IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palms

Alicehunter2000

Does any one have queen palms planted at an angle to give them a more beach coco-nutty look. You know what I am talking about that curved up toward the sun look. If so could you post pictures. I am debating doing this with some next summer, but the only queens I see are planted straight up and down. Does anyone do this with other types of palms.....pictures please.

Thanks,

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

These are the only pitures that I can conjure up at the moment. In order to get a nice curve in a Queen, you have to start with one that's already got at least a few feet of woody trunk. Otherwise you'll only get a quick little curve at the bottom of the trunk. Slated queens tend to "correct" themselves fast and you may end up with a abrupt curve. King palms work a little better and more gradually.

march2006053.jpg

nov-4.jpg

nov-3.jpg

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I think Jim's right about the abrupt change in growing direction.  You'll end up with a dog leg instead of a nice gradual curve.  You need to start with a large palm, grow it in a box and put a brick under one side for several months.  Then add a few more bricks slowly leaning the palm over, over a few years of growth.  Then you'll end up with a curved trunk palm.  I've thought about this a bit and plan on trying it someday.  Also, I think you can plant it in the ground and dig one side out and lean it over.  Do that a couple of times over a few years and you'll get a curve also.  Set backs are possible with digging and breaking roots though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Jim in Los Altos @ Nov. 05 2006,00:03)

In order to get a nice curve in a Queen, you have to start with one that's already got at least a few feet of woody trunk. Otherwise you'll only get a quick little curve at the bottom of the trunk.

I will vouch for this comment.

I have tried to grow some curved Queens from 3 gallon palms and they correct themselves within weeks!   I was having to adjust the lines pulling the palms in the desired directions literally every few weeks.

I eventually gave up and let the palms go as Ma Nature desired.

I have seen some other Queens with curved trunks (many times after getting blown over severely and literally lying on the ground) and they will correct so severely that the curves is too abrupt for my tastes.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Wow, very interesting. Something I thought was simple is not that simple. I thought I would just plant them at an angle and I would get a nice coconut looking curve......guess not. I think the idea of leaving them in a pot and placing bricks every few weeks might be the best idea to try and get that desired look. Thanks for the advice.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

To get the curves, I have heard that people just lay them flat on the ground.  There is a house in my area that has a nicely curved queen.  I'll see if I can get a picture.

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

I reccommend digging one side (During Rainy Season...or after watering a tremendous amount)  then pull the palm over to the desired position.  Stake/brace the palm into position.  This allows the palm to still feed with half the roots.  I have done this for customers who plant palms under their roof line.

AH200:

In January of 1999 I planted three queen palms as an ensemble. All three palms were about 8 feet high overall, with no trunk. I planted them on 45 degree angles, opposed from each other. Within weeks they started to grow vertical again. There's a term for this (that plants want to grow vertically or towards the sun)  but I can't remember the word.

In September of 2004, Hurricane Jean partially blew over a double queen palm I have in my front yard. Being close to the house, I couldn't get my truck or winch, etc. in a good position to try and pull the palms back to vertical, so I left them as is (note the canopy mostly hanging to the left in below photo):

194150631UxSmDH_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Here are the double queen palms as of today. Note that the trunks are starting to recurve back to vertical and the crown (fronds) are no longer hanging to the left. Also, the trunks near the top are starting to get bigger in diameter:

2822062740042496162sFYgrS_th.jpg

by waltcat100

I figure in a few years the trunks will have a more abrupt/acute turn, instead of a nice long sweep.

Mad about palms

This is my neighbor from across the street. He planted these two years ago and they have not grown much , but then again I have not seen him out there feeding them either. They all started with several feet of wood planted at around a 45 degree angle. They looked completely out of place. Now looking back they should have been on about a 10 degree angle to get the curve he wanted.

100_1201.jpg

100_1198-1.jpg

100_1199.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

This 4 queens growing very close were field dug when very young palms. My brother in law planted them at his ´´centro comercial´´.

They grew up and show  beautifull curved trunks....

post-465-1163030605_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Another pic:

post-465-1163030789_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hey Tiki

WOW... those things really do "right" themselves extremely quickly.... That's the sharpest bend I've seen.. I thought it would've been more gradual.. that's really interesting. I guess the best way to get a bend in them would be to place them strategically so that the sun angle causes the bend... Oohhh wait.. maybe you can even brace it like you do to straighten kids teeth out.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Folks, plant them just as Alberto showed and they will form that nice gradual curve. I have seen them planted in groups and they curve away from eachother, but not as dramitically as other species.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Planting angled Queens sounds real fine to me!

Unlike some other Genera they dont really need that much space.

Regardez

Jon

Juan