IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS June 13th Meeting

Bob Johnson

CFPACS returns to Tampa on June 13th. We will begin at the garden of the late Dr. U. A. Young. Dr. Young’s

garden is one of the great private palm and cycad collections in Florida with many specimens dating back to the

1960’s. Dr. Young’s son Brad will serve as our tour guide. Brad has been tending the garden and working with

the cycads over the past year, producing good seed from several rare species. The noteworthy palm and cycad

specimens in the garden are too numerous to mention. This is an opportunity to see many mature palms and

cycads that have survived long term in central Florida.

In the afternoon we will visit Dorothy Kellog’s garden. Dorothy’s garden is on 2-plus acres and includes many

aroids and bromeliads in addition to palms and cycads. Dorothy began collecting plants in the 1960’s and her

garden has been through a fire and several freezes. In addition to the surviving mature palms and cycads there

are many new species planted in the last few years.

You will want to take advantage of this opportunity to see these two gardens - it is definitely worth the trip from

out of the area.

Schedule:

10 am - 12 noon: Garden of Dr. U. A. Young - 505 Royal Palm Way, Tampa, FL 33609

12 noon - 1:15 pm: lunch (on your own)

1:15 - 3 pm: Garden of Dorothy Kellog - 18705 Jiretz Rd., Odessa, FL 33556

There will be a plant sale at Dorothy Kellog’s (no auction)

Members and non-members are welcome!

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Looks like a great meeting but I won't be able to attend. Coincidentally I am teaching "Palms for Central Florida" class at Leu Gardens that same morning.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I look forward to these 2 tours. I saw Dr Youngs garden years ago and can not wait to see it again. I also look forward to seeing Dorothy Kellogs garden as it is just up the road from me and I knew nothing of it.

Crap, the meeting is practically coming to me I have a graduation ceremony that day that I can't get out of.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

• 2 weeks later...

I'll attend for you Brian :winkie:

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

We will miss those of you that cannot make it. I know that it is a busy time with school out, graduations, summer travels, etc. Hope to catch you next time around.

In addition to seeing two awesome gardens, we will have a plant sale at our second stop. I have posted a partial listing of what will be available for sale here.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Wow! Odessa is so close to me, perhaps 25 mins. Can anyone attend? I would like to visit Kellogg's as the morning is booked. Great chance to buy a few palms. Greg in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Wow! Odessa is so close to me, perhaps 25 mins. Can anyone attend? I would like to visit Kellogg's as the morning is booked. Great chance to buy a few palms. Greg in New Port Richey

Yes, Greg you are welcome to attend - our meetings are open to all, membership is not required. Hope to meet you on Saturday!

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

I will post some pics over the next few days as I have time.

Here is a view of Dr. Young's from the street. Brahea, Borassus, Encephalartos and much more:

post-739-1244569142_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Another view . . . so many palms and cycads (not to mention the aroids dripping from the trees) . . . absolutely stunning!

post-739-1244570900_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Jubaeopsis caffra surrounded by Ceratozamia, Chamaedorea and Caryota.

post-739-1244571263_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

awesome! I think I might make the trip this saturday! :drool:

It would be great to see you at the meeting, Luke. There is also plenty more to see in the area (Kopsick Palm Arboretum) should you want to make a longer trip out of it.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Now for a few of Dorothy Kellog's palms. An old Attalea, a little tattered from the winter, but still standing tall.

post-739-1244742081_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

This Old Man Palm (Coccothrinax crinita) was recently moved from another spot on the property, hence the less than full crown. At thiis size it really reminds me of "Cousin It" from The Adams Family.

post-739-1244742638_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Not one for tree huggers, Acrocomia aculeata is to be admred by the eyes only. Those aren't palm seedlings sprouting up around it, but Palm Grass (Curculigo capitulata).

post-739-1244742917_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

One of the tallest Everglades palms (Acoelorraphe wrightii) that I have seen.

post-739-1244743514_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Now back to Dr. Young's. A new flush on a green emergent Ceratozamia 'robusta type' in the midst of a jungle of other cycads and palms.

post-739-1244746354_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Thanks for the photos Bob and the great job you are doing in leading CFPACS!

See ya'll tomorrow...

Thanks, Dave. It was good to see you and a good contingent from the east coast make the trek over to Tampa for the meeting.

Thanks for posting the link to your travelogue on your 2nd Light forum. Lots of great pics. It looks like you had a memorable trip, finishing your day off with some time on the water. I bet that felt great after a good - but hot - day among the palms and palm folks!

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

This was a great meeting! CFPACS members and guests came from throughout central Florida, several from as far away as Gainesville and the east coast. There were about 50 to start with at Dr. Youngs. At Dorothy Kellog's we counted 40 cars and at least 65 persons. Knowing that there were some that made it to only one stop, there were at least 70 persons in attendance through the day. The sale at Dorothy's was one of the best meeting sales that CFPACS has had in recent years.

Thank you to Brad Young and Dorothy Kellog for your hospitality! Also, thanks to all of the growers who participated in the sale.

Part of the group at the start of the day at Dr. Young's. Brad Young is on the far left addressing the crowd.

post-739-1245276691_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

I don't remember what the specific objects of interest were overhead. Many of the palms are so old and tall that you have to look quite a ways up to see the fronds, flowers and fruits.

The guy in the middle wearing the bright green ball cap is former CFPACS president (mid 1990s) and seed bank coordinator Mike Dahme.

post-739-1245277385_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Dr. Young's garden is a living laboratory of what will survive in central Florida in the long term. Most of the garden pre-dates the 1989 freeze. There is only one crownshaft palm on the entire property, this Piccabean palm (Archontophoienix cunninghamiana). Brian Warner is holding it up with one hand and waving at me "here I am" to make sure that I take a picture of the correct palm.

post-739-1245277951_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Randal Knight (Director of Horticulture at the Albin Polasek Museum in Winter Park) admires a massive Chamaedorea clump.

post-739-1245278544_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Spectacular new flush on a Ceratozamia species. This is an undescribed species named after a locality, I don't remember which one.

post-739-1245278810_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

. There is only one crownshaft palm on the entire property, this Piccabean palm (Archontophoienix cunninghamiana).

I find that amazing!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So much to gawk at . . . those twin palms right behind the group are an Attalea species. There are several Attalea species planted throughout the property.

post-739-1245279585_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Another Attalea. Most of the various Attalea are planted on the outskirts of the property.

post-739-1245279837_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

However, when you run out of room, its nice to have an adjacent park where you can spread the love. Yet another Attalea, this one planted in the park across the street from the Young property.

post-739-1245280027_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

. There is only one crownshaft palm on the entire property, this Piccabean palm (Archontophoienix cunninghamiana).

I find that amazing!

I believe that many had been tried there over the years, but 1989 wiped out most of them. Brad told me that his dad tried many tropical palms there and got tired of them being wiped out in freezes - one reason that there are so many cycads on the property, the cycads would come back from the freezes much more readily than the tropical palms would.

Across the bay in St. Petersburg there are some very favorable microclimates (such as the Kopsick Palm Arboretum) where more tropical palms are planted.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Speaking of more tropical palms, Rob Branch and Rick Nale check out this Borassodendron machadonis planted in the pool area.

post-739-1245280652_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Now here's something that you don't see every day. Off of the pool there is an atrium where this double coconut (Lodoicea maldivica) is planted.

post-739-1245281105_thumb.jpg

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA