• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spathodea campanulata and Stephanotis floribunda blooming heavily

fastfeat

Shot the other day. Spathodea has probably never looked better.

DSC00064-1-1.jpg

Stephanotis floribunda, grown from seed, is in full, hot, southwest exposure.

DSC00066-1-1.jpg

DSC00067-2-1.jpg

• Like 1

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Very nice Fastfeat. This is one my most favorite trees in my garden. Mine is about 40' and has a buttressed trunk. It also flowers all year round now. It does make an incredible mess in spring when it goes nuts with the flowers and leaf drop and I am constantly pulling volunteers from all over the yard. I have a few volunteers I have potted up and given away. They grow as fast as a weed. I have heard from some that this tree may be declared invasive because of its prolific nature.

Is that your Stephanotis floribunda? That is really nice looking.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Very nice Fastfeat. This is one my most favorite trees in my garden. Mine is about 40' and has a buttressed trunk. It also flowers all year round now. It does make an incredible mess in spring when it goes nuts with the flowers and leaf drop and I am constantly pulling volunteers from all over the yard. I have a few volunteers I have potted up and given away. They grow as fast as a weed. I have heard from some that this tree may be declared invasive because of its prolific nature.

Is that your Stephanotis floribunda? That is really nice looking.

Ron--

Both Spathodea and Stephanotis are at a botanic gardens in Orange County, CA.

Spathodea does well in mildest SoCal climates, but it (fortunately) stays more compact than it does in FL. Occasional frost damage on young trees or in esp. cold years. Pneumatophores (root sprouts) are much less a problem here, possibly due to cooler soil and/or generally deeper soils than FL. If tree is in turf in FL, guaranteed to root sucker, after scalping roots with mower blades.

Seeds can sprout occasionally in FL landscapes, but I seldom saw volunteers. I suppose the state exotics people know what they're doing, but the root suckering is more problematic there, IMHO.

Stephanotis was from Madagascar seed (allegedly). I was surprised that they've taken full summer sun w/o bleaching foliage. Usually it's grown in filtered light here. Seems a little easier in CA than FL. Maybe nematodes are problematic in SoFla? Seems to bloom better where night temps are a little lower too. Again, pretty much a coastal plant in SoCal.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

My tulip tree is the ONLY one is SD that isn't blooming. It has the tons of buds and will bloom, but always takes until the later part of August to do so. I see blooming specimens all over SD starting in April. I don't know why mine is always so late. It is in a windy location maybe?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

• 3 weeks later...

My Spathodea just exploded recently. Here is a pic from today.

post-71-1252105116_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

My yellow ones are flowering at the moment.... but my orange is still too young. Maybe next year.... It seems to be the wrong time of the year, if yours is flowering... John. I think mine are confused....lol.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My Spathodea flowers nearly all year with only about 2 weeks off at the very end of winter. Our council no longer allows us to plant them as they are invasive but those already inground are permitted to stay there. Chinese elms, (extremely invasive) and S. romanzoffianum are under the same restriction, although there has been talk of declaring the Chinese elms a noxious weed. Amazing to me as it might seem, there are no restrictions on the very invasive Tipuana Tipu. Houses behind me have them and I spend a fortune getting rid of all the youngsters that invade my place every year.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy,

Where are you in QLand?

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Peachy,

Where are you in QLand?

Jerry

The outer western suburbs of Brisbane. (where the nice people live)

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hey John--

Looking good. I hope that the multi-trunked crotch holds together as the tree gets bigger, though. The wood on these is so soft and subject to breakage that I really encourage people to grow as a single-trunked specimen. And shame on nurseries that grow this as a multi-trunked tree! I'd avoid parking your car underneath in the future, just to be safe.

_____

Hey John--

Looking good. I hope that the multi-trunked crotch holds together as the tree gets bigger, though. The wood on these is so soft and subject to breakage that I really encourage people to grow as a single-trunked specimen. And shame on nurseries that grow this as a multi-trunked tree! I'd avoid parking your car underneath in the future, just to be safe.

I agree. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter