IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brazil 2010

SW_FL_Palms

For those that have been to Brazil and have gotten a Visa, would you please share your experience with us.

Attached is a PDF of the Brazilian Visa Application

There are several items that you must have before applying including your airline tickets.

It also says " If attending a conference or seminar, a letter of invitation from the organization in Brazil

which is hosting the event. "

Could IPS supply a letter of invitation that we can all use - it does say from the organization in Brazil.

Brazilian_visa_application.pdf

I don't really think that's relevant in our case, but will definitely check into it. There is no organization in Brazil that's hosting the Biennial. The IPS, a U.S. based non-profit organization, is hosting the event. I'm sure everybody can just look at this as a vacation trip to Brazil, and refer to it as such when applying for a visa. But, like I said, will check into this.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I don't really think that's relevant in our case, but will definitely check into it. There is no organization in Brazil that's hosting the Biennial. The IPS, a U.S. based non-profit organization, is hosting the event. I'm sure everybody can just look at this as a vacation trip to Brazil, and refer to it as such when applying for a visa. But, like I said, will check into this.

You don't need a reason or even the IPS as a reason for on the Visa. I always go under "tourism", "pleasure", etc. as it negates the need of an invitation letter. As a tourist, you can visit all the botanical gardens and national parks you want, see friends, etc.. The visa will cost US citizens $100 in any case, thanks to the US who first raised its fees. If you are non-US citizen, the visa fees are way less and are stated on the Brazilian Counsulate page.

Leland

Topagonia

I got a visa for Brazil when I went on the Amazon palm trip organized by Andrew Henderson in 2006. I sent my passport and some money to a company in southern California that takes care of those things. I have misplaced their name and address, but I got it from an online search.

The visa was glued directly to a page in the passport. The options on the visa were for single or multiple entries and for one or five years. The visa company got me multiple/five so I am good for Rio. The first entry had to be within 90 days of the issuance of the visa. I had to fill out some forms that I downloaded from the website of the Brazilian Consulate in (I think) LA. On the form, I gave the address where I was staying as the address of the captain of the boat. I already had my plane reservations, thanks to Andrew and his travel company, which sent me a letter to give to the consulate comfirming my plane reservations. I don't remember what I stated as the reason for my visit.

I haven't read your application form yet, so I don't know how much has changed.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Leland and Mike, thanks a lot for your feedback. Re Leland's "if you're a non-U.S. citizen, the visa fees are way less etc.". If you're not a U.S. citizen, make sure you check if you need a visa, period. Citizens from many countries (primarily in Europe) do NOT need a visa for Brazil. As a Swedish citizen, I don't need a visa, for instance.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

My advice is that you just say you are going as a tourist if you need a visa. Why complicate things. One of the things you learn when living in Brazil is that life is complicated enough the way it is so why complicate it. Those countries that do not require visas for Brazilians normally do not need visas for their citizens visiting Brazil.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned on another post that going through the Brazilian embassy in Washington DC was very difficult 2 and 3 years ago when I had to get visas. For a soccer tour, they required letters of invitation from Brazil. This was organized by Brazilians in the US so they had to have the people they were working with in Brazil come up with invitation letters. These were faxed up, but the embassy said faxed signatures weren't good enough (I can't remember how they got this approved, perhaps a PDF signature). They also required documentation from the travel agency in Brazil that was organizing hotels and travel. Also contact phone numbers.

It wasn't just this group either--most people were getting rejected for some reason or other. A city delegation from Annapolis had to cancel their trip. Brazilians also were getting rejected a lot for whatever they were applying for. A Brazilian woman next to me rolled her eyes and said as if to explain: "3rd-world bureaucracy".

I would urge the IPS to figure out how to comply with the letter of the law on this one, and find out how to create "a letter of invitation from the organization in Brazil which is hosting the event" that will satisfy a nitpicking embassy bureaucrat. Better to start on it right now, than wait for an emergency from some people who ran into a tough bureaucrat and couldn't get a visa.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

My advice is that you just say you are going as a tourist if you need a visa. Why complicate things. One of the things you learn when living in Brazil is that life is complicated enough the way it is so why complicate it. Those countries that do not require visas for Brazilians normally do not need visas for their citizens visiting Brazil.

You all need listen to Don..... this is the world capital of absurd bureaucracy, keep it simple and dont give them any more excuse than they need to make it difficult.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...

You all need listen to Don..... this is the world capital of absurd bureaucracy, keep it simple and dont give them any more excuse than they need to make it difficult.

Nigel,

It looks like you have been here long enough to learn the keep it siimple lesson.

The Brazilian immigration policy is roughly tied to the country of origins treatment of Brazilians. Since, the USA is the all time pain in the rear for getting a visa they somewhat make things more complicated for Americans coming to Brazil. But, it is a long way from the hassel of getting a US tourist visa for a Brazilian. As I stated above just come down as a tourist and don´t even mention a convention or other meeting that could be construed as some sort of business event. You are going to visit Rio and have a booking for a hotel, and are going to look at palm trees and go to the beach. Brazil wants tourists, they bring in dollars and normally process things smoothly. But, I would not wait until the last minute for processing the visa.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Last time I got one --- it was about 2 hours --- I went to Fairchild afterwards--- As DK pointed out it is totally reciprocal on what they inflict upon Brasillians --- You got me why we impose Visa requirements on Brasillians --- South Africa has a simular VISA requirement.

Best regards

Ed

Last time I got one --- it was about 2 hours --- I went to Fairchild afterwards--- As DK pointed out it is totally reciprocal on what they inflict upon Brasillians --- You got me why we impose Visa requirements on Brasillians --- South Africa has a simular VISA requirement.

Best regards

Ed

Ed, are you going ? If so why not pop down to SC afterwards to visit me and see some native palms here ?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Best regards

Ed

Ed, are you going ? If so why not pop down to SC afterwards to visit me and see some native palms here ?

Nigel

Good to hear fromj you! Probably go on the pretrip to the Amazon --- conference I may not have cash. If your around I may go down your way or spend a week in MG and Bahia to look at other Syagrus and Butia

Best wsihes,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Ed,

I hope I can meet you here if you come on the Amazon trip. I have no plans on doing that trip as my Amazon trip is a daily affair. But, I would love to meet the people on the trip. And, if I may be of any assitance I am available. The bridge over the Negro River will be done by then. Maybe I could host a BBQ at my place up the river.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Aloha Palm Talk pals – regarding the earlier posted comment “But, I would not wait until the last minute for processing the visa.”

I reviewed the Brazil Tourist VISA Application info, and below is the VISA submission timeline I think I need to follow. Any feedback will be appreciated so that we do not submit our application too early:

I think we have to wait to mail in our original U.S. Passport and VISA application, because the Brazil VISA web site states “First arrival in Brazil must take place within 90 days from the date the visa was issued.” If for example we arrive in Brazil on 4-4-2010, that means our VISA cannot be dated earlier than 90 days prior to 4-4-2010 – so our approved Brazil Tourist VISA should be dated mid January 2010 or later. The Brazil VISA form info states their VISA processing time is 7 business days, so maybe the end of the first week in January 2010 is the time we U.S. Passport holders should mail in our completed Brazil VISA Application form, our Passport, recent photos, our check and all the other required documentation:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=59427

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

• 2 weeks later...
Ed,

I hope I can meet you here if you come on the Amazon trip. I have no plans on doing that trip as my Amazon trip is a daily affair. But, I would love to meet the people on the trip. And, if I may be of any assitance I am available. The bridge over the Negro River will be done by then. Maybe I could host a BBQ at my place up the river.

dk

Good to hear from you.. I will see if I can rent a car and come see you.

Bewst regards

Ed