IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salacca fruit/seeds

iwan

With all the recent talk about Salacca trees and fruit I thought I would post up some fruit and seed pictures from Indonesia this summer.  Salak (the local name) is one of my favorite fruits and up until a few months ago I never knew it came from a palm (thanks Sebastian, where are you anyway??).  I ate at least 5kg of the various varities during my visit.

Even though it wasn't quite in season I found fruit marketed under five different names, Bali, Pondoh, Pondoh Super, Pondoh Lumut, Gading.  To my palate (and various locals) Bali was the least flavorful.  Everyone I talked to recommended the Pondoh variety, but I found Pondoh Lumut (not sure what differntiates it from the plain Pondoh and Super) and Gading to be the most delicious.  It has been a few months now and I forget if Pondoh Lumut or Gading was the best in a side-by-side taste test, but they were very close in taste.  All varieties were consistantly different in flavor.  Costs were between $.50 and $1.00/kg with  Pondoh Lumut and Gading the most expensive.

I an not sure if all of these are the fruits of Salacca zalaca or of varoius Salacca species.  When I was in central Java I tried to search out Salacca farms, but I was told they were in the danger zone of the volcano Gunung Merapi.  When I was in Bali I did not have time to search out any farms.

Now, on to the pictures.

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Yum,

You make me very homesick. I have planted 10 seeds of the salak bali and they are all germinating nicely. Apparently, I have been told that it only takes 3-4 years for them to fruit. I can't wait!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Fruits typically contained three seeds, but sometimes two, and occasionally only one (usually on malformed fruit).

photo11.jpg

Robert

9A

Salak Gading

photo25.jpg

photo26.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the plain Pondoh fruit or seeds nor Gading seeds.  Are the taste and visual differences purely cultural or are they different species?  Any associations to botanic names are appreciated.

Robert

9A

Iwan,

I know salak bali is salacca edulis. I am not sure about the others though.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very interesting Robert, thanks for the information.

Salacca zalaccas are doing really perfect here. I bought a few seeds last year and they've all sprouted nicely with vigorous growth ever since. The subspecies of mine was not mentioned so I assume they are just the regular common form. I'd love to get some seeds of the other varieties that you mention as having the best taste too. I've never tried any Salacca fruits here in Brazil and I can't wait till mine start fruiting...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers