IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Horse manure

Tyrone

I've been using horse manure for a while with good results, but when speaking to others they say there is very little in it. Who's using it and what do people think of it compared to chicken, sheep and cow manures for example. As I live on deep sandy soils with nothing in them, I'm always looking at ways to keep the soil built up and alive.

So what do you reckon, horse manure is good or bad and why?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've used horse manure for years with no bad effects.

Others have said it releases more nitrogen that other manures which is good for palms.

So when you are on a good thing stick to it.

Regards

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

I began my main palm garden area using horse manure and sugar can mulch. The results were a huge thumbs up. A couple of years after I switched to sheep manure. The downside to using horse manure though is that you may get various weed seeds depending on whether the collection from "trigger" and "silver" was from the stable or the paddock.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I did a comparison years ago, between potting soil and horse stable compost. There was a large horse track close by and you could get all the manure compost you wanted for the cost of trucking it. It was made up from quite a bit of sawdust as well as manure and the racetrack swore it was composted for a year. I doubt that though. The compost always produced smaller and yellower plants as the compost used up a good bit of the fert in its further composting.

I don't know how much (if any) sawdust is in your manure but in any case your manure must be composted completely or will rob nitrogen from the soil. If you have pure sand, any composted manure at all will be an improvement so use what you got.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

There is nothing wrong with horse manure. It actually will give your plants more nitrogen if its fresh. Sawdust will lock up the nitrogen for a while. Chicken manure is the most fertile manure.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

Use elephant dung for Borassus, they love it! :drool:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Manure, it's all good. Actually, as far as manure goes, I hear Horse Manure is among the best. Cow manure has too many weed seeds, and chicken poop is too hot and may burn. Now, things in the manure, like sawdust changes the metric. It is always best, no matter what the manure, to compost it before using which allows the tempering of the good and the bad.

I can tell you that my mother-in-law uses manures in her beds as opposed to commercial fertilizers, and they are always fabulous.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I really don't know if I could sleep in a bed with manure in it.... :mrlooney:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Tyrone,

When I first planted my garden 30 years ago, I faithfully sought out "Stable Litter" (as it was called then) to topdress my garden. I never had a problem with it. The stables I got it would throw down redwood shavings below the horses and scoop this up every day or two. The stables didn't really know what to do with it, so it was near free to obtain. I'd try to obtain more aged material when possible. I'd apply about a 2 inch layers throughout the garden. If it appeared to be too fresh, I'd supplement it with some slow release fertilzier or blood meal thrown down with the stable litter. Over three to six months it would break down and go into the soil. Then I'd do it again. If the litter had too much staw in it, it might look a bit shabby. But, that too would break down. Jim Wright and other San Diego growers did the same thing with stable litter in thier gardens. But as the urbran sprawled away from us, it got harder to obtain so I went with straight nitrolized fir shavings. Some soil companies use a bit of chicken manure in their soil preparations. Steer is typically to strong.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads