Dave Lewis 1966-2009

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JD in the OC

JD in the OC

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

One of our good friends Dave Lewis died today. He was electrocuted when a Ficus limb he was cutting fell on a power wire on Sanibel Island. He took pride in his "Lewis Cut", a method he used to trim coconuts, queens, and cabbage palms. He truly enjoyed working with and learning about palms.

Dave always put his friends above himself. We will miss you Dave. God bless!

Posted Image

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

This TVR is trapped in my garage by PALMS!

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

Bummer.
I guess its good to go doing what you enjoy, or are best at.
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."
"Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."
-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

#3 amazon exotics

amazon exotics

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Dave was a very nice guy that will be greatly missed by all that knew him. Dave and I have cut down or trimmed thousands of trees and I never thought this would happen. I know my & my family's life will never quite be the same without seeing Dave anymore. It's truly SAD ! Please remember all palm lover's that if there is any doubt in your mind about trimming around powerlines...DON'T DO IT ! Call the power company! God bless Dave.

#4 palmislandRandy

palmislandRandy

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Way to young :angry:
"If you need me, I'll be outside"                  -Randy Wiesner                       Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish    

#5 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear about, what appears to be a great friend of yours. He was way too young.......

Jeff
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#6 Taylor

Taylor

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

I was there on vacation when this happened. I had no idea what actually occurred but heard from the cashier at Arundel's Hallmark that someone was electrocuted. We had to turn around because the road was blocked off. They kept it off the news, so I thought it would always be a mystery but am shocked to hear about it on here, of all places. I guess we would have found out about it by JD at Seabreeze but it looked seriously closed up when we got there, unfortunately.

I'm so sorry, especially to learn that it was a fellow palm lover. My hat goes off to this man and all others that do this type of work. If there is anything I can do.... let me know.

Taylor
Happy Gardening.......

Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users