IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

One of the things I look forward to this time of year is the new flushes of growth and cones from my Cycads. It is so amazing to see the lettuce soft new growth emerge from such a spikey formidable plant. I've been REAL into Cycads lately and many of the seedlings I just recently purchased are starting to flush as well. So lets see what Cycads are flushing or coning for you. Sorry about the lighting on my pics but we had the heavy duty May gray socked in today. Here is my Lepidozamia Hopei with a 2 leaf mini flush.

Stevo

post-351-1241917078_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Here is my Cycas Cairnsiana. When I bought it many years ago the "experts" said that you can't grow that here because it will rot. I guess they forgot to tell the Cycad :) .

post-351-1241917379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Cycas Cairnsiana new flush.

post-351-1241917485_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my E. Kisambo that I bought as a tiny seedling. It now boast a beach ball size caudex and fronds over 8 ft. long. This is the first year that it has coned. So far I can see the tops of 3 cones emerging. Would you say it's a male?

post-351-1241917816_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

E. Kisambo cone detail.

post-351-1241917913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Encephalartos Kisambo canopy :blink::drool: .

post-351-1241918016_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a Ceratozamia that was given to me many moons ago. Is this a Mexicana, Robusta or? The new flush is lime green.

post-351-1241918204_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the cone.

post-351-1241918398_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Encephalartos Trispinosus.

post-351-1241918529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tri just begining to flush.

post-351-1241918634_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Encephalartos Princeps.

post-351-1241918731_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

E. Princeps new flush. I love this one! When they first emerge with the brown fuzz they look like rabbits foots. I counted at least 12 fronds and 2 rows :drool::drool: .

post-351-1241918941_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Another angle.

Try again. Another angle.

post-351-1241919091_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's too bad it was so overcast because this Horridus is sky blue!

post-351-1241919299_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Also hard to tell from this pic but the new flush has shades of lavender.

post-351-1241919406_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Encephalartos Villosus.

post-351-1241919777_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cycas Thouarsii.

post-351-1241919941_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Last but not least another E. Horridus :drool: . I know my Cycads are'nt the only ones flushing and coning. Lets see wat ya got. Hope you enjoyed!

Stevo

post-351-1241920234_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Fantastic stuff Steve!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Fantastic stuff Steve!

Thanks Bill, Out of all those plants you got you have to have something throwing :hmm: Lets see it :drool: .

Stevo

Awesome Steve. Princeps isnext on my list.

Thanks Shon, Yeah, Princeps is one of my favs as well. I just bought 3 more :)

Stevo

Steve, that is one of the nicer Cycas in my opinion. I have always asked about it and many tell me not to waste my time if I plan on planting it in the ground. Pots are fine. Their argument was "name a garden they are growing in. The plant has been around a long time but no one has mature ones in the ground". So I always held off. Then a few weeks ago I saw Randy Moore had like 6 in the ground. Some so blue it looked fake. He is further inland and gets hot, which I guess they need in the ground. Looking at yours makes me want to try.

Your cycads are flushing earlier then mine. I have a few starting, like my Microcycas calocoma which I was stoked on.

Here is my Cycas Cairnsiana. When I bought it many years ago the "experts" said that you can't grow that here because it will rot. I guess they forgot to tell the Cycad :) .

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Steve, that is one of the nicer Cycas in my opinion. I have always asked about it and many tell me not to waste my time if I plan on planting it in the ground. Pots are fine. Their argument was "name a garden they are growing in. The plant has been around a long time but no one has mature ones in the ground". So I always held off. Then a few weeks ago I saw Randy Moore had like 6 in the ground. Some so blue it looked fake. He is further inland and gets hot, which I guess they need in the ground. Looking at yours makes me want to try.

Your cycads are flushing earlier then mine. I have a few starting, like my Microcycas calocoma which I was stoked on.

Len, I agree. A new flush in the middle of summer is so blue it rivals my Horridus and the leaves and petioles have a very waxy feel to them.

Microcycas Calocoma, Theres one you don't see every day. I would be stoked to! Any pics :hmm:

Stevo

I almost forgot My E. Lehmanii just started to throw too.

post-351-1241928907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Close up.

post-351-1241929002_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet Cycads Steve. I'll get some shots tomorrow morn. The funny thing is the warm weather we had mid winter sent a bunch of mine flushing, only to get scorched or stunted by the cold before they hardened off. One of my C. taitungensis aborted a flush, but has since pushed out an entirely new flush.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I will get one tomorrow or the next day and post it. :)

Len, I agree. A new flush in the middle of summer is so blue it rivals my Horridus and the leaves and petioles have a very waxy feel to them.

Microcycas Calocoma, Theres one you don't see every day. I would be stoked to! Any pics :hmm:

Stevo

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Fantastic stuff Steve!

Thanks Bill, Out of all those plants you got you have to have something throwing :hmm: Lets see it :drool: .

Stevo

No heat here except upstairs in the addition, so up there I see a new leaf starting on the macdonnelii, and the microcycas is doing a little flush, but I see those are a dime a dozen, so....

Anyway, my computer is broken and won't download pics currently...we'll see when I get around to getting it fixed. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Steve :)

Beautiful collection of mindblowing cycas...thanks for those lovely stills !

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

OK, here is a few of mine. Not too many flushing right now, mainly seedlings. My cycad collection is very young.

Encephalartos lehmanii

003-2.jpg

lehmanii flushes are a cool bronz color

004-2.jpg

Encephalartos lanatus

011.jpg

just poking out

012.jpg

• Upvote 3

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

E. longifolius blue (a hybrid of some sorts) This is one that flushed in January. You can see the three stunted leaves hardening off in the center :(

015.jpg

Cycas taitungensis just hardening off. This is a cycad that had not flushed in two years after transplant :)

017.jpg

E. natalensis X horridus just starting to harden off with some sun burn

018.jpg

Cycas ophiolitica

022.jpg

• Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

E. aemulens just hardening off.

023.jpg

E. longifolius Jubertina form. Another that started flushing in Jan, the last leave to push was torched by frost and I removed it.

001-2.jpg

C. taitungensis hardening off and allready showing signs that they are getting ready to flush again :) These will flush three to four times a year.

025.jpg

• Upvote 3

Matt in Temecula, CA

A couple of cool hybrid seedlings,

Encephalartos chimanimaniensis X munchii X munchii

024.jpg

Cycas revoluta X debaoensis. I have three of these germinated from seed and they are flushing like crazy and just starting to show some forked character leaves.

006-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Great photos! My Florida coontie seeds I got from a Holiday Inn are germinating out on my back patio, thanks to a good stretch of 90 degree days. I'll be planting some of them in the woods throughout the state.

• Upvote 1

Jay

Tallahassee, FL USDA Zone 8b

Elevation: 150 ft.

Dear Matt :)

Iam speachless seeing your collection...of cycads ! :greenthumb: It seems you have collected all the avaliable best plants for your garden...Very nice. :)

Thanks for posting all your stills in big size.

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

They wont be if left with some growers, so....

and the microcycas is doing a little flush, but I see those are a dime a dozen, so....

Anyway, my computer is broken and won't download pics currently...we'll see when I get around to getting it fixed. :(

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

They wont be if left at the death camp, so....

No heat here except upstairs in the addition, so up there I see a new leaf starting on the macdonnelii, and the microcycas is doing a little flush, but I see those are a dime a dozen, so....

I'll have you know I weeded half of my cycads last week, well, a large portion, ok more than 10.

Matt, nice collection!