IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS website - NEW feature

bgl

A great new feature has been added to the IPS website, www.palms.org: a very useful and powerful Search feature.

First log in (using your IPS password and log in information) - then select the "Information Search" option under the MEMBERS ONLY button. Then type in a keyword and press Search. One of my favorite all-time articles in Principes/Palms is an article by Don Hodel that was published in (what was then) Principes in 1993. Name of the article: "Growing Palms in Tahiti". If you type in "Hodel" in the Search box, the link is #18 on page 2. The article itself is extremely interesting, with lots of photos (unfortunately black & white), but what I find most fascinating is a chart with lots of different palms, and measuring their growth rate in many different ways.

Every IPS member should have received an e-mail from Liz with Account number (password) and User name. I received this information in an e-mail on March 4, 2009, and I would think all other IPS members received theirs at the same time. Keep this information easily accessible, because you WILL want to use the Search feature. I also tested it by typing in "Tahina", and it took me right to the article in which Tahina was described by Dr. John Dransfield, with color photos and all. Talk about having the information right there at your fingertips!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I just got the email from Liz about this. This is great! Now I can read articles from before I was ever an IPS member. Nice work IPS! Thanks. Hope this helps with membership. What a great resource.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Which leads us to an important point: if you ARE an IPS member but did NOT receive this e-mail about the Search function, then Liz probably does not have your e-mail address. If you believe this may be the case, send an e-mail to Liz at info@palms.org, and give her your full name and address plus the e-mail address you want the IPS to use.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an e-mail from Liz. She mentioned that there have been 409 searches on the IPS website over the last week, on these keywords:

Count Keyword

> ----- -------

> 18 hodel

> 18 chamaerops

> 18 sabal

> 17 chamaedorea

> 14 Sabal

> 11 copernicia

> 10 phoenix

> 9 dypsis

> 8 pritchardia

> 8 new

> 8 Pritchardia

> 7 Macrozamia

> 7 palm

> 7 caledonia

> 6 evans

> 6 Hodel

> 6 Pinanga

> 6 Cycas

> 6 trachycarpus

> 5 Cover

> 5 livistona

> 5 rigida

> 5 Pintaud

> 5 veitchia

> 5 with

> 4 humilis

> 4 brown

> 4 roystonea

> 4 org

> 4 Vol

> 4 wood

> 4 Supplement

> 4 palms

> 4 51

> 4 decipiens

> 4 broschat

> 4 pseudophoenix

> 4 areca

> 4 Birmingham

> 4 freeze

> 4 date

> 4 Trachycarpus

> 4 palmtalk

> 3 Madagascar

> 3 Caledonia

> 3 ravenea

> 3 Caryota

> 3 hemithrinax

> 3 germination

> 3 Geonoma

• 2 months later...

Has the popularity of the 'search' increased over the last month or so Bo?

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

A search for "tenerrima" (as in Chamaedorea tenerrima) turned up nothing. Have all the Palms/Principes journals been converted to pdf?

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

• 1 year later...

We became a member of IPS a couple of week ago. Is there any publication/ news letter of IPS that we can expect?

Koch/ garfield park Conservatory

We became a member of IPS a couple of week ago. Is there any publication/ news letter of IPS that we can expect?

Koch/ garfield park Conservatory

Go to the IPS Web Site HERE for additional IPS information including access to past issues of the IPS publication "Palms."

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.