties of the "big" Phoenix when it gets large. I say this because it has a softer look than the very coarse dactylifera, canariensis, etc. It's almost as if it retained a bit of the roebellenii blood but got big. Here's a Phoenix rupicola in a 5g pot, price $45. I've found this species to be a bit slow to grow in a container. This one's about 4 years old.

Phoenix%20rupicola%205g%20(Large).JPG

And here's one well over 10 years old in a 24 inch box.

Phoenix%20rupicola%20wood%20box%20(Medium).JPG

Poenix%20rupicola%20wood%20box%20base%20(Medium).JPG

Below is a picture of a large tree from our Gallery to make my point above.

phoenix_rupicola_003_(detail).GIF

Phil

That Phoenix rupicola is a great plant Phil. I like to go look along the north side of your greenhouse at all the real hardy, sun tolerant stuff. I've found way overgrown P. rupicolas, Copernicias, Livistonas, Butia eriospathas and stuff like that out there that's sooooo ready to go in the ground and already full, all day sun acclimated, which is important at my place.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty B,

Thanks for the comments.

Group,

I thought this morning I'd show some general shots of the nursery and our people. We are overall about 3 acres total size and these pics will show you a general view of some of our plants.

The picture below is one of our cycad areas in the greenhouse. This area gets bright sun and good heat.

Cycads%20cycad%20alley%20(Large).JPG

We grow most of our 5g and smaller plants on tables, 3 feet off the ground. Here's a photo of some tables where we grow cycads. You'll note we've stuck a few Dypsis in this area. Some species like the heat. We're trying everything we can do to speed up species like Ravenea xerohyllla and other slow growers.

Cycads%20on%20table%20E-M,%20large.JPG

Some outdoor plants. There are various 15g pots seen.

outside3[2]%20(Large).jpg

And, finally I thought I'd show you a photo of some of our staff at an Open House earlier this year. To pull off such an event takes a lot of planning, energy and time. So that customers are assisted in a good fashion, we are very adequately staffed when we have our events. I am so appreciative of the assistance we get from our regular staff (about 10 people) and others that assist specifically with these events. In this photo you'll see Bill Sanford, Matty B, Shon G, Rusty, Jesse, Danny, Mark Reidler, and others. Jeff R. and I are not shown. I think we had 27 people working that day. BTW, Bill's showing off an Encephalartos villosus cone that snapped off accidentally while we were moving a big plant.

Staff%20Spring%202009%20group,%20large.JPG

Thanks for viewing,

Phil

That cone was not light! :D Great stuff Phil, keep it up...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I thought I'd add a few more kinkies or near-kinky plants.

First is an interesting Alocasia. I decided to show it because it's different. It is a hybrid and very cool. If someone really needs to know the parentage, I could look it up. But, the dark leaves and red colored backs are impressive. I only have one of these, so it's not on our pricelist.

Alocasia%20dark%20sp.%201%20(Large).JPG

Alocasia%20dark%20sp2.%20(Large).JPG

Zamia cupatiensis, an extremely rare species from Columbia. These are bands. I don't know of anyone who's ever sold these before. Loran's book has one picture of this unusual species. The special price for this group is $75 each. They are a reather dwarf species.

Zamia%20cupatiensis%202%20(Large).JPG

Below is a look at a 1g Ceroxylon verntricosum, a species that gets a bulge in the trunk. Price is $28.

Ceroxylon%20ventricosum%201g2%20(Large).JPG

Continued,

Phil

Continued:

And, here's a look at the crown of the 1g Ceroxylon ventricosum. Sorry, too close a shot.

Ceroxylon%20ventricosum%201g1%20(Large).JPG

And, below is a 3 to 4 yo Stangeria eriopus, pretty large band size sale price is $39.

Stangeria%20eriopus%20band%20(Large).JPG

Below is an unusal Ptychosperma species seldom seen, called Ptychsperma rakkii. It makes a good sized single trunk plant and is cold hardy in the So Cal in most areas. Price is $28.

Ptychosperma%20rakki%201g%20(Large).JPG

Below is an unusual Philodendron I traded with a botanical garden. Sorry, don't know the species name.

Philodendron%20sp.%20LAA%20(Large).JPG

More tomorrow if I have time.

Phil

OK, I'll admit it, I admire tropical fruit trees. Here's proof: we're grwoing some coffee arabica. The flowers are very nice and the red berries are attracctive as well. Few people know that Coffee Trees make a good houseplant. I had one in my front yard for 20 years. It produced coffee beans the whole time. In more recent years, I've started roasting my own coffee from green beans.

Here's a 15g about 8 feet tall, price $125.

Coffee%20arabica%20(Large).jpg.

Below is a 15 g Dictyosperma furfuracea. Price is $140.

Dictyosperma%20(Large).JPG

Gaussia maya, 10 feet tall, 20 g. Prices are 15g $140 (have one with a foot of trunk in a 15 g), 20g $275 for this sale.

Gaussia%20maya%20(Small).JPG

Here's a wierd Philodendron known as "Pigskin".

Philodendron%20Pigskin1%20(Large).JPG

I'll post again to show a closeup of the surface of the leaf. It gets its name b/c of the feel of the leaf surface.

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

Pigskin Philodendron, surface. It's sort of worty and rough. Quite cool.

Philodendron%20Pigskin2%20(Large).JPG

Plectocomia himilayana, a nice plant if you like spines. 5g $52. About 4 feet tall. Fairly cold hardy.

Plectocomia%20h.%20(Large).JPG

We have been selling Pritchardias for over 30 years. We have about 15 species in all sizes. Here's an example of a pretty 15g plant.

Pritchardia%20sp..JPG

It's Saturday and I've got to get ready to go to the nursery. Take care and have a nice weekend. If the goblins aren't taking up too much of your time, drop by to see us today. We'll take good care of you.

Phil

Gjood morning.

I had an inquiry about Stangeria. This is quite an interesting species. In So Cal we can grow it in filtered light as well as in full coastal sun. People like them because they are not overly large and have a fern like appearance. Many can't believe they are actually a cycad. I showed a seedling above. It takes about 5 years to go from a seedling to a coning plant. The reason I bring this up is because we have lots of coning specimens and I thought I'd show you the male and female cones. They are quite different.

Below is a Stangeria eriopus with a male cone.

Stangeria%20eriopus%20male1%20(Large).JPG

Below is the female, a closeup:

STangeria%20eriopus%20cone%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Stangeria are $140 in this coning size (5g or cit pot). Some of our seedlings are really large and quite a good buy.

I thought I'd show a 5g Syagrus amara ($48) because I really like this species. This plant is about 6 feet tall, essentially a 15g size. I like it because it's one of those "Coconut look-alike" plants that we can grow out here.

Syagrus%20amara%20(Large).JPG

Belolw is a bit of an unusual Zamia, Zamia kickxii. This is a specimen that's about 8 years old. It is nice because it is small and cute. It could fit into almost any filtered ight location. You will see a bit of leaf variation with this species.

Zamia%20dwarf%20cuba%20(Small).JPG

Continued

Phil

Continued:

Voaniola g. is an endangered madagascar species that quite a few people are growing in this area. They are very slow growing. It's impossible presently to get new seeds. We do have quite a few for sale. They are at least 5 years old.

This is a 5g, price is $125 minus 20%. If you want one, don't wait b/c in the near future there will be none for sale anywhere.

Voaniola%20gerardii%205g%20(Large).JPG

Below is a jewel of a plant for some and not too exciting for others. It's Trachycarpus wagnerianus, about a 5 yo plant in a 5g. I really wanted to show you a mature specimen or two that we have, but I don't have photos. These mature ones have 3 feet or more of trunk and are 20 years old. Perhaps I can post a photo in the next several days. This species sports those tiny, plate sized leaves and like full sun.

Trachycarpus%20wagnerianus%205g%20(Large).JPG

A picture of my son, Jesse (on the right) and Danny, who work at the nursery and, as usual, are joking around.

Jesse%20and%20Danny%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Love those Stangeria's Phil. I bought a few liners from you a while back that are now fully acclimated and look great!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. Stangeria isa very nice cycad and quite easy to grow. Surprisingly, along the coast it does well in full sun.

Below is a picture of several very large Syagrus pseudococcos, formerly Barbosa pseudococcos. I'm showing this shot from Mardi D.'s garden to demonstrate that this species does do quite well in So Cal. We have various sizes of this species at a 20% discount. I like the tropical crown with the tall thin trunk.

SyagrusPseudococos01-02082008.JPG

Below is a Wallichia densiflora about 7 feet tall in a 7g for $75, about 4 to 5 years old. We also have smaller W. distycha.

Wallichia%20densiflora%20(Small).JPG

Below is a 15g sized Alloschmidtia glabrata. We have these up to about 8 feet tall, age about 8 years. Pice is $160. This species is quite rare and hard to find in this size in So Cal. Very exotic, from New Caledonia.

Alloschmidtia%20glabrata%2015g%20(Large).JPG

About 2 years ago we started putting our Burretiokentia koghiensis into 15g. They are getting quite nice, about 6 feet tall. One is pictured below. We also have a few "cutting edge" Burretiokentia (very rare). For you N.C. enthusiasts, email me and I can give availability.

Burretiokentia%20koghiensis%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Hi Rafael,

I am sorry, but I can't do shipping to Europe. As explained to me by Ag officials, the EU doesn't let in any plants that have been grown in a media where any pine bark or pine products has been used. And, this includes fir bark. That's even if the plants are bare rooted. Most growers in the western U.S. utilize fir or pine shavings in their soil. That is the case with me. Consequently, no plants grown at my nursery can go to Europe. Growers who only use a simple media like perlite and peat moss could send you a seedling, but an international Phyto permit would be needed and that costs $95 from the Ag Dept. Because of the latter, I'd recommend you're contacting Tobias Spanner at Rarepalmseeds.com in Germany and try to get some seeds from him. If you get good seeds, you'll have germination. Best of luck,

Phil

Hi Rafael,

I am sorry, but I can't do shipping to Europe. As explained to me by Ag officials, the EU doesn't let in any plants that have been grown in a media where any pine bark or pine products has been used. And, this includes fir bark. That's even if the plants are bare rooted. Most growers in the western U.S. utilize fir or pine shavings in their soil. That is the case with me. Consequently, no plants grown at my nursery can go to Europe. Growers who only use a simple media like perlite and peat moss could send you a seedling, but an international Phyto permit would be needed and that costs $95 from the Ag Dept. Because of the latter, I'd recommend you're contacting Tobias Spanner at Rarepalmseeds.com in Germany and try to get some seeds from him. If you get good seeds, you'll have germination. Best of luck,

Phil

Thank u very much!

Its amazing your nursery!!

Regards.

Rafael

It's been a few days so I thought I'd put up a few more photos.

Below is a cycad that is fairly rare. But, remember that rarity has nothing to do with beauty. This species, Zamia spartea, is a thin leafed, small cycad. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but when I look at Z. spartea, it's natural beauty doesn't jump out at me. But, others love it. So, I told myself I'd go on the Internet and find and post a photo of a beautiful one. After about ten minutes I gave up. I could find a picture of a plant that I truly thought was pretty. So, you be the judge.

Zamia%20spartea%205g%20(Large).JPG

I've got Zamia spartea from seedlings up to "big" plants (remember they are dwarfs). Other Zamia such as Ceratozamia plumosa (norstogii) that have thin leaves (see below) are quite appealing to me. I find the spartea to be scrappy looking, but perhaps it qualifies as "kinky".

ceratozamia_norstogii_var_plumosa_002.gif

And Ceraatozamia mirandae is another nice thin leaf cycad. See below.

Ceratozamia%20mirandae%20(Large).JPG

Regarding plants that I like, I find Chamaedorea benzei to be a real winner. Pictured below, this species doesn't get too tall, can take coastal sun, has cool blossoms, and is like a radicalis on steroids. Sorry, but this is an old picture of a 15g plant. I have a few 15g left for sale, perhaps a 5g for $45, but no seedlings. Jim Benzee should be proud that Hodel named this species after him.

Chamaedorea%20benzei01%20(Large).jpg

Phil

Continued:

Pritchardia beccaryana has always been a favorite of mine. Below is a good look at the leaf of 20g beccaryana, about 7 years old, with Rusty showing it off. I like how the leaf is big and flat. We have nice 5g beccaryana starting at $45.

Pritchardia%20bec%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Entire plant:

Pritchardia%20beccariana%20(Large).JPG

Compare the above with Pritchardia minor, which has smaller leaves and is a shorter palm. If you don't have space for the beccaryana, this one might fit into your garden. It is very pretty.

Pritchardia%20minor%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Pictured is a 15g for $140.

Pritchardia%20minor%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Got a 15g minor from you this spring and has quickly turned into one of my favorite palms in my garden. Very nice palm for So Cal.

San Marcos CA

Marojejya insignis, 5g, about 4 years old, on about it's 8th or tenth leaf, $48:

Marojejya%20insignis5g%20(Large).JPG

Linospadix minor, dwarf species, 15g, 10 years old, about 4 feet tall. $140.

Linospadix%20minor%20(Small).JPG

Below is an extremely rare cycad species, Encephalarto mackenziei, in a 15g container. This originally was known as Encephalartos species "suan". It comes from an area that is impossible to visit (political challenges) and is exotic appearing. If you are a cycad collector and don't have this one, consider it because there's very few available.

Encephalartos%20mackenziei%2015g2%20(Large).JPG

Another exotic cycad that can tolerate filtered light: Encephalartos villosus:

Encephalartos%20villousus%20box,%20coning%20size%20(Large).JPG

All cycads 20% off.

Phil

Good morning Group,

I'm going to show some interesting and cool things this morning. I think I'll start with a few Calyptrocalyx in 5g pots. Both are $45 and about 6 years old.

The first is Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus. It's a bit out of focus, but you can get a feel for the plant.

Calyptrocalyx%20pollyphyllus%205g2.JPG

Calyptrocalyx sanumb

Calyptrocalyx%20sanumb%205g.JPG

Calyptrocalyx are a collector's type thing. I think the seeds for these plants originated from a Michael Ferrara trip to habitat.

Dypsis fibrosa in a 5g. It's a really old plant and has already bifurcated it's trunk. A closeup of the trunk follows. I'd say it's about 8 years old and just never got repotted. This happens all the time. It's why "looking around" is a good thing.. Price is $55

dypsis%20fibrosa%205g1.JPG

Dypsis%20fibrosa%205g2.JPG

Continued:

Phil