IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dave Lewis 1966-2009

JD in the OC

One of our good friends Dave Lewis died today. He was electrocuted when a Ficus limb he was cutting fell on a power wire on Sanibel Island. He took pride in his "Lewis Cut", a method he used to trim coconuts, queens, and cabbage palms. He truly enjoyed working with and learning about palms.

Dave always put his friends above himself. We will miss you Dave. God bless!

dave.jpg

Bummer.

I guess its good to go doing what you enjoy, or are best at.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dave was a very nice guy that will be greatly missed by all that knew him. Dave and I have cut down or trimmed thousands of trees and I never thought this would happen. I know my & my family's life will never quite be the same without seeing Dave anymore. It's truly SAD ! Please remember all palm lover's that if there is any doubt in your mind about trimming around powerlines...DON'T DO IT ! Call the power company! God bless Dave.

Way to young :angry:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I'm sorry to hear about, what appears to be a great friend of yours. He was way too young.......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was there on vacation when this happened. I had no idea what actually occurred but heard from the cashier at Arundel's Hallmark that someone was electrocuted. We had to turn around because the road was blocked off. They kept it off the news, so I thought it would always be a mystery but am shocked to hear about it on here, of all places. I guess we would have found out about it by JD at Seabreeze but it looked seriously closed up when we got there, unfortunately.

I'm so sorry, especially to learn that it was a fellow palm lover. My hat goes off to this man and all others that do this type of work. If there is anything I can do.... let me know.

Taylor

Happy Gardening.......

Taylor