IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huntington Gardens

STEVE IN SO CAL

I had a phone conversation this week about with one of our fellow IPS'rs here about the use of overhead watering at HBG, and how it was(IMHO) bad for the Parajubaeas. The other IPS'r said they didn't overhead water...

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

And one of the Parajubaeas in question....

IMG_0053.jpg

Nah...no overhead watering there!

(I won't say who it was,as I don't want to embarrass...but let me just say that he should give me some seeds from his only known seeding Rav Glauca in CA growing on his boulder strewn property in San Diego North County)

Hmmm. I wonder who that is?????? I think Richard T, ElHoagie and LePalmazon discussed something along those lines while we were there in July. I THINK we did, it was kinda a blur as it was all so new to me. Dangit Steve, you make me really want to get back out there.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Dear Steve  :)

what kind of research are they conducting in that

garden ?

it is of a popular belief that over head watering for

palm trees are very detrimental to its well being,as

it may eventually lead to fungal infection in the main

growth area.

only very few palms like lipstip palm tolerates this type

of over head sprinklers.

the watering method seen in your stills is good for a grass

lawn as it gives a near raining effect on the surrounding

plants.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Nov. 11 2006,01:21)

palm trees are very detrimental to its well being,

How else in nature would palms receive water but from overhead?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

BIG difference between mother Natures water and city water.  (Especially in a place that rarely gets rain water in the first place!)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Alot of my plams get overhead wate simply because there is no other choice.... I wonder if thats not another "california thing" :)

Im sure it has to do with the heat drying differential we have opposed to ca.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Dear Steve  :)

what kind of research are they conducting in that

garden ?

palm trees are very detrimental to its well being,as

it may eventually lead to fungal infection in the main

growth area.

only very few palms like lipstip palm tolerates this type

of over head sprinklers.

the watering method seen in your stills is good for a grass

lawn as it gives a near raining effect on the surrounding

plants.

Love,

Kris.

I think a palm in a tropical setting is use to overhead water, and is fine...A Parajubaea comes from a drier environment (EG try this with a blue Encephalartos)

And yes Kris, the grass looked good.

I would like to add that that the Parajube is seeding :)

What moron was not aware that HBG used OH watering?, everyone knows that, it's the only way to water such a large area. Go ahead Steve, bring them out of the closet.

As far as OH watering on Parajubaea's, I am still not convinced of the theory. So Cal heat is more likely the culprit for putting them into the death throws. If a palm is healthy, OH watering, insects, Chupacabras, etc..., will not bother the palm. Only a stressed palm will be succeptable to the nasties in the environment. If the palm is stressed, then OH watering can contribute as a medium for fungal growth that can accelerate decline, but it is not likely to be the primary cause. So I still stand by heat stress as the prime cause of Parajubaea decline in So Cal.

Until further notice, I will stick with planting Parajubaea Sunkhas, they don't have these issues.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I'm sticking with MY theory...Jubes and Parajubes (as well as Braheas and others) don't do well in Fl because of the heat AND moisture. Just the opposite of why alot of the tropicals don't do well here in Ca..our cold AND wet winters. Parajubaeas don't do well in our hot inland summers IF you keep their feet too wet(not necessarily overhead watering) Pythium is the culprit, and it is caused by heat and too much moisture.

So, lets review...Gary's wrong, and I'm right.  :P

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 11 2006,06:52)

palm trees are very detrimental to its well being,

How else in nature would palms receive water but from overhead?

Some palm species, like Braheas, drill deep in the ground for water, and survive fine with little rainfall.  Or, they happen to be near an artesian spring, like desert oases surrounded by date palms.

Or, they hoard the dew, like Jubes apparently do.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.