IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red Fruit Butia

freakypalmguy

I planted this Butia from a 15gal. 3 years ago and it has really started to take off. This is the first time this palm has held fruit and they are a very nice red color. Is this just another one of the variations of capitata, or is the red fruit an indication that it is a different type of Butia?

068.jpg

074.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Butia are like weeds here in Charleston. There is so much variance in butia it's hard to say, but we have many with orange and many with red fruits. When they ripen they all turn orange. Some trees hold 20 fronds where others will hold 40-50 fronds.

Butia are like weeds here in Charleston. There is so much variance in butia it's hard to say, but we have many with orange and many with red fruits. When they ripen they all turn orange. Some trees hold 20 fronds where others will hold 40-50 fronds.

There seems no rhyme nor reason to the colour of fruits. Here on the beach can be found red,yellow ,orange fruits all together within just 1 population of wild Butia odorata.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Butia capitata used to be divided into several varieties. One was var. nehrlingiana and was characterized by fruits that were round and red when ripe instead of ovoid and orange.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Matt,

I have a very robust Butia capitata with the same fruit color before it ripens. It's so colorfull that Patric S. calls it Rainbow. As Lazz mentions, they all turn orange when ripe. The Rainbow fruit is very tastey when ripe.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thank you Laaz, Nigel, Eric, and Dick for the replies, that settles it then, a Butia capitata with red fruit. I look forward to tasting them. I have not tried to hybridize this one yet, but I will next time it flowers.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yes, we see red fruit on a few trees here as well............much less common than orange. Even when these change to a more orange it is a more red orange as opposed to the yellow orange of most trees.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil