Coconut palms for sale at Lowe's in Austin, TX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J.O.A.

J.O.A.

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yesterday I visited two Lowe's (in Austin, TX) and they were selling coconuts palms.  That's fine, they won't live outside here but what really got me was what was written on the tag for the palms.  It said they were hardy in zones 8 and 9.  I couldn't believe this, how could this palm vendor not know the climate requirements for coconut palms? Maybe they're just trying to make a quick buck or have developed a new variety of cold hardy coconut palm. ???

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Tim M

Tim M

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

It's the same wholesaler from the Valley who sends non-hardy citrus to Austin as well.  Their zone recommendations are overly generous to say the least.  Good for those who know better than the tags and want to try portable containers for non-hardy goodies.  Bad for those who trust the tags and stare at their their brown palm through the winter thinking it might recover next spring.   ???
Tim
Austin, TX
Zone 8 (Hotter than most, but not as hot as some.  Colder than many, but not as cold as others).   :D

#3 BobbyinNY

BobbyinNY

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

Ikea sells coconut palms here too....... but at least they have the decency of labeling it "Houseplant"
Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS
Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night
Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night
Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

#4 syersj

syersj

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

You need to be in the valley or possibly Corpus or Galveston to even try coconuts.  And even then, no gaurenteed success.  Although I have seen pics of fairly large ones in the valley.  Stick with Queen palms for your "marginal" palm for Austin.  At least they will make it a good number of years.  Cocos, no chance unless you are going to construct with some type dome over it like BobbyinNY is doing.
Jim
New Braunfels/San Antonio, TX
Zone 9a-ish
Lows last 9 winters (F): 25, 27, 24, 23, 24, 26, 28, 16, 19 so far this year (10/11).

#5 Tad

Tad

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:29 AM

its green valley growers from willis texas . not from the valley, from north of houston!!!!
they are big time in with lowes, so please try not to blame us (whosalers in the rgv) for another company's shenanigans.
Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.
Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users