IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New books

John Dransfield

I thought you'd all like to know that two new palm books have either just appeared or are about to appear.

1. A field guide to the Palms of New Guinea By Bill Baker and John Dransfield, published in English and a separate Indonesian version translated by Ary Keim. This deals with genera but for thel arge genera several distinctive species are mentioned. Full colour throughout.

2. A field guide to the Palms of Madagascar in two editions, one in Malagasy the other in English. This one deals with all palm species recorded for Madagascar. Full colour throughout.

Both books are small enough to fit into a large pocket.

They should be available from the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew on-line bookstore although when I looked myself I cannot see them listed yet. I'm hoping that they will be available through the IPS bookstore relatively soon.

John

John Dransfield

John,

This is great news! I know alot of us have been patiently waiting for these new releases. The Madagascar book should be exciting to see, and will hopefully clear up alot of questions on some of these palm species. Look forward to getting my copy!! :D

JEFF

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for this information John. The Pocket size sounds very good. A number of books I use in the field for plants around here are quite bulky and heavy, so the pocket size appeals to me from my own personal experiences in the field.

Zac

Edit- Any idea when the new Genera Palmarum will be out? I know we had a thread on it a while back and I think Bob Riffle started it or something.

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

So would the new field guide of  POM be considered a more up to date replacement of the existing POM?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The new POM field Guide includes all those species described since the publication of POM (e.g. D. carlsmithii) as well as a few nomenlcatural changes and of course all teh species from Madagascar in the original. In order to fit everything in, some species are treated together on the page with brief notes on how to distinguish them. It really is intended to be carried in the field - and at last all the info is available in Malagasy too - our Malagasy co-authors have done a brilliant job translating.

On the new edition of Genera Palmarum front - we are currently trying to finalise the manuscript, hoping to have it ready to submit to the designers and copy proofers at the end of this year. We estimate that it may be ready to go to the printer in April next year and would appear some time mid 2007. I can't wait for it to be finished!

John

John Dransfield

I'll be first in line to get many of these books for sure, including the new Genera Palmarum. I can't wait to see where many of the genera ended up placed in relationship to each other.

Ryan

South Florida

Thanks John for the info on Genera Palmarum. I'll be in line for the new edition as well. I don't have the old one, but I have checked it out from the North Carolina State University's Library numerous times. I guess I really am a nerd, huh? Thats fun reading material to me. Oh well.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I suspect the new edition of Genera Palmarum is benefitting from electronic publishing technologies not available back when the first edition was published.  The symposium for the first edition, held at Cornell circa 1987, was a lot of fun.  I recall getting extra cans of Dr Brown soda from the box lunches of attendees who couldn't understand/appreciate this exotic artefact of New York culture.  

I also suspect the handbooks will get a lot of "field" use at nurseries and palm sales.  How many mini-Madadascars and New Caledonias do we have in the USA alone?

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us