• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.

Neoregelia " Norman Bates "

17 posts in this topic

My friend took me with him, to the Brome nurseries today, he went to buy Guzmanias, so when we got there, I asked the owner to show me anything unusual, that he would consider parting with, and one of the things he showed me, was this cross between Carcharodon " tiger " x " Hannibal Lector ", called " Norman Bates ", I did some fast talking, and came home with it, I really don't think he wanted to part with it, as it's the only one he had, it matures to a size of 2' x 4' like the Carcharodon Tiger, but has even more strips than the Hannibal Lector, Ed

post-3109-1253052726_thumb.jpg

Very cool Brom! And a spooky looking shot too. Too bad you weren't holding a big knife! That would have been a cool shadow outline in the background.

Yikesgif.jpg And the recipient of the first annual "You Suck" award goes to.........ThumbsUp.gif

Thanks fellas, it wasn't till after I posted the photo, that I even noticed the shadow of my hand, and still made no correlation to the names involved, Ed

Thats a beauty, Ed!

Thats a beauty, Ed!

Thanks Bill, Ed

Thats a great looking Neo. I just got a Carcharodon Tiger and was a surprised that the offset was larger than most full grown neos.Its going to be a monster!

I am a big fan of bromeliads with stripes.

Thats a great looking Neo. I just got a Carcharodon Tiger and was a surprised that the offset was larger than most full grown neos.Its going to be a monster!

I am a big fan of bromeliads with stripes.

Thanks, I like the stripes too, I've got two Carcharodon Tigers, about 25% grown, and they're huge, Ed

Yet another pretty brom, you seem to find all the good ones !!! However I dont think I would like to have it anywhere near my shower cubicle.

Peachy

Yet another pretty brom, you seem to find all the good ones !!! However I dont think I would like to have it anywhere near my shower cubicle.

Peachy

Thanks Peachy, Ed

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me can help me ID this plant. I got it from a friend who didn't know what it was. I thought it might be Neo 'Hannibal Lecter', but after seeing the photo of the Neo 'Norman Bates" I now have to wonder if it might be that. Any ideas?

neo1medium.jpg

neo2medium.jpg

Whatever it is, I love it and it grows great here in Miami.

Jody

I am hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me can help me ID this plant. I got it from a friend who didn't know what it was. I thought it might be Neo 'Hannibal Lecter', but after seeing the photo of the Neo 'Norman Bates" I now have to wonder if it might be that. Any ideas?

neo1medium.jpg

neo2medium.jpg

Jody

It's Hannibal Lector, Ed

Ed,

I'm impressed by both your incredible bromeliad collection and knowledge. We have about a dozen and a half different varieties; seeing your photos makes me want more - LOTS MORE!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know what most of our bromeliads are since I acquired the majority of them in big box stores that either mislabel or don't label their plants. I'll look forward to more of your posts to help me figure out what I have and want I WANT!

Lee

Jody

It's Hannibal Lector, Ed

Thanks, Ed.

Ed,

I'm impressed by both your incredible bromeliad collection and knowledge. We have about a dozen and a half different varieties; seeing your photos makes me want more - LOTS MORE!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know what most of our bromeliads are since I acquired the majority of them in big box stores that either mislabel or don't label their plants. I'll look forward to more of your posts to help me figure out what I have and want I WANT!

Lee

Thanks Lee, browse through this index it may help, Ed

http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm

Cool brom Ed!!! It's a hybrid of a hybrid :)

Cool brom Ed!!! It's a hybrid of a hybrid :)

Thanks JD, Ed