IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Makes Attraction History

KMartin

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway closed due to a weather forecast before-hand, which ended up in helping 1000 people from being stranded.

I issued a High Wind Watch for the tram three days before the event. The event would be a high wind event, in which I did expect very strong winds hitting the area Tuesday evening into the night.

24 hours before the event, I issued a Hurricane Wind Speed Warning. This warning states that wind speeds of 74 mph or higher will be possible at anytime during the event time-line.

I spoke with tram officials about this impending weather forecast event. They asked me how sure I was and I said 100%. In fact I said "If I am wrong, fire me"

Being their weather guy, I had a lot on my plate to think about. I told them I was 100% sure of it and gave them a window of 5pm to 7pm for the winds to hit. They made the call to close the tramway at 6pm, with the last car up at 5pm and the last car down at 6pm.

This call was the first call in the history of the tram that a weatherman's word shutdown the entire attraction for safety reasons ahead of time, with a window for the event.

Well they shutdown and at 6:11pm a 69 mph wind gust was recorded at mountain station. In fact, tower 3 recorded 75 mph sustained winds around 7-8pm Tuesday night 4/14/09, and higher gusts. This verified the wind warning issued by the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Weather Center.

I visited the tram the following day at 10am. I heard about the gusts on tower 3 and they concluded it was my warning that saved around 1000 people from being stranded.

I was put into service to forecast for the tramway on April 4, 2009. 10 days later, I add a piece of history for them. Safety, and help save the people of the tramway ...

I do hope to continue helping the people that ride the wonderful attraction, and hope the public, and news reporters realize what a step it is and accomplishment for the tramway to have a meteorologist work for them that helped save people from being stranded on April 14, 2009.

-----------------

Thought I'd share my first month on the job.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Wow. That's some great bragging rights. Congrats.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It was the most nervous time of my life. I was so sure that I gave them that small window to get more business in before the winds hit and get those people down. I gave them a 100% assurance and got off the phone. They called back and announced the closing due to this forecast for 6pm and I got off the phone with them.

Everyone was off safe, and no one was stranded. If they were not off, they wouldn't have come down that night ...

Stress was relieved when the winds hit hard and everyone was safe.

Kevin

--------------------

Great job Kevin. The way I see it, you should be the one that has the switch in your hand if they expect you to give them your professional opinion. If you say 5-7, then shut it down 5-7. Imagine if you had second guessed yourself and people had been stranded or worse yet, died. Again, nice call.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

good reading.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great story, Kevin & speaks well of your forecasting ability B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Thanks. Sorry Happ I haven't been around lol. That event was really getting to me. We had frost the night after and I kinda ruined some green because I forgot to look for it and kept an eye on the tramway stuff.

It was the toughest decision of my life to make. I'm just really glad it all worked out, they had the gusts, everyone was off, and finally we have an emergency plan next time a wind event is about to hit.

Kevin

--------------------

Kevin, Do they still have snow/ice at the top of the Tram at this time? I think it was early April when my oldest son saw what he considered snow for the first time. I remember that it was mid 80's at the ground, no humidity and perfect for Floridians.

What you look for is what is looking

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway closed due to a weather forecast before-hand, which ended up in helping 1000 people from being stranded.

Those must be pretty big tram cars if the last one down at 6:00 PM held 1000 people? :blink:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

No lol. Started getting them all down in the afternoon. The meeting was at 12pm with me and the tram officials and we concluded 6pm would be a fine line between making revenue and putting a safety net on the attraction to not get them stranded.

Also, yes there is patchy snow still there. I was up there Wednesday in -6F wind chills and let me tell you, "Wow"

--------------------

Oh man I may have to look into shutting them again today. More stress on my end, but what time, probably evening. Ugg.

--------------------

Kevin

Do you work on the site\ tram? Probably don't need to since it is mostly model review, right? If you do get over there could you take some photos of the snow on top Mt. San Jacinto?

Good luck. Are you issuing a wind advisory? At what wind velocity does the tram shut down?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Data is at the home office setup so I don't have to go to the tram. I monitor the upper mountain station and tower wind gusts not seen on the tramway site.

I've done a High Wind Warning for the tramway and 70+ mph will be likely by Saturday morning, but most of this is this evening through Saturday morning.

There are tram cams on pstramway.com for snow etc, but there are patches of snow in the area at current.

Tram shuts down after 50 mph (gusts)

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

We hit 75-80 mph gusts at tower four and five during the warning period, with 72 mph gusts at the mountain station. This was all Saturday morning between 4am and 7am, but 45+ mph gusts were hitting Friday night after 8pm.

All and all, a good call to not put a strong word to shut the tram down, thus keeping the stronger winds overnight into Saturday morning when they will already be closed.

--------------------