Cycad cones and flushes

1,538 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

This second heat wave wasn’t hot enough to damage the new tender leaves on my Cycas Revoluta x cycas daeboensis. It seems to like the high temperatures. The leaves are going to be huge. 

Nice contrast with all the Encephalartos too!  Looking good Bryan!

Female cone and big flush at the same time. 

20180801_113441.jpg

20180801_113436.jpg

20180724_201608.jpg

20180724_201626.jpg

Dioon edule seedlings has the first flush since planted in my garden.

P7291093.jpg

P7291100.jpg

P7291105.jpg

just got a new flush on my Inopinus

IMG_1066-3.JPG.58ff0716760ee5584de5f01c2

Looking good Josh.

My ino flush is almost complete. 

On 8/1/2018, 5:38:05, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Female cone and big flush at the same time. 

Great color contrasts in the photo!  My Cycas thouarsii female does this same thing quite regularly with a flush pushing out of the megasporophylls.  I have to wonder if its a Cycas thing to do.  That said, I have had cones with simultaneous small flushes on Encephalartos as well.  My first E horridus cone (posted a little earlier in the flush) is now also pushing a single leaf in fact.

20180803-104A0155.jpg

Zamia push leaves with cones more often than not for me. One out of four ceratozamia will as well. This is actually the first cycas I've ever had that pushed leaves with a cone but I've mainly have Chinese cycas in the past.  I'd expect the more tropical and quicker growing south asian cycas to cone&flush simultaneously but I have a few mature aussy cycas now so we'll see how they do in the future.  I think its safe to say that dioon would be the least likely cycad genus to flush & cone at the same time.  

Another sweet varigated cycad. Macrozamia fawcettii. 

82419.jpeg

During the last heat wave my cycas cairnsiana took a beating. I originally thought it was the heat but after talking to some friends it was seems as though lack of water was to blame. After some additional waterings the cycas flushed soon after and appears to be thriving with an 8 leaf flush. 

E4B11074-9AFB-441E-8C87-EFCC28677E09.jpeg

6A4BD692-5715-4934-88B4-99DEE84B46F7.jpeg

Very nice Bryan!

On 8/9/2018, 9:29:50, 5150cycad said:

After some additional waterings the cycas flushed soon after and appears to be thriving with an 8 leaf flush. 

Major relief, both for the Cycas getting the water, and its apparent recovery for you!

Huh. . .   We had a couple good rains the last 2 weeks but I've been kinda busy.  Took a look on the Patio on Saturday and realize that my Sago had not only popped a new flush, but that the fronds were already 2 feet long.  Last time I watered (looked at it) it wasn't even hinting at a flush, I thought I was going to have a dormant summer.  

WtERMwN.jpg

15 lbs Siamese for scale...

10 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Took a look on the Patio on Saturday and realize that my Sago had not only popped a new flush, but that the fronds were already 2 feet long.  Last time I watered (looked at it) it wasn't even hinting at a flush, I thought I was going to have a dormant summer.  

Nice, very rewarding.  I'm sure you have the heat in the summer to get these to flush, the real art is how you care for it over winter.  Quite impressive, I know it must take a great deal of dedication.

Bifida flush hardened off (far left). These are very attractive cycads IMO. 

20180812_151317.jpg

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Bifida flush hardened off (far left). These are very attractive cycads IMO. 

20180812_151317.jpg

A nice selection of Cycas grouped together.

On 8/9/2018, 9:29:50, 5150cycad said:

During the last heat wave my cycas cairnsiana took a beating. I originally thought it was the heat but after talking to some friends it was seems as though lack of water was to blame. After some additional waterings the cycas flushed soon after and appears to be thriving with an 8 leaf flush. 

E4B11074-9AFB-441E-8C87-EFCC28677E09.jpeg

6A4BD692-5715-4934-88B4-99DEE84B46F7.jpeg

i love it when they do that

On 8/13/2018, 8:29:30, Tracy said:

Nice, very rewarding.  I'm sure you have the heat in the summer to get these to flush, the real art is how you care for it over winter.  Quite impressive, I know it must take a great deal of dedication.

I have found that if I maintain a reasonable winter watering schedule, the only thing I need to focus on is projecting enough light. (I'm in a mostly north-faced apartment)   I have several 4-foot shop-lights over the living room plant area, they have 4 different bulbs with 4 different frequencies (one of them is an LED tube) but no "grow lights" yet.  My big stuff (like the sago) seems to do okay.  But I think this winter I may have to just go ahead and get some red/blue LED blocks to help the little stuff maintain over those solar-lean months.

First pic male Cycas Angulata. No camera tricks on this one.  

Second dioon stevensonii brown/purple flush

20180817_095327.jpg

20180818_190008.jpg