IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinostigma Samoense (Warburgii)

ellidro

I know this is probably a pipe dream but has anyone tried a Clinostigma Warburgii (Samaoense) in socal. Last winter I had two Exorrizum(sp?) and two Harlandii do fine with no ill effects. I love the look of Warburgii and would be amped if I could grow one. Anyone tried one?

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I know this is probably a pipe dream but has anyone tried a Clinostigma Warburgii (Samaoense) in socal. Last winter I had two Exorrizum(sp?) and two Harlandii do fine with no ill effects. I love the look of Warburgii and would be amped if I could grow one. Anyone tried one?

Havnt tried them in SoCal, but here is one in habitat that I saw in Samoa last month.

post-3311-1245791884_thumb.jpg

Nick, I've killed a few in the greenhouse so no luck so far. My container growing skills have gotten better so maybe it's time to try again. If anyone can grow that tropical stuff, you seem to have it down. Good luck.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Havnt tried them in SoCal, but here is one in habitat that I saw in Samoa last month.

Im going to Samoa sometime this year and hope to see a few myself. Any tips on where to see them.

Ellidro - they love humidity and like alot of water. You may be in for a frustrating experience with them in Southern California with your hot dry summers. :huh:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've had the same experience as Matty - they die pretty quickly in my cold frame even though it never drops below 7 or 8C (45F) in there. I've gotten them as big one gallons from Jeff Marcus early in the summer, they grow REALLY fast all summer, then they're dead by maybe February...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I killed most of mine in summer!!! Lack of drainage spelled disaster. That combined with mites and leaving them for 3 weeks when I went away on vacation.

about 4 were struggling just before winter started. I brought them inside and lack of airflow/light did them in.

I was pissed. I'd like to try again knowing what I know now.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Same results with C. ponapense also, BTW.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Im going to Samoa next month and hope to see a few myself. Any tips on where to see them.

I was on the islands of Upolu and Savaii. On Upolu, you can see tons on any of the 3 cross island roads. Especially up near Papapapai-tai waterfall. Also along the Le mafa Pass Rd near Fuipisia Waterfalls. On that drive you will see entire mountainside full of them. The one in the picture i posted earlier is near the village of Ti'avea. You dont see to many along the coast, mostly in the interior. Samoa is definately one of the most beautiful places in the world. Where abouts in Samoa are you going to be?

Mike

post-3311-1245797076_thumb.jpg

post-3311-1245797110_thumb.jpg

I'm going to stay at the Samoana Resort on the south coast of Upolu. My plan is to surf then explore. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

They somehow look even more beautiful in habitat. Thanks for the great photo!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I like my C. harlandii better than my C. warbs. I wish I had planted 10 of them and 3 C. warbs. instead ot the other way around.

And I think they have a fighting chance in SoCal.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

GreenIslandPalms,

Great photos! Funny thing is, we were in Samoa, both on the island of Upolu and Savaii, back in 1980...WAY before I knew anything about palms. We rented a car (on Upolu) and drove across the island and I remember seeing all the Clinostigmas at the higher elevations there. And I'm going to persist in calling them C. samoense...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I killed most of mine in summer!!! Lack of drainage spelled disaster. That combined with mites and leaving them for 3 weeks when I went away on vacation.

about 4 were struggling just before winter started. I brought them inside and lack of airflow/light did them in.

I was pissed. I'd like to try again knowing what I know now.

Mike - I don't believe they are very fond of calcareous soil as well. :huh:

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I'm going to stay at the Samoana Resort on the south coast of Upolu. My plan is to surf then explore. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

I was also there to surf and checked out the area near the Samoana resort, there is a couple of really good surfspots near there. A place called Coconuts and Boulders are two of the best spots on the island, but the boat drivers at the Samoana will know where its good always. We had a car, so it was easy to explore other spots and the interior on flat days and I would highly reccomend getting one for a day or two to explore whatever you want to see. Try and get over to the island next to Upolu called Savaii if you have time: ton of good surf, little to no tourists and super cool people. Samoa is insane and I cant wait to go back! Have fun,

Mike

Death.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

GreenIslandPalms,

Great photos! Funny thing is, we were in Samoa, both on the island of Upolu and Savaii, back in 1980...WAY before I knew anything about palms. We rented a car (on Upolu) and drove across the island and I remember seeing all the Clinostigmas at the higher elevations there. And I'm going to persist in calling them C. samoense...

Bo-Göran

Wouldn't the palms on Savaii be Savaiiense Bo ? Although I don't see that name listed on the PACSOA site.

Very thirsty palms are Clinostigmas, be warned.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I like my C. harlandii better than my C. warbs. I wish I had planted 10 of them and 3 C. warbs. instead ot the other way around.

Hey Dean, can you maybe post a pic of your C. harlandii? I'd like to see why you're so fond of them vs the C. samoense. I like the white powdery trunk. How about you?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It is one of the palms I cuddle. My one and only is going ahead, a bit uphill in Tenerife. It is 4 years old and this winter was unusually cold - it has showed very slow growth during about four months, then it produced a shorter leaf, about the half than expected. Now it is back to usual health, ready for 6 months of fast growth.

It does not seem bad in our climate, I see it does well when between 16-31 C. It grows well during the hot dry summers, but not so in winter, as it turns yellowish and slows down considerably in Feb-Mar. It possibly stands better some spells above 36 C than a few months falling at 10 C.

Carlo

Hey, death, just death.

For whatever [expletive] reason!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Guys

Clinos are great palms and they have done well for me here.

Below is a pic of C.exorrhizum (I think - RPS seeds) taken last year April

Clino.jpg

The the same palm earlier this month (pic not so great and my scale model has grown a bit too...)

clinopic.jpg

So is this C.exorrhizum or not?

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

There is something very special about Clinostigmas, one of those palms that mesmorise and enthrall.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dean, can you maybe post a pic of your C. harlandii? I'd like to see why you're so fond of them vs the C. samoense. I like the white powdery trunk. How about you?

Bet you thought I forgot about you Matty, didn't you? Sorry, been kinda busy lately. Here's a few not so great pics, but better than nothing. The one with the house in the background is the C. Warbs, and the other three are the C. Hars. BTW - these are 5 years old, from large 2 gals.

post-11-1247339871_thumb.jpg

post-11-1247339892_thumb.jpg

post-11-1247339914_thumb.jpg

post-11-1247339939_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Really beautiful Dean, are the vertical fissures more of a C. harlandii trait?

Didn't mean to get off track here, this is a, "trying to grow", in SoCal thread.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Dean, are the vertical fissures more of a C. harlandii trait?

Tim

Tim,

From my limited experience so far --- I would say yes. I think C. savoryanum has some too, but I don't have any of those that are trunking here in Hawaii. I can only tell you that my C. warbs, and my C. ponas don't have cracks that are that pronounced.

Kona, on The Big Island

Thanks Dean, my C.samos are only a year in the ground and still throwing half pinnate half entire leaves, but growing like

gangbusters. The adventitious roots and base look like they are getting ready to explode. Pretty cool.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics Dean! I can see how the C. harlandii are darker green and considerably more powdery.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 3 years later...

I love Clinostigmas but I never saw one outside Palmtalk topics!

Thanks to all Palmtalk members showing their palms:

I wonder if we'll have success with Clinostigma in Sri Lanka, but we'll give them the same conditions like Areca has: stream bank for example.

Do you believe it'll be ok?

Regards

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Philippe,

I am certain that they will love your environment. Give them a little bit of elevation, lots of rain and lots of sun and they will do very well. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

After relocating from California to Big Island, Clinostigmas became a favorite palm for me so I’m sending good luck wishes to our palm pals in SoCal – although the year-round weather temp here in Kona is favorable for Clinostigmas I do have an issue similar to SoCal in that Kona is seasonally dry – irrigation on Kona-side seems to be very important for Clinostigmas and other thirsty palms - an irrigation line malfunction or sprinkler timer problem can (and has) resulted in palm death

Tim – I went out and looked and see those vertical cracks you mentioned are present on my Ponapense – the cracks appear much smaller on my Samaoense and Harlandii, but those are in a different area of my yard so who knows… I did a few Google searches to look at some Clinostigma palm trunk photos and see those same vertical cracks so perhaps this is a normal thing?

Although this thread is specific to Clinostigmas in SoCal, it reflects a common trait among palm nuts – we’d all like to grow some nice palms that are not well-suited to our climate zone and we often push the envelope (and occasionally some succeed) – I now live in a real palm paradise yet I really miss those great Rhopalostylis sapida / Nikau palm / Shaving Brush Palm trees that did so well in my old yard in Oakland, CA… they just won’t thrive here

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

The harlandii is my fastest grower (beauty is a bonus) and I'll even dare to say it's faster than Bentinkia Nicobarica. It thrives in Costa Rica and really took off quick when I put it in the ground six months ago as a seedling. The new leaf on my biggest is up to my chest. The Samoense (and Exhorrium) don't transplant well (I lost most of mine from Jeff and Suchin and they will be the first to tell you about the transplant risk) and have a little more leaf burn than the Harlandii when transplanted. I'm also getting some funky spots on all three of my Savoryanums after putting them in the ground last month. Not sure what to make of it.

Interesting comment about the transplant risk. Have to ask Jeff next time I see him exactly what his experience is. I planted 75 C. samoense on leased land in 2006/2007 when we started up our nursery. They were about two ft tall. In April 2011 when the nursery was liquidated, the owners of the land required that everything be removed, including the palms I had planted. The C. samoense were now about 15-18 ft tall with 2-4 ft of trunk. A local guy dug up ALL of them with a backhoe, and distributed them to neighbors here who were interested. He lost two or three when he dug them up because of damage by the backhoe. As far as I know, all the others survived and are doing great. I should add that digging up palms here is a very tricky proposition since we have very little soil and roots tend to find their way into cracks and crevices, making it next to impossible to retrieve a decent sized rootball.

A bit off topic here, but no problem here transplanting C. samoense. I planted a couple in the open space behind the backyard and the pigs dug them up and left them laying on their

sides, roots exposed and all for a few days before I found them. I potted them back up and about 6 months later replanted them back where they were, now with protection. They didn't

skip a beat. Tough for me I'd say.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Sorry guys. I should have been more specific. As a seedling shipped from Jeff (and then transported here to Costa Rica), they seem to not transplant well but given your comments it's probably just a function of time in transit.