IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nacapule Canyon in Sonora

Zac in NC

I went with richtrav and Lee from Tucson at the beginning of July. I have a few pics from that trip. Palms in this canyon are Sabal uresana, Brahea elegans and Washingtonia robusta. Now without further ado, here some are.  I know there have been requests.

post-9-1153879049_thumb.jpg

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Adam (as you're known by the Border Patrol), great pictures. Any time you can see: robustas, Sabal uresana, Brahea elegans, Brahea nitida and Sabal rosei (the Sabals by the marina, at least I think they're rosei and Richard is leaning towards rosei as well) in habitat I say that's a great trip.

Let me know the next time you're ready to head back down into Sonora.

Lee

(you should post those on the other board too)

Yeah Adam says that is was a good trip. Those ones that were on the flats were kinda weird. Next time I want to head to Sonora...Well I have to have money again, but I would love to see the area again.  Its just so damn far from me. That is the only problem.

Zac

Zac  

Dear Zac,

All your pictures are amazing !

and i have seen the pictures in your webshots gallery, they are terrefic.

Iam kris from South India.and as for the pic in post no 9,if iam in that location i too would have done the samething_pal

and what sp trunk are you holding ?

iam glad iam not alone in this palmmania craze... :)

one family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Zac....

Thanks for sharing your photographs....

I understand that Brahea elegans only exists in cultivation and if that is the case what might the Brahea be in your photograph.

I recently purchased a number of 10 to 15 year old Brahea's that were from seed brought back from Mexico by a plant enthusiast....they include pimo, nitida, dulcis and one that he has named sp.sonora.   do you have any idea what this one might be.  It is quite green ...

regards...Malcolm

Zac,

That looks like extremely rough terrain! Is there a trail going into the canyon?

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Malcolm,

Thanks, glad you liked them :).

According to Felger's Palms of Sonora all the braheas on the coast belong to elegans, even though there's a lot of variation.  It comes in a wide range of colors from silver to dull green, most are in between

Lee, yeah the sabals do superficially look a lot more like rosei, but both Drs. Felger and Zona have been to these populations and have put them in uresana, so I guess I'll keep calling them uresana. They sure are different from the inland form though.

Richard

Great palm pics, and that is one tall Brahea!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Kris- That was a Washingtonia robusta. Thanks for all the complements. It was a great trip, even though it was a bit too dry for my tastes. Give me humidity any day, but the palms were worth seeing.

Zac

Zac  

Zac,

Nice photo's, thanks for sharing your trip with all of us. It's amazing just how well a few palms can adapt to such a dry,hot and harsh enviroment. A complete opposite of what I normally see when I travel(for instance,the Masoala Peninsula).

Ps.....just wondering, how much rainfall in this area for an average year?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hmm Rainfall. I think it is less than 10 inches, but maybe I am wrong. It was very dry there, and the palms seemed to just come out of nowhere.

Zac

Oh yeah, maybe it is more since that is just a few miles from the Gulf of California, so that might make more rain for the area.

Zac  

Hummmm...a long neck Brahea...is this a new species?

Nice pics Zac.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Me with a trunk of a robusta.

Gileno the interesting thing is Merv Larson, who grows Braheas from Sonora from this canyon gets 2 distinct plants from seeds from Nacapule. A Silver palm and something else.  The problem is that you really have to sit and think before you label pics and even while in the canyon. It was very confusing.  

Zac

post-9-1153934967_thumb.jpg

Zac  

Probably Lee in Tucson can enlighten us more on the rainfall and climate of Central & southern Sonora but I do know (from having lived 4-years in Tucson) that that area can receive quite a bit of rain during the summer monsoonal period (usually late June thru September).

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

the rainfall range for that region is from 4"-8 (coast); hermosillo is about 11" and Yècora up in the mountains receives about 32".

Never heard about Nacapule canyon before but seems very dry. nice shots.

I`m on the south boder of the Sonora desert.

Saludos.

Nice photos.  What a unique habitat.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Zac in NC @ Jul. 25 2006,22:07)

I love palms.

You're a man after me own heart!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(leomx @ Jul. 29 2006,16:43)

the rainfall range for that region is from 4"-8 (coast); hermosillo is about 11" and Yècora up in the mountains receives about 32".

Never heard about Nacapule canyon before but seems very dry. nice shots.

I`m on the south boder of the Sonora desert.

Saludos.

Leo!

Nice to meet you.

Hope you show some pix.

Palms, people, anything.  

Hungry to know Mexico . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Zac:

Those are great pictures.  The awesome landscape, I can taste the delicious dry air on my tongue.

I picture cantinas with senioritas, who roll their dusky eyes when you tell them that you and your buds are down there to look at PALM TREES!

dave