IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Costa Rican Palm Society Meeting - Saturday October 31, 2009 10AM

Jeff in St Pete

close up of Joey base

post-747-1257045710_thumb.jpg

For scale - one of our new members

post-747-1257045760_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Just as the tour ended it started raining again. This time of year, no one in Costa Rica travels without an umbrella.

post-747-1257046659_thumb.jpg

Getting some palms together for the auction

post-747-1257046786_thumb.jpg

Some of the palms (and a couple Brownea trees) up for auction

post-747-1257046930_thumb.jpg

I was the auctioneer, so I took a moment to take a photo. The small Chambeyronia macrocarpa (on the left) sold for the highest bid of the day at 12,000 colones ($20.80).

post-747-1257046950_thumb.jpg

Alcantarea

post-747-1257047271_thumb.jpg

I believe Marco said these were Roystonea princeps

post-747-1257047330_thumb.jpg

Awesome Jeff! I remember how great of a place Marco has from the biennial. In many places it is approaching "habitat" conditions................ :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Since it was Halloween, the girls decided they needed a costume

post-747-1257088310_thumb.jpg

post-747-1257088329_thumb.jpg

Group photo - 3 or 4 people had already left, but this is the majority of us.

post-747-1257089173_thumb.jpg

Jeff - thank you so much for posting these photos. It brings back fond memories of my visit to Marcos farm during the 2008 Biennel. You don't need to apologize about the dark photos, it is dark at Marco's place on a sunny day. Having personally witnessed Marco's great collection - no photos can really do it justice. It is an adventure that must be done first hand! :rolleyes:

It is great to see your Society pick up steam with the increase in membership and participation. Your country can grow some great stuff. The Society will help deseminate information and spread the word of the many species that could and should be utilized in Costa Rican gardens. :drool:

Kindest regards, :)

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Awesome Jeff! I remember how great of a place Marco has from the biennial. In many places it is approaching "habitat" conditions................ :)

Thanks Bill. I couldn't believe how much some of the palms have grown since the Biennial. I looked back at some of the Biennial photos and noticed how much the Joey and the Kerriodoxa have grown in the last 17 months. Even the Corypha has grown several feet.

Jeff - thank you so much for posting these photos. It brings back fond memories of my visit to Marcos farm during the 2008 Biennel. You don't need to apologize about the dark photos, it is dark at Marco's place on a sunny day. Having personally witnessed Marco's great collection - no photos can really do it justice. It is an adventure that must be done first hand! :rolleyes:

It is great to see your Society pick up steam with the increase in membership and participation. Your country can grow some great stuff. The Society will help deseminate information and spread the word of the many species that could and should be utilized in Costa Rican gardens. :drool:

Kindest regards, :)

Ron.

Ron, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a lot of fun exploring Marco's farm again!

Our Palm Society is definitely picking up steam. Word is spreading and we are signing up new members at every meeting. Now that we have some money in the bank, we will be able to start advertising next year. I feel confident that by advertising, we will double our membership in 2010.

Our other good news - we received a $1,000 donation! This will be used to build our website which we believe will be the key to our success.

• 1 month later...

Jeff,

Thanks for the tour of the Marcos farm. I was lucky enough to visit there sometime in the 80's. Things have sure grown, in fact back then he didn't have that many palms, but I remember eating some delicious mangos.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick,

You must have visited Marco before he started collecting palms (or when he was just getting started). I can't imagine what the farm must have looked like back then. Now sections of the property are covered by mature palm forests.

My friends from the Costa Rican Palm Society are still talking about our visit there. The palms that impressed people the most were the large Coccothrinax crinita and the Corypha. Everyone wants these palms now!