IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

chicken manure and palms

freddie

We recently had a load of soil delivered for setting up some flower beds. It's a garden blend, good quality topsoil enriched with chicken poo (mmmm, just lovely to roll in if you're a dog lol). But would it also be okay for palms? We're just about ready to put some palms in the ground and wondered if a shovelful of this mix at the bottom of the hole would be good? or not? Thanks!

As far as I know, chick poop (or pigeon, etc.,) is wonderful for palms.

Some, like Caryotas, really love it.

If you have access to a regular supply, use it.

ANd, take pictures and show us . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Why are you requesting a picture of chicken poop to be posted ? :huh::wacko::blink::bemused::mrlooney:

Ron. :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Why are you requesting a picture of chicken poop to be posted ? :huh::wacko::blink::bemused::mrlooney:

I can't wait for the response from BS Man about Palms when he finds this thread! :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Well, I meant the results, but what the heck . . . .

If it gets laughs, I'lll handle it . . . .

Kinda reminds me of uinintentionally comic church flyers and signs:

"Today's Sermon: Do you know what Hell is?

Come hear our choir practice"

"Weight Watchers enter through the double doors."

"Low self-esteen support group please enter through the basement door."

etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We recently had a load of soil delivered for setting up some flower beds. It's a garden blend, good quality topsoil enriched with chicken poo (mmmm, just lovely to roll in if you're a dog lol). But would it also be okay for palms? We're just about ready to put some palms in the ground and wondered if a shovelful of this mix at the bottom of the hole would be good? or not? Thanks!

Spread some at the top too, right under the deep layer of mulch you're laying.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Freddie when I was just starting this garden I didnt know very much and only used pelletized chookie poo. I have many many plants, trees and shrubs as well as all my palms and all of them did well. Only the last 18 months or so have I started using blood & bone (which the pooches try to eat) and potash. I still add chookie poo to everything tho, even in pot plants. It's full of nitrogen and is organic. Being on black clay.....read concrete or chewie depending on the weather.....it has help to turn the clay into quite a good friable soil. I remain a big fan and devoted user.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Well rotted chicken manure is great for palms. However it can be a bit of a problem on alkaline soils that have limestone etc as chicken manure can be a little high in pH.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks all for the thumbs up!

There's half a dozen huge poultry farms only a few miles from here so have easy access to tons of the stuff, either as a blend from the local landscape supply or straight up direct from the farms (also have 3 free range hens in the backyard but it's kinda time consuming following them around with a bucket)

And same as Peachy, we're on clay, concrete when it's dry that turns to soup the moment it starts raining. Palms seem to like it though, the gullies and creek flats down the back of our property are thick with big healthy specimens that ain't never been planted by anyone other than mother nature. Unfortunately, can't tell you what species they are - when palms come in a pot with one of those little white tags I'm the ID expert :rolleyes: otherwise I don't have a clue :blink:

Will post a photo of the chook poo shortly :D

Cheers, Freddie

Here, chook, chook, chook....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Freddie when I was just starting this garden I didnt know very much and only used pelletized chookie poo. I have many many plants, trees and shrubs as well as all my palms and all of them did well. Only the last 18 months or so have I started using blood & bone (which the pooches try to eat) and potash. I still add chookie poo to everything tho, even in pot plants. It's full of nitrogen and is organic. Being on black clay.....read concrete or chewie depending on the weather.....it has help to turn the clay into quite a good friable soil. I remain a big fan and devoted user.

Peachy

OK Peachy, just for us "Mericans" what the heck is a "chookie"? Some kind of unique animal to Oz?? :blink:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Captain Cook chased a chook all around Australia

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Peachy

OK Peachy, just for us "Mericans" what the heck is a "chookie"? Some kind of unique animal to Oz?? :blink:

Steve, I learned on an old thread around here that many Aussies call their chickens, "chooks, or chookies"

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve, I learned on an old thread around here that many Aussies call their chickens, "chooks, or chookies"

BS Man

LOL, aussies generally don't use the common or grammatically correct word if a shorter or more colourful alternative can be found. So you get things like chook - chicken, goog - egg, snag - sausage, ridgy-didge - true, porky or pork pie - lie (fib), yarn - story or tale (often exaggerated somewhat by a few porkies), etc. Which leads to a unique and greatly reduced form of communication ie. Gonna throw some snags on the barbie this arvo after we sink a few coldies down at the rubbity - meaning "we are going to cook a pile of sausages on the bar-b-que this afternoon after we drink several beers down at the local public hotel.

This being the norm with all ridgy-didge Ockers anyway.

And I ain't spinning you no yarn, fair dinkum :D

I have found a couple of Carpies growing VERY WELL near the chook pen... Scott thought I wouldn't notice.. <_< . See that is how good chook poo is.... until I get on my ride-on again...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bill,

Do you know what a Chook Tractor is?

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bill,

Do you know what a Chook Tractor is?

Bruce

A pig?

Very nice thread and i love the humor... :lol:

In all my potting soil mix i often use bone meal,dried dead leaves(humas grade),very sparingly red soil,neam composite and washed river sand.the palms all grow like mad.Though i have accesses to cow manure i seldom use it since our dogs like to eat it.So our vet has advised not to use any organic manure in our garden.. :huh:

Lots of love,

Kris :)

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here in the USA we use chicken products from Jongs in Riverside. they have one ton bulk bags available for direct pickup plus sell smaller bags in retail outlets.

http://www.grobetter.com/index.php?cPath=22

In Australia we use Katek super growth

http://www.katekfertilizers.com.au/super-g...-fertilizer.htm

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 6 years later...

BUMP

I wanted to start a new thread about using chicken manure in palm tree plantings but a quick Google search brought this one up. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

What's the best way to mix in chicken manure to your plantings. Should I mix it along with my backfill soil? Or should I spread it as a mulch?

Usually I mix half SuperSoil palm and cactus mix with my dirt to backfill, but if chicken manure will be even better....

just wanted to get some feedback from members who are using it or have used it before.

I'll post a pic of my chicken manure just for Dave later...:mrlooney:

Daniel, in my Pandomonium, using a non-scientific method, I took a 1/2 bag of chicken manure (the Lowes special), 1/2 sqft of peat moss, and about 1 sqft of Kellogg n-rich into a bed about 2x3 ft by 1 ft deep, along with native soil, which is a clayish decomposed sandstone dirt, and rototilled it all in with a tiller machine, mixed up good. I then added about an inch of n-rich on top and then additional 2 inches of fine mulch on top of that.

Then I stuck a 5g Pinanga coronata I had just bought into it and put it on a drip. That was a few months ago. The Pinanga threw out a midget frond, which may have been a pre-existing condition, and then it started cranking. The current spear is moving at a rate of 7 inches a week (you can almost see it move). The newest frond is thick super dark dark green with no yellowing, mottling, or brown tipping whatsoever like I've seen on other coronatas in socal. Unlike all older leaves, the newest leaf doesn't show any burn either from the 1-2 hours of sun it's getting. It has already eclipsed the previous coronata of similar size I bought a year ago that didn't go into this kind of treatment.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Great info, Pando.

Nothing nearly that scientific from me, but I've used it both with backfill and as a top dressing and think it makes a big difference. It's good stuff and cheap.

Thanks Ando and Matt.

That's what I wanted to hear. I dug a hole for my double b. alfredii and it was hard compacted soil with the worst drainage I've ever seen in my yard. I guess I'm gonna make the hole waaaay bigger now and back fill with a bunch of good stuff like Pando did.

SuperSoil is pretty expensive when you're a palm nut, chicken manure is pretty cheap, maybe I'll mix them together and make a more affordable and hopefully a richer soil.

Maybe I should pick up coffee grounds from the Starbucks and mix it in too. What do you guys think?

Yup - what I've learned is that you still have to work out the drainage to the hole, otherwise you'll have an equivalent to an in-ground container with no drain holes. The rich organic stuff in the hole gets waterlogged and starts stinking, eventually suffocating the plant.

I have put a of chicken manure around the palms this year and they seem to really love it.  Smells like, well.............. manure!  WORKS!!

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999