IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Caledonia Palms

bgl

I've been watching a few fronds opening up recently, and it's always a thrill so see new red fronds! (Or maybe I'm just easy to entertain... :D )

A view up into the canopy with the red new frond of a Actinokentia divaricata (palm on the left in the background is a Clinostigma samoense).

post-22-1163056288_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Kentiopsis magnifica frond Monday evening

post-22-1163056358_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The same Kentiopsis magnifica frond Tuesday evening, 24 hours later.

post-22-1163056402_thumb.jpg

And 48 hours later, Wednesday evening.

post-22-1163056448_thumb.jpg

And another Kentiopsis frond opening up just 10 feet away, but with considerably less color. This is K. piersoniorum.

post-22-1163056505_thumb.jpg

Hi Bo, that Kentiopsis magnifica is a real palm wonder. And the palm on the left in the background in your photos always seems to be a Clinostigma samoense.  :D  

fully grown

looking great

I just can't seem to get my Clinostigmas growing well. Not enough rain I'd say.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Thanks! Well, yes, with about 140 C. samoense on the property it's hard NOT to get one of them in the background! And I've become convinced that they are true rainforest palms and will only look their best under very wet conditions.

Bo-Göran

RPS is offering K. magnifica seeds again! They just updated their site. Time to place an order.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Bo, I love to see your picture, and your palms so beautiful, especially Clinostigma.

I love genus Kentiopsis, and this's my first time to see K. piersoniorum, amazing !!  more plz

Thanks

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Bo,

Very nice. I know the feeling of excitment when a new red leaf begins to open. Any shots of color on crownshafts? Show us more!  Thanks.......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(bgl @ Nov. 08 2006,23:15)

And another Kentiopsis frond opening up just 10 feet away, but with considerably less color. This is K. piersoniorum.

Bo-

My view is the Magnifica has the Piersoniorum beat WHEN its opening its red leaf.  The rest of the time, the Piersoniorum is the hands down winner for color in Kentiopsis!

Post more Piersoniorum, please.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bo, do you have any Vellonia Alba?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Play some Skinnard dude!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

FREE BIRD!!!! PLAY FREE BIRD!!

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks everyone for your comments! And Gary, yes, I do have a couple of Veillonia alba. Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera decided to quit last night, and I forgot all about that until just now, so I'm recharging them now. I may post some night shots later on this evening, or I may just wait until tomorrow, but I'll definitely add some more pics.

Bo-Göran

Matt and Christian - you have to excuse my ignorance but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!

(bgl @ Nov. 09 2006,18:01)

Matt and Christian - you have to excuse my ignorance but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!

Bo-

You're so cute....

Skinnard was actually "Lynyrd Skynyrd" a rock group of the 70's that wrote and played a rock "anthem" called "Freebird".

Very little lyrics, long guitar rifs...also known as the DJ's bathroom song because the full version is quite long and you could start playing it and have enough time to make a good stop at the bathroom!

If I remember right, they got their name from the author of a turn-of the -century Almanac in their Principals office they saw while there in high school.

I think Matt and Christian are making fun of "special requests"   :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(bgl @ Nov. 09 2006,21:01)

Thanks everyone for your comments! And Gary, yes, I do have a couple of Veillonia alba. Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera decided to quit last night, and I forgot all about that until just now, so I'm recharging them now. I may post some night shots later on this evening, or I may just wait until tomorrow, but I'll definitely add some more pics.

Bo-Göran

Bo, Whenyou get the pictures, please post the Vellonia Alba, it's one of my favorite palms

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Bo,

Are you growing any Moratia? Any pictures?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the explanation! Wasn't Lynyrd Skynyrd the group that was killed in a plane crash in the deep South (Arkansas?) many years ago? Plane crashes I remember, rock groups, well that's a different story...

Jeff.

Sorry, had a small Moratia that took a while to croak. And they are tough to replace!!

Bo-Göran

Zac,

Thanks, and I decided to answer my own question by doing the obvious: checking my database. The plane was a 30 year old Convair 240 (twin engined piston engined 50 seat plane) that crashed on 20 Oct 1977. I think I'm getting off the topic here....so, let's make a quick 180 degree turn; here's the Kentiopsis piersoniorum tonight, 24 hours later. Not that much change I guess.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1163140216_thumb.jpg

Looking at those two piersoniorum shots, there's disappointingly little change! The K. magnifica opened up real fast in comparison.

Anyway, looking up into the crown of a mature Chamberyronia macrocarpa with fruit at all different stages of maturity:

post-22-1163140429_thumb.jpg

Basselinia gracilis inflorescence

post-22-1163140486_thumb.jpg

Basselinia gracilis crownshaft

post-22-1163140532_thumb.jpg

And finally, for Gary! I have two Veillonia alba in the ground. Neither is trunking yet, but this one is probably pretty close. Tough to get a good full-view shot of this one, so here's a close-up of the base. I was thinking of cleaning it up (with the rainfall and humidity there's moss everywhere....), but it started raining so I gave up on that plan...

post-22-1163140650_thumb.jpg

And this is the other, smaller, individual. Almost a full view shot!

post-22-1163140702_thumb.jpg

Bo, Those pics are awesome! Do you have Kentiopsis Pyriformis? I just picked up a 1 gal. at Jerry's sale. Any pics ??? . Also do you have any pics of Burretiokentia Kogiensis red frond? I love your website BTW.Thanks, Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve,

Thanks! Annika (our daughter) hasn't had much time to work on our website lately, but that will soon change I hope, and we're going to add more photos.

My K. pyriformis probably look pretty much the same as yours, I'm afraid, and I have never been able to get a shot of the new red frond of a B. koghiensis frond. I have two of these and the problem is that when a new frond opens up, it is fairly high up and well hidden by the other surrounding fronds. I was just looking at a new koghiensis frond an hour ago and realized that there was no way for me to get to it. Maybe I'll try with a ladder during daytime hours...

Bo-Göran

Steve,

Was finally able to get a shot of the new B. koghiensis frond, but it's probably five days old at this point so has obviously lost some of its original color.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1163298812_thumb.jpg

A bunch of Alloschmidia glabrata are in the same general area, so got a couple of shots. Not much color though! Here's a full view of one.

post-22-1163298930_thumb.jpg

And the new frond of a Chambeyronia "hookeri" with the rays from the setting sun hitting the top of the leaflets.

post-22-1163299034_thumb.jpg

And the exact same frond taken 8 days earlier. I actually already posted this photo in the Chambeyronia thread, but for easy comparison I thought it might be of interest to post it again.

post-22-1163299139_thumb.jpg

thanks for the great photo's Bo, you go!!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Bo,

Those are great photos and plants.  They give me more reason to want to aquire plants that are hard to find around these parts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bo,

The picture of the new leaf of a Chambeyronia hookeri with the rays from the setting sun hitting the top of it is absolutely surrealist!!!

It´s like fire in the top of the forest!

Very nice picture indeed. Thanks

Regards,

Carlos

(bgl @ Nov. 11 2006,21:33)

Steve,

Was finally able to get a shot of the new B. koghiensis frond, but it's probably five days old at this point so has obviously lost some of its original color.

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo for posting that pic of the Kogiensis! I have a 5 gal. I will be planting next spring but so far no color in the new leaf. Also I have a trunking Allosmidia Glabrata in the ground but it's not nearly as fat as the ones in Hawaii. Awesome pics! Heres a pic of my wimpy Cali grown Allosmidia. Steve

post-351-1163350112_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.