IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix sp. (High Plateaux)

Alberto

• 3 months later...

QUOTE Alberto :from Nigels thread about climate of Madagascars High Plateau.QUOTE

´´I was thinking to let one of my seedlings outside in a frosty night to see there hardiness ...but maybe it´s better to let my precious seedlings grow somewhat before there final test...´´

....I let one of my weakest seedlings (lost atached seed : mices meel...) a night at exactly 0`C with frost at the lowest place on my property ,totally exposed.

I doesn´t show any damage! If it was a D. onilahensis it was toasted now!

I´ll let the same seedling exposed this winter and see what happens with lower temps.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I have hope we can post photos of specimens like this in future:                                                                          BecPla.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

My non window form went through the freeze spotless ,window form a little burned.

From a grower's point of view I do not see the difference in what is reffered to as B. sp. no windows or B. alfredii they seem to be the same. The lowland window var. (juvinile leaves) is very different looking. I'm sure that there can be variables in different high pleau groups but what are we talking about 2 species or 3. Maybe someone can clear this up. Pictures or descriptions would be great. I have just read the article in PALMS Vol. 51 "A New Species of Beccariophoenix" What I have been growing for some time now as the B. sp. no windows is a very hardy palm for Southern Calif. so it seems to me that this may be the B. alfredii (high plateau).

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

I'm glad you chimed in with this opinion Jerry, I have shared this view. The new species Alfredii is a beautiful palm, but can it be of more value to So Cal growers than the "No Windows" variety is yet to be seen. Attached is a copy of one of my nine foot "No Windows" form that felt quite comfortable in the coldest part of my property through the great freeze. It's still a great discovery, but it will be interesting how well it fares in So Cal.

Gary

DSC_1812.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

My "no windows" (from Jerry Andersen's) also took the great freeze with not even a spot of damage... temps at least as low as 24 degrees. This is definitely one of my favorites.. and doesn't mind the inland heat or the cold a bit at all...

Here's a shot from last month... next to the Bizzie...

DSC04953.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Gary,

How old is that 9 footer??

I have a few that are 4 feet tall in 15 gallon containers.  They're slllllloooooooowwww...

Jerry,

The Alfredii seedlings seem to be more lanceolate than No Windows and they have a slight bluish/grey hue on the abaxial side.

Please,can somebody post some pic of your B.alfredii seedlings?

(JD in the OC @ Jul. 08 2007,18:33)

Gary,

How old is that 9 footer??

I have a few that are 4 feet tall in 15 gallon containers.  They're slllllloooooooowwww...

Jerry,

The Alfredii seedlings seem to be more lanceolate than No Windows and they have a slight bluish/grey hue on the abaxial side.

I planted mine from 10 gallon pots about 3.5 feet overall height exactly three years ago. I know they are super slow when young, but definately speed up when they get some size. I think they also like the really hot weather out here in Escondido. If you don't plant yours soon I'm coming over and hijacking them, I can never have enough of a good thing.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary,

So there's hope!!!

I love the coconut-look-a-likes and this one definitely takes the cake.

I'm going to keep mine in 15's until they are 6 or 7 feet tall, then plant them out.  I scooped them up from Phil's a while ago.  He says there is a guy in Escondido who has a trunking specimen that is gorgeous.

Can you picture a driveway lined with trunking No Windows?!? Someday... someday...

Here's what mine look like (I have since dug this one up and repotted)

becc 4.23.07.jpg

Not only did my no windows make it through this winters cold without any damage I actually planted it the winter before in Jan! Very tough palms. I also have a couple Beccariophoenix Alfredii in my shadehouse but their too small to note differances as yet. Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

• 10 months later...

My B.alfredii seedlings show 5 to 6 strap leaves now.

I´m curious to see how other seedlings are performing.....

My B. alfredii (a 3-leaf seedling in the ground, under open sky but mulched) did burn above the mulch-line in our freezes this past winter, the worst was 23.3F, 15 hours below freezing. Two other moderately bad freezes to about 25-27F, I think they were about 6-8 hours below freezing each. Otherwise several light frosts/freezes above 28F. The palm is now growing strongly, three new leaves and loving the hot sun! 'No windows' also burned, and in a more protected, shady spot, also above the mulch-line, but is recovering. I am noticing that Beccariophoenix do not like shade and grow very slowly in it...

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Here are a few pics of all 3 forms

the no window form or the true B. madagascariensis

post-1275-1212279151_thumb.jpg

The window form of B. madagascariensis

post-1275-1212279359_thumb.jpg

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

B.alfredii

post-1275-1212279475_thumb.jpg

All 3 are hardy for us in Brisbane

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Are there any stills of a grown-up mature palm specimen which is in discussion..just to know how it will look like or have resemblence to any known palm ? i.e a long shot of the entire palm ! :)

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 months later...

do we have an "official" verdict and names for all of these yet? I want to start purchasing and installing these in local landscapes but until I know for sure what it is I ain't about to mess w/ it.

Edited by Tala

- dave

I bought some seeds like Beccariophoenix sp., is posible to know if these palms are B. madagascariensis or alfredii?

Germinador033.jpg

Germinador032.jpg

Malaga, South Spain 'Costa del Sol'  Zone 10b

08482.gif

Show us the seed and I'll tell you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's mine. Picture taken 2 months ago. 7 months from germination.

1 gallon pot.

post-1237-1227916804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

alfredii.jpg

Here is my little B. alfredii from Floribunda. Planted out in July of this year. Gee did I post this already? :mrlooney:

Anyway it came as a 1 gallon size and so far looks good in the ground.

post-140-1228004647_thumb.jpg

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Funny, based on what we are seeing around here, Carlo's palms look more like alferdii than Pivi's. Pivi, is yours supposed to be alfredii? (Most B alfredii I have noticed seem to have a creamy yellow/white backside of the petiole)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes, mine is supposed to be alfredii.

Edited by Pivi

The seed is the determining factor. All 3 species look identical for a few years. B alfredii is an oblate seed, wheres B madagscariensis and the sp windows have identical oval looking seeds.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

these are seeds that i germinated my palm from. Is it alfredii?

post-1237-1228141041_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

these are seeds that i germinated my palm from. Is it alfredii?

Yes. They're B alfredii seed. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

• Like 1

Bill wanted me to doubt. Bill :evil:

:lol:

Thanks Tyrone!

It seems that the B. alfredii are faster in growth than the non windows form. I moved 5-5gals. from my greenhouse to full sun with almost no damage. These plants are showing alot of potential!

has anyone noticed any diff.'s between mature windows & non-windows palms? Seem to recall JD thinking they could eventually wind up being one & the same. I know there appears to be some cultural points to consider, I have the orig. mada palm, probably a yr or two away from flowering and it lost the window slits about 2 yrs ago (past roof hgt.).

- dave

has anyone noticed any diff.'s between mature windows & non-windows palms? Seem to recall JD thinking they could eventually wind up being one & the same. I know there appears to be some cultural points to consider, I have the orig. mada palm, probably a yr or two away from flowering and it lost the window slits about 2 yrs ago (past roof hgt.).

Doesn't the windows have a much heftier stem? And doesn't the no windows form have a more compact crown?

Palms are life, the rest is details.

This are mine B.alfredii ,now 2 yo. I spray my palms with Methamidophos,once or twice a month.

They show this dried up leave points. Some palms show some chlorotic leaves. What is this? RPM?

post-465-1228251760_thumb.jpg

Other shot

post-465-1228251973_thumb.jpg

Alberto, you either have mites that have sucked the juices out of the leaf tips, or you're watering too much and the roots are rotting. At this size, by the time they are solid and do not wobble at all, you can expect the entire pot to be full of roots. Bump them up to larger pots or plant them out at this time. Full sun is ok. You can see my Beccariophoenix gang here: from left to right, windows, mad., alfred

post-126-1228253125_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Tala, do you have any pics of your mada palm? It would be nice to see a visual (as Kris would say)! :) Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Hi Guys

I may be stealing John.D's thunder here, but the Beccariophoenix.sp "windows form" has

been given a name and is just waiting to be published.

P.s. Beccariophoenix madagascariensis and Beccariophoenix alfredii are Very

similar to each other, the only differences being as pointed out by Tyrone

is in the shape of the seed, and also what has been pointed out by Ron is

that they grow much faster than B.madagascariensis!.

Regards Mikey...... :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Mikey, I've noticed that the B. alfredii has a different terminal leaflet, which in the sceme of things isn't that noticeable, but it does seem to have a more lax, curved frond look than the B. mad. which seems to be quite upright, at least when young. Are you saying that when they get older they look very much alike?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Matty,

Once these beauties are mature, they sure do look the same.

Regards Mikey.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif