IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biennial in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2010

bgl

The next Biennial has now been finalized and will take place in Rio de Janeiro 17 - 23 April, 2010. It is now open for registration. Based on our experience with a discounted rate for the Biennial in Costa Rica it has been decided to have a discounted rate for Brazil as well:

$1,450 per person for double occupancy, received and paid by 15 December 2009

$2,070 per person for single occupancy, received and paid by 15 December 2009

$1,600 per person for double occupancy, received and paid between 16 Dec 2009 and 10 Feb 2010

$2,230 per person for single occupancy, received and paid between 16 Dec 2009 and 10 Feb 2010

Registration will close on 10 Feb 2010 (or before, if our 84 rooms at the hotel have been filled prior to this date, or if we have reached 200 participants).

Full information on the IPS website. If you are an IPS member you should already have received an e-mail about the registration. If you are an IPS member and have NOT received an e-mail, then Liz Stansfeld, our webmaster, probably doesn't have your current e-mail address. Contact Liz.

You will need your IPS account number AND your password in order to log in and register for the Biennial. You can also register via regular mail.

If you are NOT an IPS member but would like to be part of the Biennial, you first need to sign up as an IPS member. Once you have your account number and password you can then register for the Biennial.

All IPS members will also receive full details about the Biennial in the Supplement to PALMS Sep. 2009. (I received my copy yesterday).

There are two PRE-Biennial Tours:

Amazonas (with Andrew Henderson) and Uruguay.

As well as a POST-Biennial Tour to Jardim Botânico Inhotimm Cadeira do Espinhaço and Jardim Botânico Plantarum.

Full details about these tours on the website.

Any questions - feel free to post them here.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I was very excited to get the email from Liz -- what is the correct emoticon for that? (Where's that dancing banana when you need it?) :mrlooney: Mr. Looney will have to do. The schedule is very enticing, and the pre- and post-trip options as well, but reality imposes certain limitations. (sigh) Excuse me, I have to go read through it all again -- a little armchair travel in advance. :interesting::)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The whole program is excellent and the schedule of visits seems to be very well organized...I'm sure it's going to be a great Biennial and I'm planning to attend it with my wife, along with several friends and palm affictionates from the Northeast, excited to meet again several friends from abroad and many people from Palmtalk forum.

I'm glad Hermínio's property was included in the scheduled tours...he is a great friend from Rio and we had a wonderful time last year when we visited his collection for the first time and saw most of his incredible palms and cycads. He told me sometime ago that he had been contacted by IPS with this objective.

The post tour organized by Lorenzi sounds fantastic too. Besides visiting his great collection at Instituto Plantarum in Campinas, São Paulo state, I think the visit to Inhotim Museum in Belo Horizonte and the field tour at cadeia do Espinhaço in Minas Gerais state will be a fantastic adventure, especially for small Syagrus lovers. For those willing to stay a little longer in Rio de Janeiro area, I guess the optional post tour to the Búzios peninsula and beach resorts is highly recommended. We stayed there for a weekend sometime ago and had a great time. Nice relaxed southeast Brazilian typical seaside atmosphere...the beaches are perfect, the surroundings are gorgeous and the little town is charming, with a great nightlife and infrasctructure that attracts lots of locals and increasing numbers of Europeans, especially from Italy and France.

Who else from Palmtalk is planning on attending the Biennial?

Jardim Botânico:

post-157-1253367419_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

I haven't gotten an E-mail yet... hmmmmm... How do I contact Liz?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

info@palms.org

And if you know your password and account number you can also go the IPS website and check to make sure your personal information is up-to-date!

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bobby,

info@palms.org

And if you know your password and account number you can also go the IPS website and check to make sure your personal information is up-to-date!

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Oh, thanks alot Bo..... Cari & I really want to go......

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE