IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mardy Darian on KPBS

Gtlevine

I was flipping through the radio channels earlier and found public radio KBPS interviewing Mardy Darian. They will be posting photos of his garden later today for those interested in taking a look.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I'll look at my radio...sure...what time?

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

There are a few pictures up and you can listen to the interview with him.

kpbs.org/radio/programs/these_days?id=6434

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Do I have to pay for it?

:;):

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

okay guys you have to listen to this. It's pretty funny. I hope you all do your part to save the rainforest and create more oxygen for everyone!  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I know, I've heard it...he doesn't mention the $1,800 per month water bill per household to grow the rainforest. Not to mention the upgrade to infrastructure that would be required to pump that much more water (which we don't have ANYWAY)...

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Nov. 06 2006,14:45)

I know, I've heard it...he doesn't mention the $1,800 per month water bill per household to grow the rainforest. Not to mention the upgrade to infrastructure that would be required to pump that much more water (which we don't have ANYWAY)...

He doesn't mention alot of things. Like how he ripped people off and how he got his funds for his travels across the world to collect palm seed.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Ah, Dr. D.

Say what else you might, you can't fault his brilliantly one-track mind . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Nov. 06 2006,16:26)

Excellent comeback!! LOL :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 06 2006,18:41)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Nov. 06 2006,16:26)

Excellent comeback!! LOL :D

You never know, Jeff..technology moves at a brilliantly fast pace  :cool:

I think Dr. Darian was trying to make the point that if you can grow a rainforest in an arid environment like San Diego, then with conservation and replanting, the tropics can be reforested.  I don't think he was suggesting that we all try and plant our yards to the hilt and that will fix the environment.....is he?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Despite what he may have done in his life and people's feelings about that, what he has done with his garden and what he preaches, may inspire others to do good work.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Nov. 07 2006,06:46)

Despite what he may have done in his life and people's feelings about that, what he has done with his garden and what he preaches, may inspire others to do good work.

OKay I'll bite. What has he done and who is this guy. I must admit I'm not that versed in the whos who of the palm world. Until I found this board I thought I was one of the few crazys out there.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Tiki-

It really depends on who you talk with. I am a young guy and he is old, so most of my info comes from many different secondary sources, but it never seems to point in a positive direction. I have a point of view of the man I don't know if I feel like sharing on this board. I will tell you the basics that are fairly unopinionated:

-He was one of the first people to go to Madagascar to collect palms and other exotics in the late 70s/early 80s.

-He has a palm named after his discovery of it - Marojejya darianii.

-He tried to work with the Vista Botanical Garden 5 years back and parted on bad terms with the organization.

-He charges $100 for you to experience his yard.

-He is a disbarred veternarian - they fail to mention that in the lovely radio talk.

-From what I know, he is de facto banned from the IPS forever.

You are welcome to PM me for more info, but I don't like to start up conversation about this person on the board. You could say he is not very welcome in South Florida.  :cool:

P.S. - If you ever meet him, ask him what was going through his mind when he decided to show up at the 1996 biennial in Newport Beach.  :o

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I was invited to see his garden about a month ago. Here's my take away:

As to those pissed off about his charging to see his garden, his water bill is $1800 per month. The infrastructure is aged(irrigation,etc)and needs constant maintenance. I'm sure everyone and their brother wants to see it, and it probably got overwhelming. I'd probably do the same...

As for the "Rainforest" project, its purpose is to clean polluted air, which I assumed meant here in the US(and Croatia or wherever it is that Jan lives) so not sure how it will help by reforesting South America. But as long as I don't have to pay the water bill, I'm all for it.

In closing,....he seemed like a nice guy, somewhat lonely, maybe felt unappretiated for his contributions to the plant world. I'm sure he grates on some people, and is shunned for it. Eccentricity breeds lonliness and misunderstanding...my two cents after having seen it all.

In the interview, I thought it was interesting how he found his property.  After a heavy frost which killed or damaged many avocados in the Vista area, he drove around and found an area that was undamaged by the frost.

Initially I thought it was outrageous how much he charged to view his garden, until I realized, as Steve states above, the cost to maintain it.  I can understand wanting to control visitors on his private property, what with some people tempted to lift plants and collect seed without permission.  I can envision how a constant stream of strangers through one's garden could quickly become a burden.

From what I understand, naming a plant after oneself is contrary to custom, but that didn't stop him from doing so.  He is unconventional and controversial for sure.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Christian,

I thought MD was mostly a Californ-eye-A phenomenom and was mostly unknown in Florida.  I certainly know nothing about him and hear some good things and some bad things.  It seems if a person has met him, he either loves him or hates him.  Does he have a history in Florida?  PM me if you don't want to say on the board.  Tanx

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

"I can understand wanting to control visitors on his private property, what with some people tempted to lift plants and collect seed without permission."

Theft of plants is NOT so uncommon (unfortunately). As for the $100, it's really a matter of choice. I've been to Disneyland and Disneyworld. Essentially, I paid $55 to view the landscaping. The rides really don't interest me.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

"The gardens in the current plan are divided into themes: jungle, Japanese, Mediterranean, herb, prehistoric and arid. The plans also include a reception lawn, labyrinth, conservatory, education center and two man-made lakes."

I think the jungle area will be the tropical area, just alot smaller than Mardy Darian wanted.

I have never meet Mardy Darian or visited his garden. I did talk to him several times on the phone back in the late 70's after I moved to Arizona. He was nice and he was really into his plants, other than that I don't know much about him and plus the controversial issue of naming a plant after oneself.

It would have been interesting to see an 15 acre jungle garden that he would have planted. To start such a project would run into trouble, because everbody has their own idea of what the garden should be. The best way is to have your own garden and then donate it to the city when you die and they can maintain it as a public garden.

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

The response to this guy is fascinating. He is a very polarizing subject , you either for him or against. ckingfish I am intrested in more so please pm me. Where in Vista is his garden? Is it really 100$? How do you get in contact to visit? I looked it up he really does a rainforest going just beautiful. If anyone has more to add I would love to hear more.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Last I heard he charges $175.    I've been to the "front" of his place.....(I was working a block away in the gated community)

Shon, he lives just south of the 78 about halfway between Sycamore and Mar Vista exits, on top of a small hill.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I met Dr. Darian for the first time a few months back, visited his place, talked with him in person at length on a couple of different occasions about his travels and listened intently as he talked about his passion for what he does.

He speaks his mind (and some people can't handle that), and is not the type of person to do anything "halfway"...

You can't fault a person for wanting the best.

"Mediocrity is the enemy" would be a good way to sum up the way I feel Dr. Darian probably looks at life.

His garden is nothing short of phenomenal, and he has spared no expense to create it...he can (and does) work as hard as a person a third of his age (I've seen it with my own eyes...). He has probably germinated more seeds over the years than all of us put together.

He also just happened to be (as I found out after telling my wife that I had met him) the veterinarian who many years ago saved the life of my sister-in-laws dog "Jake"...who was a very important part of their family.

I like the guy.

(cfkingfish @ Nov. 07 2006,09:38)

Tiki-

It really depends on who you talk with. I am a young guy and he is old, so most of my info comes from many different secondary sources, but it never seems to point in a positive direction. I have a point of view of the man I don't know if I feel like sharing on this board. I will tell you the basics that are fairly unopinionated:

-He was one of the first people to go to Madagascar to collect palms and other exotics in the late 70s/early 80s.

-He has a palm named after his discovery of it - Marojejya darianii.

-He tried to work with the Vista Botanical Garden 5 years back and parted on bad terms with the organization.

-He charges $100 for you to experience his yard.

-He is a disbarred veternarian - they fail to mention that in the lovely radio talk.

-From what I know, he is de facto banned from the IPS forever.

You are welcome to PM me for more info, but I don't like to start up conversation about this person on the board. You could say he is not very welcome in South Florida.  :cool:

P.S. - If you ever meet him, ask him what was going through his mind when he decided to show up at the 1996 biennial in Newport Beach.  :o

I would like to know why he was banned from the IPS actually.

I've never met him, but there have been many heated discussions about this man, and to be quite honest, noone can point at anything concrete that actually condemns this man to the type of criticism he receives. People can be strange, eccentric, maybe speak there minds and upset people, but that is no reason for the absolute hatred that has at times been unleashed on the guy. If there is something absolutely terrible that this guy has done, and is provable, someone come out with it. Otherwise leave this guy alone and let him garden and potter his life away the way he wants. If he wants to charge $100 to see his garden, that is his right, and noone is forced to pay it. If a palm is named after him and he's not at a botanist etc, WHO CARES. I don't. If his ideas and business ventures etc haven't succeeded, WHO CARES, it's not a crime.

I'm sure there is a lot of good about this guy that has been overlooked.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Mardy Darian is a very interesting, energetic and opinionated person. He has also done a lot for the "Palm community" (and I'm sure for other plant societies as well). Yes, he has a big ego, and some people have a problem with that! However, as far as I know he has NOT named any palm after himself. He did discover Marojejya darianii in the wild in Madagascar in 1983 but he was not the one who gave it the name. That was done by a botanist.

As far as Mardy being banned from the IPS, that's news to me. As far as I know, nobody has been banned from the IPS. Anyone can join and remain a member.

And, as far as the "entrance fee" to see Mardy's incredible garden. I believe Mardy officially opens up his garden once a year, and if you pay $175 (or whatever) you get lunch and a garden tour.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Nov. 08 2006,11:40)

However, as far as I know he has NOT named any palm after himself. He did discover Marojejya darianii in the wild in Madagascar in 1983 but he was not the one who gave it the name. That was done by a botanist.

Well, there ya go.  When will I learn not to repeat things I've heard unless I know them to be fact.  My bad.... :o

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I never implied he had named a palm after himself, I assumed a botanist (the ones in charge of it) had done it for him. I turned two years old in 1983 so my memory was a little fuzzy.....

I said he was "de facto" banned from the IPS. Being banned officially would be "de jure". As far as I know, the last time he attended an IPS event, it did not go over too well.

I am sure the guy has a unique, eccentric personality. He is just not taken well by MANY people in the palm society.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Christian,

Not meaning to split hairs but not being invited (whether "de facto" or "de jure") as a guest speaker to an IPS event and being banned from being a participant are two very different things. And any IPS member can participate in the Biennials.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I saw him at a meeting(PSSC)at the Huntington a few years ago...he wasn't wearing any tar or feathers, so assume all was well.

I have known Marty for several years now. I actually made a visit to his garden back in the early 90's. And it did'nt cost me a cent. This was before the $100 a plate brunch, or what ever. I just "ran into him" over in Madagascar this past April of this year.  Whats the odds of that happening!!! Pete,Bill and myself had lunch with him on one day and then spent another day at Alfred's office. We all had some interesting talk about Madag. palms and different habitats that we were to visit. What I did notice is that his memory has really gotten worse. He could not recall alot of points of interest from earlier years. He has never personally did me wrong, but I have heard many of the same things that many of you have heard over the years. And I always say.....there's two sides to a coin.

And......did he really discover Marojejy darianii? ...or was it Jean Gerard? :)  What do you think?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

" And I always say.....there's two sides to a coin."

I always say there are three, his story, her story and the truth!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Grrrreat thread Guys.

Global warming or whatever  (?)  - just bring it on!!!

I have (happy unprortected plants and palms )  which are apparenntly impossible to grow here in UK hmm,: no one told me!

Regardez

Juan

Juan

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 07 2006,22:29)

Last I heard he charges $175.    I've been to the "front" of his place.....(I was working a block away in the gated community)

Shon, he lives just south of the 78 about halfway between Sycamore and Mar Vista exits, on top of a small hill.

I think some of the tall palms that you can see from the 78 are his.  I know where this place is.  My friend almost bought a home($$$) right next to his land.

(Bilbo @ Nov. 09 2006,10:02)

Grrrreat thread Guys.

Global warming or whatever  (?)  - just bring it on!!!

I have (happy unprortected plants and palms )  which are apparenntly impossible to grow here in UK hmm,: no one told me!

Regardez

Juan

You should have planted a coconut. I'm sure it will fruit for you. LOL

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.