IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

16 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Do you know if Turneri are considered rare? I do know that I don't see them for sale very often. I personally think turneri is one of the most attractive green encephalartos species.

In answer to the question about rarity, I have to agree that I don't see them too often so would tend to agree with you that at this point in time they aren't "common".  How "rare" they remain really depends on how easy/difficult they are to propagate, so perhaps we will be seeing more of them in time.  On the "one of the most attractive green Encephalartos" there are so many attractive ones, I have a difficult time ranking them.  I do find them very appealing though!  I just like all Cycads to be more accurate.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

In answer to the question about rarity, I have to agree that I don't see them too often so would tend to agree with you that at this point in time they aren't "common".  How "rare" they remain really depends on how easy/difficult they are to propagate, so perhaps we will be seeing more of them in time.  On the "one of the most attractive green Encephalartos" there are so many attractive ones, I have a difficult time ranking them.  I do find them very appealing though!  I just like all Cycads to be more accurate.

I am sure there are many different cycads I have called my favorite over the years. It seems to change all the time. Before I got into encephalartos, Cycas revoluta used to be my all time favorite cycad. That was of course before I got the encephalartos bug. 

On 7/1/2017, 9:13:51, Tracy said:

My Encephalartos turneri has flushed with the classic cupped leaflets.  I love the fuzz on the newly flushed rachis too.

20170627-104A6767.jpg

20170627-104A6768.jpg

I'm not a real big fan of the green stuff (With a few exceptions of course) but I sure like this one Tracy!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I'm not a real big fan of the green stuff (With a few exceptions of course) but I sure like this one Tracy!

Many of the green Encephalartos are just bigger than most of the blue cycads, which becomes an issue with space.  If you have a large property and space for them, even some of the more "common" species can be very attractive.  I believe this is an E altenstenii, which I could never fit in my yard like this, but looks great in the appropriate setting.

20170531-104A6613.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/26/2017, 1:10:58, 5150cycad said:

Thanks Jim. You should post some pictures of your horridus x woodii. If I recall yours just finished flushing out its first set of leaves since planting. It's cool seeing all of the different variations. 

Here you go.......Encephalartos Horridus x Woodii Hybrid

IMG_2080a.jpg

• Upvote 3

And my nat x woodii F2. Went in the ground last year. However.....still on the small side.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

And my nat x woodii F2. Went in the ground last year. However.....still on the small side.

I have been advised that you lose the potential for hybrid vigor when you back cross, but hopefully this will still be a vigorous grower for you.  Clearly the goal is not vigor as much as getting closer to the "pure" woodii look and maybe even a female cone.  Will be fun to watch it progress over time and see how it changes!  Great find Jim!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have been advised that you lose the potential for hybrid vigor when you back cross, but hopefully this will still be a vigorous grower for you.  Clearly the goal is not vigor as much as getting closer to the "pure" woodii look and maybe even a female cone.  Will be fun to watch it progress over time and see how it changes!  Great find Jim!

Once in the ground, t has flushed 3 times for me. But yes.....want to see how it progresses over time.

It was better then trying to source a pure woodii!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Here you go.......Encephalartos Horridus x Woodii Hybrid

IMG_2080a.jpg

Great looking plant. Your F2 natalensis x woodii is looking great too. Mine is not looking As good. I will post pictures tonight. I am still yet to get a normal perfect flush. Damn rabbits or squirrels. I finally moved it in hopes that all the animals leave it alone. Have to wait and see. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Great looking plant. Your F2 natalensis x woodii is looking great too. Mine is not looking As good. I will post pictures tonight. I am still yet to get a normal perfect flush. Damn rabbits or squirrels. I finally moved it in hopes that all the animals leave it alone. Have to wait and see. 

Thanks!

Not sure I remember seeing it last week......next time!

4 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Thanks!

Not sure I remember seeing it last week......next time!

Here is a picture of my F2 natalensis x woodii. Hopefully I will get a nice full flush this year. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

Here is a picture of my F2 natalensis x woodii. Hopefully I will get a nice full flush this year. 

image.jpeg

Thanks!

Not anything rare, but I certainly like the glossy look of both the mature green and the red/bronze new flush.  Ceratozamia latifolia.

20170709-104A6949.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Not many Dioons in this thread so here is a califanoi

20170712_204539.jpg

20170712_204556.jpg

Great cycad!!

• 3 weeks later...

Still small, but some interesting characteristics showing on this multi-generation hybrid.  Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons.  I love how the new flush leaflets are almost rolled back on themselves.  Given the changes this is making with each new flush, who knows what it will look like by the time it starts to push mature leaves.

20170806-104A7205.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

Still small, but some interesting characteristics showing on this multi-generation hybrid.  Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons.  I love how the new flush leaflets are almost rolled back on themselves.  Given the changes this is making with each new flush, who knows what it will look like by the time it starts to push mature leaves.

20170806-104A7205.jpg

Great looking hybrid Tracy. The new growth is definitely showing some lati characteristics. 

On 8/7/2017, 8:14:47, Tracy said:

20170806-104A7205.jpg

Very nice form!

Should be a winner in a few years.

On 7/17/2017, 11:23:50, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Not many Dioons in this thread so here is a califanoi

20170712_204539.jpg

20170712_204556.jpg

Here is one of my D. tomasellii pushing out a female cone. Not that impressive but extremely rare. 

DSC08425.jpg

DSC08358.jpg

• Upvote 2

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Most Mexico west coast Zamias seem to be lumped into Zamia paucijuga. This plant comes from the southern coastal range of Michoacan and look different then ones from Guerrero. 

DSC08400.jpg

DSC08402.jpg

Flush on an Encephalartos lehmannii. I bought these seeds as Encephalartos lehmannii "fine leaf". I really like the color and form of this cycad. 

DSC08369.jpg

DSC08431.jpg

• Upvote 2

Zamia splendens flushing in the screen house. These always put out colorful flushes and are easy to grow. Seed to cone was only about 3 years. 

DSC08538.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is a flush on an Encephalartos but Im not quite sure which species. 

DSC08498.jpg

I decided to post this M. Elegans seedling pic as i have never seen a decent pic of the color before. These are very attractive IMO and the camera captured the tan/blue leaf color well. 

20170721_132331.jpg

20170721_132321.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Cycas tropophylla x micholitzii female "cone" (megasporophylls) just got dry pollinated with Cycas bifida pollen today.  Dropped in on the center of the cone, and then tapped and blew the pollen which didn't fall down at first into the center of the megasporophylls.   Now I guess I just wait to see what happens.

20170819-104A7293.jpg

20170819-104A7294.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm amazed at how late in the year CA cycas cone. All of our cycas cones are receptive before May and seed is mature by October. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017, 4:23:09, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I'm amazed at how late in the year CA cycas cone. All of our cycas cones are receptive before May and seed is mature by October. 

Not all Cycas cone late here.  My biggest Cycas thouarsii female put out seeds earlier in the summer, and has even flushed subsequent to that.

20170903-104A7478.jpg

20170903-104A7480.jpg

22 hours ago, talkjk said:

20170910_180700.jpg

So what is the ID on this coning Encephalartos and how long have you had it to get it to this size?

Despite the fact that I was disappointed that these were male cones when they popped out, I do appreciate the color and retention of the wool on these triplet male Encephalartos arenarius x woodii cones.

20170911-LI9A7704.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 9/11/2017, 4:29:13, Tracy said:

So what is the ID on this coning Encephalartos and how long have you had it to get it to this size?

We have had it for ten years and this is the first time it has coned. Three cones and a flush all at once. ID? Not sure, I will post some close ups and perhaps someone can help with it

4 hours ago, talkjk said:

We have had it for ten years and this is the first time it has coned. Three cones and a flush all at once. ID? Not sure, I will post some close ups and perhaps someone can help with it

Looks a lot like kisambo. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

Looks a lot like kisambo. 

That was my thought based on leaf structure and form, but I'm not familiar with the cone of E kisambo.  Mine still hasn't coned.

20170903-104A7455.jpg

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

That was my thought based on leaf structure and form, but I'm not familiar with the cone of E kisambo.  Mine still hasn't coned.

20170903-104A7455.jpg

The cone looks very similar (color and shape) to cones I have seen on mature Encephalartos Kisambo. They look like female cones as well. For some reason my kisambo is one of the slowest growing cycads in my garden, maybe because of the area it is planted in. It always looks okay but doesnt seem to grow in size, plus it flushes at most once every two years. I have had it in to ground now 5 years and I think it has only flushed twice. Anyone else have this experience with this species? By the looks of your guys pictures, they look like vigorous growers. 

6 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

The cone looks very similar (color and shape) to cones I have seen on mature Encephalartos Kisambo. They look like female cones as well. For some reason my kisambo is one of the slowest growing cycads in my garden, maybe because of the area it is planted in. It always looks okay but doesnt seem to grow in size, plus it flushes at most once every two years. I have had it in to ground now 5 years and I think it has only flushed twice. Anyone else have this experience with this species? By the looks of your guys pictures, they look like vigorous growers.

Agree on the cone looking female.  Relative to growth, this was a solid 15 gallon when I put it in the ground.  I need to go back and check, but I think it was 2010 or 2011, after I planted my E transvenosis  and E munchii in the same planter.  Relatively speaking the transvenosis and munchii have outgrown the Encephalartos kisambo.  It's normally a flush per year, but it has definitely skipped a year once or twice since planting.  So it hasn't been a stellar grower, even though it always looks good.  I do have to say that where I planted it, was always a problem spot for me.  I lost a Rhopalostylis sapida there, put a triple Kentia in the spot, only to have one trunk die (removed the other two and moved them to a pot and later to Leucadia, but only one trunk still lives), and had a Queen there which I pulled out from the original planting.  So other than the Queen palm, it's done the best in the spot.

On 9/13/2017, 7:54:34, Tracy said:

Agree on the cone looking female.  Relative to growth, this was a solid 15 gallon when I put it in the ground.  I need to go back and check, but I think it was 2010 or 2011, after I planted my E transvenosis  and E munchii in the same planter.  Relatively speaking the transvenosis and munchii have outgrown the Encephalartos kisambo.  It's normally a flush per year, but it has definitely skipped a year once or twice since planting.  So it hasn't been a stellar grower, even though it always looks good.  I do have to say that where I planted it, was always a problem spot for me.  I lost a Rhopalostylis sapida there, put a triple Kentia in the spot, only to have one trunk die (removed the other two and moved them to a pot and later to Leucadia, but only one trunk still lives), and had a Queen there which I pulled out from the original planting.  So other than the Queen palm, it's done the best in the spot.

It looks like my female Kisambo based on the cone and habit/leaf shape. Mine is coning right now for the first time.  It has been in the ground maybe six or seven years.  This is a photo from a couple of weeks ago.  I think the cone has actually become more massive.  I should take another photo soon.  We have been dealing with pickup from Irma and have been working for the last week non-stop.  Maybe two since we prepared for almost a week.

DSC_1954.JPG

Edited by annafl
  • Upvote 1

The pup on my Encephalartos horridus x woodii flushed and the leaf detail is so interesting looking I had to share it.

20170920-104A7548.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice brown horridus flush and a very purple lehmanii flush. Colorwise this is by far the nicest lehmanii that i have, or have ever seen.  The older leaves are from earlier this year and still hold amazing color. 

20171007_142839.jpg

20171007_142911.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1