IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neoregelia " Norman Bates "

edric

My friend took me with him, to the Brome nurseries today, he went to buy Guzmanias, so when we got there, I asked the owner to show me anything unusual, that he would consider parting with, and one of the things he showed me, was this cross between Carcharodon " tiger " x " Hannibal Lector ", called " Norman Bates ", I did some fast talking, and came home with it, I really don't think he wanted to part with it, as it's the only one he had, it matures to a size of 2' x 4' like the Carcharodon Tiger, but has even more strips than the Hannibal Lector, Ed

post-3109-1253052726_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Very cool Brom! And a spooky looking shot too. Too bad you weren't holding a big knife! That would have been a cool shadow outline in the background.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thanks fellas, it wasn't till after I posted the photo, that I even noticed the shadow of my hand, and still made no correlation to the names involved, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Thats a beauty, Ed!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thats a great looking Neo. I just got a Carcharodon Tiger and was a surprised that the offset was larger than most full grown neos.Its going to be a monster!

I am a big fan of bromeliads with stripes.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thats a great looking Neo. I just got a Carcharodon Tiger and was a surprised that the offset was larger than most full grown neos.Its going to be a monster!

I am a big fan of bromeliads with stripes.

Thanks, I like the stripes too, I've got two Carcharodon Tigers, about 25% grown, and they're huge, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Yet another pretty brom, you seem to find all the good ones !!! However I dont think I would like to have it anywhere near my shower cubicle.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Yet another pretty brom, you seem to find all the good ones !!! However I dont think I would like to have it anywhere near my shower cubicle.

Peachy

Thanks Peachy, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me can help me ID this plant. I got it from a friend who didn't know what it was. I thought it might be Neo 'Hannibal Lecter', but after seeing the photo of the Neo 'Norman Bates" I now have to wonder if it might be that. Any ideas?

neo1medium.jpg

neo2medium.jpg

Whatever it is, I love it and it grows great here in Miami.

Jody

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me can help me ID this plant. I got it from a friend who didn't know what it was. I thought it might be Neo 'Hannibal Lecter', but after seeing the photo of the Neo 'Norman Bates" I now have to wonder if it might be that. Any ideas?

neo1medium.jpg

neo2medium.jpg

Jody

It's Hannibal Lector, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed,

I'm impressed by both your incredible bromeliad collection and knowledge. We have about a dozen and a half different varieties; seeing your photos makes me want more - LOTS MORE!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know what most of our bromeliads are since I acquired the majority of them in big box stores that either mislabel or don't label their plants. I'll look forward to more of your posts to help me figure out what I have and want I WANT!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Jody

It's Hannibal Lector, Ed

Thanks, Ed.

Ed,

I'm impressed by both your incredible bromeliad collection and knowledge. We have about a dozen and a half different varieties; seeing your photos makes me want more - LOTS MORE!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know what most of our bromeliads are since I acquired the majority of them in big box stores that either mislabel or don't label their plants. I'll look forward to more of your posts to help me figure out what I have and want I WANT!

Lee

Thanks Lee, browse through this index it may help, Ed

http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif