12 replies to this topic

#1 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,850 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

It is soon time for the election of those IPS Directors who will serve the years 2010 to 2014.

If there is anyone you know who can contribute to the goals of the International Palm Society and who is willing to dedicate the time necessary to serve as a Director, please submit his/her name for nomination.

November 20, 2009 is the deadline for Administrative Secretary Larry Noblick to receive nominations so election ballots can be mailed out with the December 2009 issue of PALMS. Completed original ballots must be returned to Larry no later than March 15th, 2010, to be counted. Election results will be announced on the IPS website in April 2010 and published in the June 2010 Supplement to PALMS.

Nominating requirements: A candidate must have been a Member of the Society for two years before being nominated as a Director. Any IPS Member may propose a candidate for nomination by writing an e-mail or letter to the Administrative Secretary. A second nomination in writing from another Member is also required. The proposed candidate must submit to the Secretary a written consent of willingness to serve if nominated and elected, which should include a willingness to attend board meetings during his or her tenure. The proposed candidate must also send the Secretary a short palm-related biography, which will be included on the ballot.

When the above conditions have been met, the Secretary will forward the proposed candidate's name to the Nominating Committee for consideration as a nominee on the ballot.

If there are any questions, feel free to post them here and I will either answer them myself or alert Faith Bishock (Chair, Nominating Committee) or Larry Noblick.

Planned upcoming IPS Board meetings:
17 April 2010: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2011 (no date yet but probably in the fall): Interim meeting in Tenerife, Canary Islands
2012 (no date yet but probably in the fall): Thailand (day before Biennial begins)
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Succulentum

Succulentum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

-
Jean-bernard
crazy sower
city : Nantes, France,

#3 Kathryn

Kathryn

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

It is time for the election of IPS Directors who will serve for the years 2012 to 2016.

Nominating requirements are the same as Bo listed above.

May 15, 2012 is the deadline for Administrative Secretary Larry Noblick to receive nominations with all supporting documentation so election ballots can be mailed out with the June 2012 issue of Palms.

#4 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,626 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Look for my materials shortly.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#5 Kathryn

Kathryn

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Look for my materials shortly.

Awesome!

#6 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Does one have to be present at all meetings ?
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#7 Kim

Kim

Learning by heart

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Wal, strictly speaking, Directors are not required to be present at every single meeting, but there is only ONE meeting per year. While much IPS discussion and business occurs via email, there is no substitute for being involved in the actual meeting discussions and voting. It would be quite difficult for a Director to influence a discussion while not present, and the really major decisions are made at the meetings.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, USA
All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental
anm23bea44cd09109b5.gif

#8 Kathryn

Kathryn

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

This is from the IPS website:

Duties and expectations of the IPS Directors:
The Board of 34 Directors has general charge of the affairs and business of the Society including the management of the Society’s funds. Directors are expected to take an active role in Board activities by serving on appropriate committees set up for specific tasks and concerns. The Board meets once a year, at the Biennial meeting or at an Interim Meeting.

An ability and willingness to travel to all (or most) of the annual Board Meetings at the Director’s own expense is, by necessity, a strong consideration used by the Nominating Committee when selecting candidates. Directors are also expected to be accessible by e mail.

#9 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Kim and Kathryn, that is very clear.

Here's a thought:

The world has changed over the years with the advent of computer technology communications and whilst I'm sure many high level decisions are made and agreed upon using computer links, perhaps via video conferencing and sharing data through web portals etc., there is no substitute for face to face communication. It does though beg the question, are the right people, or should I be bold and say (of course I'll be bold and say, why change now?) are the best people with the most knowledge and interests in palm trees having an opportunity to be included in these high level decisions being underatken by the IPS board, and if not, what about considering hiring "Palm Brokers". These guys can't make the meetings due to financial or other restrictive reasons, yet could be called upon to carry out forms of research, not necessarily scientific, exploration, data finding and even social aspects of palm growing in the cultivation spheres by investigating palm society numbers, their growth or fall in membership, how and where palm promotional activities could be employed in the wider community.

End of thought
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#10 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,850 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Wal,

Thanks for your thoughts. Contrary to popular belief (apparently), one's knowledge about palms is pretty much a non issue. A general interest is obviously to be expected of anyone who wants to become a Director, but what's important really has nothing to do with growing palms. The BOD meets once a year to make decisions that are related to the finances and the future of the IPS. Common sense and enthusiasm and ideally a certain business knowledge is what's important in order to participate in these discussions and decisions. "Growing palms" is not something that's discussed at BOD meetings.

Bo-Göran
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

#11 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Bo.
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.