IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neighborhood palms

amazondk

I took a few shots around the neighborhood today.

This shot is the street behind our street and has some nice remaining Oenocarpus bataua still standing.

O.jpg

I went to get some planting soil and chicken manure from this guys little garden shop.

Gardenshop.jpg

I drive by this clump of Euterpe olearcae all the time.  I am going to move one from our lot to our back yard, I hope it looks like this in a few years.

E-2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Royal palm, Bactris gasipaes, E. olearacae

RoyalAaipupunha.jpg

The Tucumã - Astrocaryum aculeatum, they spring up where there is vacant land all around town.

tucuma.jpg

A corner fruit stand.  I stopped by an bought some pupunha fruit to boil up for breakfast tomorrow - Bactris gasipaes.

Pupunhaman.jpg

Some palms on the University campus close to our place. Socratea exorrihiza and O. bataua and E. precatoria.

paxiubapatauaaai.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Exotic palms as weeds - great concept! Love the pics!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

I guess one man's weed is another man's exotic.  By the way the pineapples we have here are fantastic, and I love the pupunha (Bactris gasipaes) for Sunday breakfast.  Just cook them in the pressure cooker with salt for a while, and eat away.  Do they eat them in Hawaii?

Thanks, dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, no they don't eat them in Hawaii, well, at least the average person here would not be familiar with them.  However, Bactris gasipaes is grown for "Hearts of Palm".

Again, enjoy your postings from Amazonia land.  I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here's my Bactris gasipaes (spineless form).  I've remove all suckers  to keep it at only 4 trunks  . . .

post-90-1163272509_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Nice pictures.  Enjoyed them as usual Don.  The Bactris gasipes fruit are sold in the same manner here, roadside stalls.  We usual have them as a mid afternoon snack.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Dear Amazon DK  :)

very nice pictures and thanks for highlighting the

local fruit market,some of the red fruits are very

new to me.

thanks for sharing your lovely moments with us.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Al,

Nice tree.  These trees are used for palm heart producton commercially here as well.  They have obtained a pretty good market share now.  The palm heart is quite a bit different from the traditional Euterpe hearts.  There are also seedless varieties.  When you get some fruit try the recipe above.  You have to make sure they are cooked well.  You can either take the skin off with your teeth or use a knife.  I think that they are quite good for your health.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Robert,

What months of the year do the Bactris gasipaes fruit there?  And, what is the local name for the tree?

Kris,

I am sure the Bactris gasipaes would grow well where you are.  Maybe you could get something started for people to grow them for fruit, and palm hearts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg