IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Eco Reserve

Jeff in St Pete

Jeff, a really nice property. Thanks for the photos. How much does 700 acres cost?

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Wal, I've never seen any leeches and I've never heard about them being a problem here.

Mark, they are still in the beginning phases so I would rather not talk about their plans, but trust me, this place is going to be fantastic!

Thanks Kim. I still have more photos to post.

Randy, it's in the same general area as Rainmaker, but it's closer to Quepos.

Bill, you always have a standing invite here. The older thread was about Rainmaker which is a different property.

Robert, I couldn't even begin to guess how much 700 acres would be. More than I can afford! :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Nice little palms that were growing under the shade of the Cacao trees

post-747-1252392491_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252392498_thumb.jpg

Bromeliads

post-747-1252392506_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252392513_thumb.jpg

We got about half way finished eating lunch when it started to rain. We gathered everything up and headed back to the front porch of the lodge where we finished our picnic.

This plant was behind the lodge growing from the base of a large tree.

post-747-1252393037_thumb.jpg

Undersides of the leaves

post-747-1252393044_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252393050_thumb.jpg

the lodge

post-747-1252393056_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252393134_thumb.jpg

The rain was over quickly, so while everyone was finishing lunch I wandered up the path past the lodge

post-747-1252393141_thumb.jpg

Etlingera elatior

post-747-1252393147_thumb.jpg

Elaeis guineensis

post-747-1252393155_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252393316_thumb.jpg

Up above the lodge on a hilltop was a clearing with great views of the coast.

post-747-1252393321_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252393326_thumb.jpg

Another Elaeis guineensis

post-747-1252393334_thumb.jpg

African Tulip Tree

post-747-1252393568_thumb.jpg

the flowers

post-747-1252393574_thumb.jpg

walking back down to the lodge

post-747-1252393581_thumb.jpg

Since it stopped raining, everyone decided to go back over to the waterfall. A couple friends decided they wanted to take a dip and cool off.

post-747-1252393588_thumb.jpg

Getting a free neck massage!

post-747-1252393838_thumb.jpg

Swimming in the pool below the falls

post-747-1252393844_thumb.jpg

Nice place to sit and enjoy the falls

post-747-1252393850_thumb.jpg

Carludovica palmata

post-747-1252393857_thumb.jpg

While the girls were swimming, I walked down the river a little further to explore some more.

post-747-1252394031_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252394038_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252394051_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252394070_thumb.jpg

post-747-1252394537_thumb.jpg

Packing up to leave.

post-747-1252394544_thumb.jpg

That's all the photos that I resized. I took over 700 that day!

Wow Jeff!

That unusual looking flower in Post #6 is the appropriately named Hot Lips plant...Psychotria elata. It's a Coffee relative-in the same genus as the native "Wild Coffee"...Psychotria nervosa that grows here in Florida.

The Cool looking frog in Post #30 is also well-named: It's a Green and Black Poison Dart Frog...Dendrobates auratus.

¡Pura vida! indeed!

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

You weren't kidding! What a magical looking place! Fantastic photos as always, thanks! :D

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Yep....I'm just about ready to go back down to CR. What great memories! And what's up, you and 4 ladies? Awe, never mind. :lol:

And I see you found some of my little Zamia's. Nice....I couldn't really tell by your pictures, were they a smooth leaf( Z. fairchildiana)?

And 700 acres? Wow, that's a big spread. Maybe on a return trip down, I would love to visit.

That large leaf branch coming of a large tree you said, looks really interesting. Seeds? Come on, keep me in mind $ :)

In ending, it looks like you and the ladies had a great day. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ned, thanks for the ID on Hot Lips. I remember that name from our guide during the last Biennial. Thanks for reminding me! Thanks for the ID on the poison dart frog too.

Thanks Bren! I have a lot of new places to show you when you visit next time.

LOL Jeff! Yes, me and 4 ladies... we call ourselves the unofficial "Pura Vida Garden Club" and we try to do an outing every couple of weeks. Our next trip may be to a bamboo grower down south near Dominical or we are going to check out some nurseries up near Jaco. You should definitely come back for a visit. I always have an extra apartment available, so come on down when you can. You and Andrea are always welcome here.

I guess you saw something in my photos that I didn't notice because I don't remember seeing any Zamia. I thought I saw one when I first arrived, but after feeling the leaf, I realized it wasn't a Zamia. Isn't there a Chamaedorea that looks like a Zamia?

Jeff, Post #6 is a probably more wild form of Mussaenda. There are hybrids of this plant that are super beautiful that people plant in their gardens.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Jeff,

These photos were awesome. I hope I will be able to come to Costa Rica some day and be able to see all this natural beauty for myself.

Laura

Jeff - great pictures! :drool: Thank you for taking the time to post the photos and sharing with us the beautiful scenery and unique plants inthe reserve! :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Great photos

Thanks

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

A few days ago I got an email from a Botanist who lives in Costa Rica and works for Missouri Botanical Garden. A colleague of his who is traveling through Southeast Asia happened to see my post and saw some unusual plants in my photos and she asked him to check out the posting. Anyway, he got in touch with me and said he would like to come to the Eco Reserve to collect some herbarium specimens. I will be taking him to the site next weekend and I will post some additional photos at that time. This should be a lot of fun!

Wow. So many plants. Such beauty. I do hope everything will be preserved as is. Fantastic post! How long is an airplane ride from florida to CR?

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Hi Cindy, they are planning to do everything with as little impact as possible. Accomodations will most likely be in tent cabins on top of wooden platforms. This will be a very eco-friendly place.

The plane ride from Miami or Ft Lauderdale is only about 2.5 hours. It's a very quick flight.

Nice pics Jeff! :mrlooney: I'm drooling. We were planning Costa Rica in March, after wifey finishes school, but isn't it too dry? I was there in April & it was kinda dusty, We may wait till after the rain season.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Nothing like a waterfall in the forest to make one feel good.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Nothing like a waterfall in the forest to make one feel good.

dk

I agree Don!

I went back to the site today with a botanist and I took more photos but... it started raining and even though I covered my camera, it got wet or damp and now it won't work. This is my third camera in three years. I guess I'm not supposed to take any photos here. I give up!

Nice pics Jeff! :mrlooney: I'm drooling. We were planning Costa Rica in March, after wifey finishes school, but isn't it too dry? I was there in April & it was kinda dusty, We may wait till after the rain season.

Hi Randy, March and April are traditionally the two driest months of the year.

My favorite time of year is June and July - the rainy season is well underway by then and everything is much more green and lush. The mornings and early afternoons are sunny, then it gets cloudy and rains in the late afternoon or usually only at night.

Well, the camera still isn't working but I removed the memory chip and stuck it in my computer and downloaded the photos without the camera. I was hoping it would dry out and magically start working again, but I think it's a goner.

Here are some of the photos I took today. These will probably be the last photos I post for a long time.

Near the entrance to the river trail

post-747-1254612881_thumb.jpg

I posted a photo of this plant when I was here the first time but now it has a new flush of leaves.

post-747-1254612915_thumb.jpg

New leaves

post-747-1254612940_thumb.jpg

I think this is from the Cyclanthaceae family

post-747-1254613771_thumb.jpg

the flower

post-747-1254613815_thumb.jpg

An interesting plant that was collected today

post-747-1254613786_thumb.jpg