IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cuban Royals in Chandler, AZ

Kris

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

Any water would help but access to the tree is blocked by construction fencing...  Windows have been removed from the building only covered by plywood.It hasn't rained here in months but I would expect a storm within 2 or 3 weeks that hopefully will save it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona.

Here's hoping you get that rain!

12 hours ago, aztropic said:

This was another famous local royal;probably the oldest in Phoenix that  died in last years bout with 120F.  (43rd ave just south of Olive in Glendale,Arizona)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_6695.jpg

Ah, that explains why I could not find it when taking a detour on my way back from the demo garden at the Library up there a few weeks ago.:(

On 6/30/2017 11:18:32, DesertCoconut said:

Oh no! I just saw that one last summer and it was doing great! Someone please tell me the one at the capitol building downtown is still alive? I haven't checked on it in a couple of years. How are yours doing, aztropic?  

Over the years,I've noticed most of my palms will tolerateup to 113F with little to no damage.Higher temps cause things to go down hill quickly.Even with plenty of water,this shot is typical damage for many of the plants so far this summer.Last summer outright killed two 20 ft tall Carpentaria.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1499043845887.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the area of the State Capitol building today so I thought I would stop in at the palm garden and check out the Royal there. I'm pleased to report it's alive and appears to be very healthy!  So I'm thinking the CIDP shading the trunk from western sun is what is saving this magnificent specimen? 

20170714_132139a.jpg

20170714_132211a.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2017, 2:21:22, DesertCoconut said:

I was in the area of the State Capitol building today so I thought I would stop in at the palm garden and check out the Royal there. I'm pleased to report it's alive and appears to be very healthy!  So I'm thinking the CIDP shading the trunk from western sun is what is saving this magnificent specimen? 

20170714_132139a.jpg

20170714_132211a.jpg

great photo!

Thanks for sharing :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Did a fly by check on the Royal by the mall Tuesday.

While looking beat to ..hocky sticks.. it seems to be holding its own. Looks like the rain we got 2 weeks ago helped a little. Appears as though they're working on the building itself so maybe it will survive the transition to whatever opens there next.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another day, another look..

Sadly, this Royal specimen is no more. Looks like the soon to occupy tenant had it removed. :wacko:

• 4 years later...
On 7/1/2017 at 12:08 AM, Hammer said:

Couple a 5 gallon buckets should help.  No?

Definitely !

I do my share of bucket rescue around town 

Get a 5 gallon gasoline can (new ones are plastic) and use it for watering 

Two of these three times a week will keep it alive !

The tree was physically cut down and removed 5 years ago...

The tree at the state capitol has also been removed. Landscapers unfamiliar with crown shafted palms kept over trimming it and eventually killed it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year