IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amazon Post Biennial Photos4

edbrown_3

see pst  I am not sure which species this is perhaps

S. petraea but leaves dont look like photos

Best regards,

Ed

post-259-1162744080_thumb.jpg

Edwin Brown III

Ed,

Did the tree look like this at all? This is a Syagrus cocoides.

Piirema1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Ed,

Where did your trip go up the Negro River?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

I will try to get coordinates We went up the Rio negro, Rio Branco and a few tributaries. I'll be honest , it was a tour so I       was nt paying much attention to the maps just looking at the trees.

The tree you posted ,   looks like what Henderson was describing as S. inajai...   but it also looks like foliage of what I posted. We saw about 20 trees spread over several acares in sandy ( capinga ? soil  ) .   Not one of them had trunks tho. The foliage looked didnt look like

S. petraea tho. I should have brought the books but was afraid to on a trip and hike through rainforest etc.

Best wishes,

Ed

We were in the area for S. cococoides, S. inajai and S. petraea.

Edwin Brown III

Ed,

The S. cococoides has little coconut looking fruits as in the picture.  It is also slender and small.  The S. inajai, which there are a lot of around Manaus, is much bigger and his different fruits.  The sandy areas, campina, are spread around the area and are pretty interesting.  

I think that we are going to go up the right side of the Negro River about a third of the way you went to visit mywife's father in the coming weeks.  The river is low now and the fishing should be pretty good.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great Amazonian pics guys; I havnt a clue as to those species but they sure look very interesting.

I have an oil pic from the DR which conveys that sort of atmosphere very well.

Pleased to see that none of you guys fell overboard and get that once in a lifetime Piranha experience!

Welcome back.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Bilbo,

Please post the pic if you can...

Don ,

It didnt see any fruits I collected flowers but lost them at ag inspection.

it might be good if you have time to walk up in one of the Capinas areas adn see.  I will try and get some GPS coordinates as one of the Puerto Ricans on the trip was religiously collecting these.

Best wishes,

Ed

Edwin Brown III

Ed,

There is an area on the road to Itacoatiara that I go through all the time.  But, I have never got out of the car at that spot.  I might stop one of these days and look around.  There is also one on the road north of here around 100 kms from here, that is off the highway though.

Juan,

The piranha's are not a problem, I jump in the water all the time.  But, I do try to stay in areas where the black Caiman populations are not too great.  The other real threat are sting rays, especially this time of year when the water is low.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg