Cuban Royals in Chandler, AZ

44 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

Any water would help but access to the tree is blocked by construction fencing...  Windows have been removed from the building only covered by plywood.It hasn't rained here in months but I would expect a storm within 2 or 3 weeks that hopefully will save it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona.

Here's hoping you get that rain!

12 hours ago, aztropic said:

This was another famous local royal;probably the oldest in Phoenix that  died in last years bout with 120F.  (43rd ave just south of Olive in Glendale,Arizona)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_6695.jpg

Ah, that explains why I could not find it when taking a detour on my way back from the demo garden at the Library up there a few weeks ago.:(

On 6/30/2017 11:18:32, DesertCoconut said:

Oh no! I just saw that one last summer and it was doing great! Someone please tell me the one at the capitol building downtown is still alive? I haven't checked on it in a couple of years. How are yours doing, aztropic?  

Over the years,I've noticed most of my palms will tolerateup to 113F with little to no damage.Higher temps cause things to go down hill quickly.Even with plenty of water,this shot is typical damage for many of the plants so far this summer.Last summer outright killed two 20 ft tall Carpentaria.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1499043845887.jpg

I was in the area of the State Capitol building today so I thought I would stop in at the palm garden and check out the Royal there. I'm pleased to report it's alive and appears to be very healthy!  So I'm thinking the CIDP shading the trunk from western sun is what is saving this magnificent specimen? 

20170714_132139a.jpg

20170714_132211a.jpg