• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.

Coccothrinax borhidiana

48 posts in this topic

Coccothrinax is one gorgeous looking palm species! Of course I culd never grow it outdoors here but I reckon it would look great as a patio plant!

Last night I took photos of my Coccothrinax borhidiana (or the one that was sold to me as one back in 2005 or 2006). Looks like it might be the real deal. It's doubled its size to about 24" tall (a rocket). It's one lovely little palm.

post-1349-1240931504_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1240931530_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1240931556_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1240931584_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1240931609_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1240931638_thumb.jpg

Fabulous looking palm Meg,really nice specimen!

I have two Coccothrinax borhidiana in the ground. Yes, they are very slow growing but worth waiting for IMO. This is a very hardy palm in that it has been growing mostly on its own without supplemental water or fertilizer relying on nature for everything.

It was planted in an out of the way spot so I guess you could say I've neglected it. I think it's time I start to at least give it some fertilizer after a deep soaking and help it out a bit and see if that will give it a growth boost! LOL. What kind of fertilizer are the rest of you using who are growing this palm? Bayside Mike was asking for others to share their photos of this small attractive fan-palm, so here are a few pics of my largest one, now about 46 cm. (1.5 ft.) tall.

post-90-1241004695_thumb.jpg

post-90-1241004711_thumb.jpg

post-90-1241004729_thumb.jpg

post-90-1241004748_thumb.jpg

Last night I took photos of my Coccothrinax borhidiana (or the one that was sold to me as one back in 2005 or 2006). Looks like it might be the real deal. It's doubled its size to about 24" tall (a rocket). It's one lovely little palm.

I hate to say it Meg, but this one looks a little crossed up.

Maybe with thrinax radiata.

Edited by bayside mike

Do Thrinax & Coccothrinax interbreed? I know the Coccothrinax species like to get up close and personal, so a hybrid there wouldn't surprise me.

Do Thrinax & Coccothrinax interbreed? I know the Coccothrinax species like to get up close and personal, so a hybrid there wouldn't surprise me.

I am almost positive that Thrinax and cocothrinax interbreed. The reason I said radiata is because of how the leaflets go all the way around the frond.

Some other cocothrinax's do that, but radiatas are a lot more common.

Hello everyone.

Just a quick promo ad for this palm.....

NatureGirl/Xena WP/Charlene is selling the seeds on these.

I think Ill order a few.

Cheers