IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis basilonga (True)

LJG

For those of you growing these have they gone pinnate yet? I have found that right from the start the show the characteristic that gave them their name. Their basil leaflets are long and fat. In fact they are so heavy they weigh down the petiole and in a few instances already have caused the leaf to snap at petiole.

They are very fast growers and have a ton of color. I am really excited about this plant!

Anyone got any pictures? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Gary has one planted out now. I think they will do fine.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here is a pic of my one gallon. I have no idea what a mature one looks like and would love to see a pic.

dypsisbasalonga002.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I'd love to find this species one day. According to the POM in the early days botanists thought Dypsis decipiens was closely related to this one somehow.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Len I am really liking this palm also. I had three 1g's cruise thru winter. I planted one this spring. Not fast but steady with new leaves with a blue tint to them. Pics coming soon to thread near you.

San Marcos CA

Pics coming soon to thread near you.

I'll believe 'em when I see 'em.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Pictures? Sure Shon. Heard that before.

-

The odd thing about this plant is the basal leaflets. Look in this pic. I had two other plants that had the petiole snap from the weight - with my help as I over-head watered both times. Now I am careful.

Here you can see some color. I just potted these up and the weight of the leaves actually started tilting the plant so I had to tie 'er up till rooted back in.

I have talked to a few others that have been growing these from the original seed source too and they have the same issue. My greenhouse is bright too, so these are not super stretched. I just seems to be a unique characteristic of the plant. Has anyone else noticed this? Bo, Jeff, Jerry, Clayton, etc.... :)

post-649-0-27905500-1343621300_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-70229800-1343621328_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

I've been very excited about this plant since I got one a couple years ago. I have three now, the biggest is hopefully about to go pinnate now, I've just bumped it up to a 5g. My palms don't have an "basil" leaflets though...I'll have to taste the basal leaflets once it goes pinnate to see.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Funny Matt. Remind me to bring some fungus on my next visit.

However! You will notice when you google it, you will see some one else thought the same spelling in a thread very much like mine:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...mp;oq=&aqi=

Fifth result down.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, I suspect this illustrates your point OK.

post-27-1245378407_thumb.jpg

I planted my third one about a month ago. The first has been in probably 6 months now. I have them all in pretty good shade, but the the next one I plant, I'm going to throw it to the "wolves", ah, I mean out in full sun. :) My largest in a pot is now about 3-4' and has large basal leaflets, and a nice silver coloring on the underside of the leaves.

I have to say, the picture on page 78 in the Field Guide To The PALMS of MADAGASCAR book, looks nothing like the palms I saw when we saw these up on Mt. Vatovavy. Even the book states that they have a white crownshaft, where as the picture showing the palm appears to be orange. Very confusing.....

But either way, I hope many of us can grow these in our gardens all over the world.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff- Do us and you a favor. ACCLIMATE FIRST!! :D (even if only morning sun for a while)

• 1 year later...

Forgive the bump, but I have one in the ground finally and its just opening a leaf... (yes I'll take another "weeded and trimmed" pic when its open fully. This is mostly so I don't lost the thread..

post-27-062910600 1302316069_thumb.jpg

Anyother updates out there?

I forgot about this thread. That pic of the one I have now is in the ground and has two rings of trunk now. It is just getting use to full sun too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Dig out the camera Len..

I'd love to see it Len. I ended up with one of matt's plants. It's double planted in a 5 gallon pot along with a d. St. Lucie. I'm crazy like that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks like its got potential. I had some small ones years ago when I was in San Clemente, they grew good for me there. Wish I didn't sell them all! I never got them past 1g size. Lots of color :)

Braden de Jong

In case Len's too lazy, here's one that's been in the ground about 5 months, and already with 3 new fronds - very fast - even for here.

post-11-031563000 1302388177_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The pictures here look so much like what my "Dypsis saintelucei" are becoming. Am I missing something here?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The pictures here look so much like what my "Dypsis saintelucei" are becoming. Am I missing something here?

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

They are very similar looking as a juvenile, right down to both having a bluish tint on the backside of the leaflets. But they are definitely a different palm. One of the ways to tell them apart when smaller is that the "St Luce" has a very dark new spear, whereas the D. basilonga does not.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

They are very similar looking as a juvenile, right down to both having a bluish tint on the backside of the leaflets. But they are definitely a different palm. One of the ways to tell them apart when smaller is that the "St Luce" has a very dark new spear, whereas the D. basilonga does not.

Thanks for that.

Best regards

Tyrone

• 11 months later...

Aaron - did yours make it into the ground? Gotta pic?

Has anyone got a pic of Gary's palm?

Len how is yours doing? Got an in ground photo?

Bill (BS Man about Palms) - do you have an updated in the ground photo of your'ins?

Bill Austin - your photo looks gorgeous, gotta updated photo?

Shon - any pics?

Perhaps one of my favorite Dypsis. Mine unfortunately carked in the pot. I like to get "heeled" Dypsis large before I plant. I think it was left in too much shade and declined when I repotted it. :(

Would enjoy and appreciate any updated photos. I am sure the Aussies got some nice beauties going too. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Mine in the ground has been officially covered by weeds, But I noticed another leaf opening about a month ago..

Mine in the ground has been officially covered by weeds, But I noticed another leaf opening about a month ago..

post-1729-089959500 1331487878_thumb.jpg

Bill? :( How tall are the weeds? :huh:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My basilonga is doing well, I'll get a pic later.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

FINALLY! A nice basilonga out in the open showing those cool basal leaves!!

Great stuff Bill!

• 4 months later...

Bump, anybody else with an updated picture. I have a 5 gal I want to put into the ground, how much sun will they eventually take?

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Center of your front yard would be great Bill... :D

I was wondering about sun tolerance as well. I think Len had mentioned that he ranks it near D. st. lucie, which is a bit of a whimp in the sun.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here is the same plant a little over three years later. And yes, they do not handle full sun. Mine struggled until later last year when a ficus tree created canopy almost 75% of the day.

post-649-0-04338300-1343690341_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Mine gets sun until about noon. It used to get sun pretty much all day until a Caryota grew over it. Since it's getting more shade, it looks a lot better. Strange thing about this palm is how loose the crown is. Now that it's established it's growing pretty fast. :rolleyes:

post-0-0-56880000-1343698152_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-93549900-1343698170_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Good looking palm Randy !

Len yours is also looking good and a bit tighter. Great info about the sun (or less of it) in our area, so I won't fry my biggest one when I put it in the ground.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

post-2025-0-71556600-1343702252_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-19583500-1343702302_thumb.jp

Here is my largest one which was recently transplanted (April / May 2012) to this area (almost full sun except midday). I hesitated doing so for about a year but it seems to be adapting fairly well (opening 2nd frond since transplant).