IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bamboo - When is the best time to divide and transplant clumping

_Keith

I have an Alphonse Karr planted too close to my property line, so I need to dig it up and transplant it further back onto my property. At the bottom it is about 2 feet in diameter so I want to divide it as well to make some new plants.

First question, when is the best time of year to do this?

Second, how many sections? I was thinking four nice sized sections, but these things are expensive, so the more the merrier as long as I don't set it back to far recovery wise.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Bumbusa multiplex 'Alphones Karr' normally shoots in the fall (Septembner,October). As you know it is a clumping bamboo. You could break it up now, but any shooting it may do will be stunted as now is the time it is building strength for the fall.

If it were me (but I live in a different part of the country) and I felt it must be moved before the shooting, I would do it now (probably should have been done in February or so) in order for the expansion of the clump to be problematic if it crossed the fenceline.

You said that it is too close but not how far it was from the fence.

If you want to move it, dig up the entire clump (it will be heavy) and try to find 'cracks' in the rootball in order to determine the divisions. Never let the roots dry out and pot up your divisiions ASAP. Lots of water over the next few days and hope for the best. I do not think you will have any die, but recovefry may be a year or so, even if you are doing it at the correct time.

Good luck!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Keith,

look into trench layering. you can get about 20 plants from growth from the nodes on one cane.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticul...ting%20Clumping

culm cuttings are an option as well. I am going to try propogating one way or another with regular B multiplex at my mothers house.

I want to get some more exotic types of B. multiplex like alphonse karr and 'silvestripe' keep me updated on your progress.

My black P. nigra shot up 3 new culms after just 1 year in the ground.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I don't really understand what they're saying to do in that propagation link.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Alphonse Karr is not a good candidate for trench propagation, but is very easily done by root divisions. Do it now before new culms start emerging. (This won't affect the success of the divisions, but you'll lose less culms, as any new ones would most likely die off.) Dig it up and just slice through it with a reciprocating saw (not a cordless) with a toothy blade, then pot up each division so the roots don't dry out and water them well. A loose organic mix with lots of pine bark works well. Make the divisions as large or as small as you'd like, but keeping at least a few culms in each will almost guarantee success and subsequent vigor. This method has worked well for me for 20 years. Keith, do you have a photo of the clump?

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

I got my Alphonse Karr a few years ago as a division off a friend's plants. We did this in late winter/early spring, taking a 2 or 3 culm piece (it was difficult to get a larger piece). The 1st year we had 2 new culms come up. The next year we had about 25, last year nearly twice that. This will be its 4th summer and it is about 4' in diameter. Here in Florida it adds new culms starting in spring and continues until it cools off.

david

• 3 years later...

Whatever happened to your alphonse karr bamboo Keith ? Did the transplant and propagation work out ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.