IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CAROLINA PALMS

BobbyinNY

(BobbyinNY @ Aug. 05 2006,11:23)

You could move to South Texas.  The cost of living in TX is way, and I mean WAAAYYY cheaper than Florida.  Deep south Texas is equivalent to Central FL palmwise.  Other areas of TX are equivalent to Northern areas of Florida

If it was ONLY up to me, it would be a totally different story..... I would move back to the Miami area where I lived for almost 6 years - hands down.. that's my favorite place - It reminds me of Long Island with Palm trees - due to the amount of New Yorkers that have moved there and just the feel of the place..    I would also love to check out Texas... I've heard it's really nice there - but my wife wouldn't hear of it.. she's under the impression that there are a bunch of people running around with guns shooting like the wild west..lol.

Well TX aint FL that's for sure, it's a much drier climate in S. TX than FL, with the exception  of the upper gulf coast and Houston area. They are more like the South east/FL.  keep in mind you go from almost 60 inches or rain in east TX to about 8 inches in West Texas, so we have every type of climate available.  I have lived in Central FL for 5 years and TX for 6 years.  The Valley probably has as many or more palms per sq mile than Central FL.  Not South FL, though, unfortunately.  But on the positive side, a house that would cost you 500-600K in South FL you could get for probably less than 200K in TX.

So many options.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Anywhere from Tampa to Naples near the west coast would probably suit you fine. You might be able to convince the wife that it is not as crazy as miami and you could still grow an impressive variety of species. Not quite in Miami's league,  but you can still assemble a great collection.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

(tropical1 @ Aug. 05 2006,20:31)

Anywhere from Tampa to Naples near the west coast would probably suit you fine. You might be able to convince the wife that it is not as crazy as miami and you could still grow an impressive variety of species. Not quite in Miami's league,  but you can still assemble a great collection.

Well, I agree with that.  Having lived in Tampa for 5 years, if I were going to move back to FL, it would be on the West coast from Tampa south.  I like the Bradenton/Sarasota areas too.

yeah... I'm really trying to drag her as far south as I can.. If it were up to me... I'd be in the Keys.... Marathon sounds great  :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bob-

If you happen to be in the town of Beaufort, and want to pronounce the name, make sure there is an enunciation on the YOO, otherwise, I'd imagine you'd be labeled a tourist. It is:

Be-YOO-furt

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hi Bobby,

Nice picture's !! Do you have can get a little trachy for your own garden ?

Greetz robbin

Southwest

Hey Bobby,

Pine Island is cheap and warm, very warm (10b).  You could buy the 1/2 acre next to mine LOL.  I probably won't live there for years but palms will be planted out soon.

Ray

(BobbyinNY @ Aug. 06 2006,01:25)

yeah... I'm really trying to drag her as far south as I can.. If it were up to me... I'd be in the Keys.... Marathon sounds great  :)

What's the average property with land going for in the keys.  I would think it would not be cheap.

In Marathon you could probably do cyrtostachys outside in the ground. As for land, I know when I was there a mobile home was running about 500k on a small lot. I agree with Ray, Pine Island is awesome. I have heard the north end of the island is the warmest since it gets the north wind off charlotte harbor.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

(tropical1 @ Aug. 07 2006,23:14)

In Marathon you could probably do cyrtostachys outside in the ground. As for land, I know when I was there a mobile home was running about 500k on a small lot. I agree with Ray, Pine Island is awesome. I have heard the north end of the island is the warmest since it gets the north wind off charlotte harbor.

I wonder what an average size 3 br house with lot would go for, 2-3 mil maybe.

Christian, that's what I remember hearing in the movie The Great Santini, whose locale is said community. Before seeing that flick, however, I'd assumed it would be pronounced as it is by the French: [bO-for].

• Upvote 1

(tropical1 @ Aug. 07 2006,23:14)

Pine Island is awesome.

Where is Pine Island.  I can't remember from my FL days.

Hey Bobby,

Pine Island is cheap and warm, very warm (10b).  You could buy the 1/2 acre next to mine LOL.  I probably won't live there for years but palms will be planted out soon.

Ray

Ray,

I'm gonna check out Pine Island..... Sounds Great.......

Yeah, I know the Keys are ridiculously expensive...... But I still can't help thinking about a few years back when I used to live in South Florida going down to Islamorada every weekend.. Don't remember much...lol

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Gentlemen,

Pine Island is the largest island in Florida...and the last affordable one.  It's about 3 miles wide at its fattest point and about 17 miles long.  It's the big island due west of Ft. Myers/Cape Coral between Sanibel and Captiva and the Florida coastline.

Ray

"In my mind I'm going to Carolina......"

Where's Jeff Searle, he should know the rest of the words  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 09 2006,11:11)

OOh, Mr Taylor is popular down under too?

Zac

You seen those slide shows yet Zac, or did I waste my time and money ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 11 years later...