IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Seeds

RainForestt Robert

Every time I make a purchase from rare palm seeds my first qundary is which seeds should I purchase followed next by whether I should buy small lots or wholesale quantities.  Sometimes the wholesale price is not that much different.  As a result I end up with tons of seedlings, for which there may not be much demand.  How do you guys purchase your seeds?

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Dear Trinidad Bob  :)

you have not mentioned for what purpose_If U

are up to collect 2 to 3 palms for personal gardens

then small packs will do.(but some seeds of some

palms only fresh seeds germinate)or the germination

rate is very less(meaning less viablity).only in those

case you need to buy in bulk purchases.

if you are running a farm or a nursery then only bulk

purschase is needed.

if not what are you going to do with so much of saplings

or sprouts ?

Think about it !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I go for the sample sizes, and usually order 5 or less species at a time, always making sure I make the $30 minimum order. Two or three times a year so far. On average, I get about a dozen seeds of which 75% make it to seedling. Usually a few more will not survive infant mortality but I always end up with at least one to six of each species, depending on how easy/hard is to take care of them. I am not into retail sale, just for personal enjoyment but I'm willing to share/swap seeds or seedlings.

I think it was RPS the responsible who drugged me into this habit  :P

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Sometimes the germination rate is low.  Only one of my Dypsis leptochielos struck.  I like having about 10-12 per species around.  Trades, sale, donation, I always have something to do with "different" palms here.  I call many of my species different rather than "rare", which is essentially what they should be called here in Trinidad, where you see the same species, over and over and over ...... You get the picture

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I always buy small packets because I have no papers to import the seeds. 10 seeds usually is more then enough but at times I'm tempted to buy 100.

Trinidad! Bob, do you ever have problems buying them in packets of 100?

I'm thinking that if they are small seeds like most Dypsis then there wouldnt be much of a difference in the size of the shipping packet but what about the paperwork?

RPS is definintly responsible for my habit. They make it too easy and its to temping not to buy! Also, I dont have the option of buying them in a nursery here so if I dont grow em from seed I'll never have em.

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

RPS is also responsible for my addiction. I have usually ordered the small packets, as I don't have the space to grow 100 plants of one species at a time. I am like Frank with having the 1 to 6 per species.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

i prefer the large lots, nothing like excess!!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard