IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax borhidiana

bayside mike

A double trunk coccothrinax borhidiana from one seed.

PalmPictures4109048.jpg

• Upvote 2

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

PalmPictures4109048.jpg

And a single

PalmPictures4109051.jpg

(305) 245-9544

PalmPictures4109048.jpg

And a single

PalmPictures4109051.jpg

And a few more

PalmPictures4109052.jpg

(305) 245-9544

No I'm sorry its not for sale. Just for show and tell

(305) 245-9544

Bayside,I remember going to my first Fairchild sale and casually requesting a Cocothrinax borhidiana.I had seen pictures of mature borhid's in Cuba and just assumed they would be plentiful.(ha ha) Those are incredible specimens and I only wish they grew more quickly.

What you look for is what is looking

Bayside,I remember going to my first Fairchild sale and casually requesting a Cocothrinax borhidiana.I had seen pictures of mature borhid's in Cuba and just assumed they would be plentiful.(ha ha) Those are incredible specimens and I only wish they grew more quickly.

Yeah they grow really slow. They just kind of sit there like a peace of antique furniture, furniture that you don't mind taking care of.

(305) 245-9544

Bayside, Those are masterpieces.Do you know of any mature borhids in Florida?

Bubba, Mike Harris has some bigger ones in the ground at his place.

Mike, those are some really nice looking borhidiana's. Do you happen to grow C. pseudorigida?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

[/quot

I have seen a few in peoples back yards. The biggest about five feet tall. Smaller ones (about 2'-4'feet tall) are becoming a little tiny bit more common. A few guys have them at nursery's down in Homestead ( FL).

(305) 245-9544

Bubba, Mike Harris has some bigger ones in the ground at his place.

Mike, those are some really nice looking borhidiana's. Do you happen to grow C. pseudorigida?

Thanks rozpalm. No I'm sorry I don't grow that one.

(305) 245-9544

Bayside,Would a 5 foot borhid be 30 years old? How much trunk?

I'm not sure about the age but I bet that's close. The trunk is kind of hidden but I would say its about a foot and a half or two feet.

(305) 245-9544

Here is one that is just over 60 inches tall. Has been in my garden for 3-4 years has easily doubled in size since we have had it.

Allen

post-473-1238939317_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of my C. borhidiana growing in Arizona.(right side of pic) It's been in the ground about 5 years and is 45 inches tall overall with about 10 inches of trunk.It is a steady grower,putting out 3 new fronds per year,although the petioles are now starting to strech as it is getting shaded by everything growing around it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

yard015.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

AZ, thats the first C. borhid. I've seen that doesn't look like one!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Do you know of any mature borhids in Florida?

Montgomery has several mature C. borhidianas in their collection.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

060.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Hai :)

Very impressive stills of C.B palms ! thanks for those excellant visuals.. :drool:

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Some at Montgomery are even fruiting.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

065.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Do you know of any mature borhids in Florida?

Montgomery has several mature C. borhidianas in their collection.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

060.jpg

wow man that is borhidiana Heaven

(305) 245-9544

AZ, thats the first C. borhid. I've seen that doesn't look like one!

Bill,

I can assure you that it is the real deal.When it was first installed,the petioles were right up against the trunk as in a typical sun grown speciman.This plant currently receives little to no direct sun and I have seen the petiole length increase over the years.Just shows how a plants charicteristics can change in proportion to the amount of sun it receives. :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

aztropic your palm looks like a coccothrinax but it does not look like a C. borhidiana. Maybe a close up of the trunk will show the truth. It could be stretched out and that is why it looks like another coccothrinax but I can't see the trunk to see if the webbing is the same. I would guess it is a sp.

David

Hot off the presses,taken minutes ago,are a couple of trunk shots of the palm in question.Check out the courseness of the "burlap". Other coccothrinax species are usually noticeably heavier or finer.The dead giveaway is that the newest burlap ends in upright,somewhat open "whispies" where all other coccothrinax that I've come across (except crinita)are usually very tight and almost look like they have been trimmed off with scissors.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

001-2.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

A little closer closeup of the "whispies"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

002-1.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

A little closer closeup of the "whispies"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

002-1.jpg

Nice stuff. I had know idea they would survive in Arizona

(305) 245-9544

Following pics illustrate some heavier and lighter burlaps,and the tight trimmed look of the new burlap.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

006.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

A different heavy burlap example.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

004.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Now a couple of fine burlap examples.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

005.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Another fine burlap example.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

003-1.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Az,That burlaping looks very similar to a Cocothrinax miraguama that I recently purchases from Mike Harris. The mature C borhid's that I have seen in Rifle and Craft's book(Cuba) shows a thin and bare trunk.Could your Palm be a C.miraguama? They seem to grow much faster.

Nope,not a miraguama.If you take a look at a miraguama,you will notice that it has a heavier,darker colored burlap,and a very formal "trimmed" appearance to the newest burlap.C. borhidiana has what I would call a medium density lighter colored burlap,and always has those looser upright whispies which no other Coccothrinax species has that I am aware of except for crinita which is way loose and rolls down upon itself.

Please post a closeup of your miraguama's newest burlap for a comparison if possible.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Maybe a shot at a different angle will better illustrate what I'm calling 'whispies' of a C. borhidiana.No other Coccothrinax species burlap looks quite like this.Due to its planted location up against walls that block the north and the west,this area receives zero direct summer sunlight,and as I've pointed out before,I've noticed a considerable stretch to the petioles and fronds from the very short and compact "bush" that it was 5 years ago. All in all,it appears to have added no more than 2 inches to the trunk height in the last 5 years.Not a fast grower by any stretch of the imagination.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

007-1.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Yes it looks right now that I can see the trunk. Its a little different looking for sure and it has a look similar to miraguama but I think it is the real thing.

David

I think both the Cocothrinax and Copernicia's should be broadly distributed throughout as many Palm growing regions as possible.Borhids in Az.Congratulations and spread them far and wide.

Dear aztropic :)

Thanks for all the stills & illustration with expliantions about the burlap texture etc..

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I think both the Cocothrinax and Copernicia's should be broadly distributed throughout as many Palm growing regions as possible.Borhids in Az.Congratulations and spread them far and wide.

I also have some Copernicia baileyana,macroglossa,and hospita varieties that I have grown from seed(all currently 1 gallon size)that I will start "testing"in the ground here this year.Unfortunately,if they were to actually do well here,I would have to get rid of them due to their eventual size.I already have a Bismarkia and Sabal that take up large real estate already. :lol:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

001-1.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Az,That burlaping looks very similar to a Cocothrinax miraguama that I recently purchases from Mike Harris. The mature C borhid's that I have seen in Rifle and Craft's book(Cuba) shows a thin and bare trunk.Could your Palm be a C.miraguama? They seem to grow much faster.

The plant being so close to the house probably limits the full sun , which would make the palm stretch and maybe look a little different.

(305) 245-9544

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else have a pic of borhidiana they would like to share.

(305) 245-9544