IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix reclinata and Phoenix sylvestris

Alicehunter2000

Got fresh free seeds for those interested. Here is a pic of the mama P. reclinata. The P. sylvestris is mine and it is a beauty.

Please I.M. me with your full name and address.

post-97-1253669752_thumb.jpg

post-97-1253669824_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I guess they could be. If you want some let me know...... because I am closing the offer.

Those of you who contacted me, I will try and get the seeds out within the next week to 10 days.

Here is the mama Sylvestris.

post-97-1253713058_thumb.jpg

Just so everyone knows,unless there are other palms of the same species nearby,100% of the seeds will be hybrids as Phoenix are dioecious palms. The father is most probably one of the nearby male Phoenix sp. palms... :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

That's good to know as I have other phoenix species in the same yard.....however I do also have another P. sylvestris nearby as well. Also the P. reclinata had other P. reclinata around as well as other Phoenix species. If they are hybrid seed, wouldn't the size and look of the seed be different. The seeds of both of these are very homogeneus in their look.

So Phoenix palms are not self pollinating? It is strange because I also noticed that the other phoenix do not have seeds at this time.

David, nice pics, your sylvesters have really taken off!

Regarding possible hybrids in Phoenix: Like Kostas said they are Diocious (need a male and female to make seed)

If the reclinata was grown from one seed and that clump is one plant it is all female since you got seeds from it, If the gower grew trhat huge recilnata from 2 or more seeds and were germinated together -the reclinata clump has a chance of creating pure reclinata seed. (with male and female plants present in the one clump)

If the entire reclinata clump was female, and no other reclinata are nearby, pollen surely came from a nearby male phoenix. possibly a CIDP in the background.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

With hybrids that happen inside a certain genus of palms,seed shape and size is not affeted at all and is exactly what it should be for the species producing the seeds :) Only with hybrids between different genus seed shape and size is affected.

No,Phoenix palms dont self polinate as flowers of only 1 sex is present on a single palm. As for one Phoenix producing seeds and another not,this is either indicative of their sex when other Phoenix are arround as female plants will set seeds while male palms wont,or it isnt the season for them. Checking for seeds under them could show you their sex if they dont clean under them.

If there are Phoenix sylvestris of both sexes nearby,some of the seeds should be true to type. If they were so close that leafs touch,the inflorescence between them should give at least 50% pure seeds and i would guess even 90%. But with trees some distance away,the % will be less due to the other Phoenix sp. outnumbering them greatly so availiable pollen of other species will be reaching the flowers more often. The same goes for P. reclinata...

Btw,your P. sylvestris are a real beauty!!! :drool::)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Got fresh free seeds for those interested. Here is a pic of the mama P. reclinata. The P. sylvestris is mine and it is a beauty.

Please I.M. me with your full name and address.

I just sent you an IM. Please let me hear from you.

David

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Peter (Netherlands), Peter (New York), Dominique, Jean-Bernard, Simona and David...............I have sent your seeds to your address. Let me know when you receive them.

Hi David,

seeds are here today,six day after, includ Sunday and I wanted to thank you again for your generosity to have sent them with shipment to your own charge.

I'll PM you in the next days

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Cool.........everybody has got there seeds except Simona.........still waiting to hear from you.

:lol: Today's the big day!

Got my letter from Panama City containing two more big surprises.

Thank you very much, Dave!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was wondering if it wasn't to late to get into the action of getting some seeds, if it is I understand if it isn't I would like to get some of these beautiful palms.

Thanks,

Cal Sloan

Edited by Rat Pack Gunner