IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix sp. (High Plateaux)

Alberto

Cool! Thanks for the info Mikey. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

so we can surmise they will be kept as separate, real curious as to what he will use for this since they appear to be so much alike. Perhaps he can chime in here and give us a head's up, this should eliminate some of the confusion around these. I am planning on pushing them (alfredii) hard here, probably the best aesthetic alternative to Cocos in existence. Jubaeopsis a close 2nd (until they split).

Jv - will see what I can do about a pic, mine sited immediately adjacent to south side of house for cold protection, is or rather was under a tall Biz, but has grown out into full sun the past few yrs. I really love these palms but am hoping the alfredii will be more tolerant of cold. My windows palm gets badly damaged in mid 20's but has always come back.

Edited by Tala
  • Like 1

- dave

Thanks Tala, look forward to seeing your pics...

Speaking of pics; does anybody have the two (ok now three) varieties planted next to each other, so in the future we can see some comparative shots of the palms??? i.e. how they have grown, taken the cold etc... thanks. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Thanks Tala, look forward to seeing your pics...

Speaking of pics; does anybody have the two (ok now three) varieties planted next to each other, so in the future we can see some comparative shots of the palms??? i.e. how they have grown, taken the cold etc... thanks. Jv

Go back a couple of posts.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Early days for my B. alfredii. I got these from Colin and they all sprouted very quickly. The temps are low here at the moment, and they haven't grown any more than this in several weeks. Will moving them to the sunny side of the greenhouse help?

post-1155-1228295075_thumb.jpg

Sunny side of the greenhouse should make a big difference, John.

I germinated a few B alfredii and found that if I put them in my hot hothouse where it sat at 32C in summer and 80% humidity they did terrible, whereas the B windows form did fine. B alfredii doesn't like hot humid conditions but cooler drier subtropical conditions. B alfredii grows at about double the speed of B madagascariensis no windows form. I think B alfredii will have a thinner trunk than B madagscariensis in the end. B sp windows is a rainforest dweller and needs better soil than the other two but ends up looking like B madagascariensis in the end.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Wal, somehow I had missed that post... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Alberto, you either have mites that have sucked the juices out of the leaf tips, or you're watering too much and the roots are rotting. At this size, by the time they are solid and do not wobble at all, you can expect the entire pot to be full of roots. Bump them up to larger pots or plant them out at this time. Full sun is ok. You can see my Beccariophoenix gang here: from left to right, windows, mad., alfred

Matty,thanks!!!

I´ll follow your advice and plant the bigger seedlings at there definitive place. I think they need more sun, air movement and soil!

BTW How old is your B.alfredii ?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that I read somewhere the description (height , how long the fronds are,etc...) but cannot find it anymore.

Can somebody help me with a link.... Thanks!!!!

BTW Today planted out my first B.alfredii! :)

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 2 months later...

Dec 2 ,I cut all the sick leaves of my B.alfredii.

post-465-1235848133_thumb.jpg

Dec 24 I planted this one and since then it´s growing fast!!

post-465-1235848367_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

So I'm a bit confused. Is this thread documenting the acceptance of B. alfredii as a separate and distinct species ?  Palm Talk was a great happening in the mid 2000's.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose,

I purchased B. alfredii seedlings from Floribunda in 2008. I believe it had already been accepted using that name at the time.

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

On December 2, 2008 at 4:23:32 PM, MattyB said:

Alberto, you either have mites that have sucked the juices out of the leaf tips, or you're watering too much and the roots are rotting. At this size, by the time they are solid and do not wobble at all, you can expect the entire pot to be full of roots. Bump them up to larger pots or plant them out at this time. Full sun is ok. You can see my Beccariophoenix gang here: from left to right, windows, mad., alfred

post-126-1228253125_thumb.jpg

Matt, is it possible to get a current pix?

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 7 years later...

A "few" years later....

20230525_101833.jpg

20230525_101734.jpg

20230525_101918.jpg

20230525_101705.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

To be more accurate +- 16 years later....

Screenshot_20230527_150039_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking good! These are from my seed batch I sprouted in 2009, but they didn't go into ground until 2015. They would likely be a little further along if I had planted them sooner. They aren't connected to irrigation but I do fertilize them twice per year. The leaf form has always been slightly different, and I find the one on the right more "coconutty". 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d3a8706b1e3d918036728d27edeba94.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

29 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Looking good! These are from my seed batch I sprouted in 2009, but they didn't go into ground until 2015. They would likely be a little further along if I had planted them sooner. They aren't connected to irrigation but I do fertilize them twice per year. The leaf form has always been slightly different, and I find the one on the right more "coconutty". 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d3a8706b1e3d918036728d27edeba94.jpeg

Wow! Nice!

• Like 2