IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mrs. Dent Smith, 1927-2009

Bob Johnson

Doris Smith, wife of Palm Society founder Dent Smith, passed away on May 10th. She was 82 years old.

A memorial service for Doris will be held at 11 am on Tuesday, June 30th at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, 216 Ridgewood Ave., Daytona Beach, FL.

In Lieu of flowers, the family has asked that memorial contributions be made to:

Hospice of Volusia /Flagler, 3800 Woodbriar Trail, Port Orange FL 32127

or

The Tribute Program, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, FL 33156

Doris’ son Rick shares the following about his mother:

“Her best friend and traveling companion was Dent. They met while on a tour of Europe. They continued to travel after getting married and Dent shared with her his love of Mexico. She was born April 24, 1927 in Manhattan, New York, so the sights that Dent introduced to her were a bit of a culture shock. After Dent passed away, one of her passions was trying to preserve Dent’s palm trees. She always welcomed the occasional visitor who wanted to walk the property.”

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

I'm sorry to hear she passed. My condolences to the family.

I bet she had some great travel and palm collecting stories. I wonder if anyone wrote them down or published them?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Yeah, Dent did himself.

'Principes' days... You can dig them up thru the IPS search...

He was the true 'zone pusher' I've read.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 2 months later...

Bob, any chance CFPACS could see the garden one last time before it becomes a memory?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bob, any chance CFPACS could see the garden one last time before it becomes a memory?

Hi Ray,

I did discuss that possibility with Doris' son Rick when I was at the funeral in June. Nothing has been set yet, but I hope that we can put something together. I know that many of our members (myself included) would like to make a pilgrimage to the garden.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

I think he was more involved with the IPS wasn't he?

But yeah, that's a brilliant idea.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 5 months later...

Bob, After reading Dent's autobiography that you were kind enough scan and send, all I can say is that both Dent and his wife were remarkable people. What an incredible time to live and see the beauty of Mexico and fall in love and marry one of it's beauties. What a great book! Thanks again.

What you look for is what is looking